Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Please Tell Me Exactly How You Put On Your Boat Cover...

I think some of you guys sat on your poles. Sheesh!

Anywho, after having owned a bunch of both traditional bow and pickle fork boats, one thing I can say is that the covers go one the axis series boats way easier than with an lsv or vlx because the front of the cover never slips off of the nose of the boat when putting it on.

Not sure about the lsv or vlx, but the VTX cover has a strap that you can secure on the bow eye. Nice since the cover can't slip off like my old runabout cover did.

In the back. A tight boat cover doesn't hold water in the front, there is plenty of slope. The factory cover for my VTX only has the one pole that sits a couple feet in front of the back seats.

The cover that came with my boat has three snap-in poles. I agree that it is not the best cover, but it does seem to work best with all three poles in place. It doesn't take much water pooling to start a sag that turns into a swimming pool.

It doesn't take much water pooling to start a sag that turns into a swimming pool.

After a gorgeous day yesterday full of sun & high 70s, we had a fun little spring storm about 5 pm with some crazy amount of rain & hail. I haven't seen it come down like that in years. Luckily the weatherman predicted it & I drove the truck to work rather than being stuck riding home on the bike in the mess!

Anyway, by the time I got home the storm had cleared up so I had to go down to the dock to check out the boats. Of the 8 boats down there (3 of which are Malibus) I found 5 of them with a ton of water pooled up on the covers. Even the Sunscape with the Sharkskin cover had about 10 gallons of water on it. But the 9 yr old Rankin came thru it dry as a bone. :rockon:

I think the boat with the most water on the cover was the Mastercraft X2 with the 3 pole setup. The water had pooled up in 4 different locations, on either side of the poles, behind & in front of the windshield. The first pole behind the windshield had poked thru the cover from the weight & all the water was draining down into the boat. Come to find out the owner said this is the 2nd cover she's had do this on that boat. I guess the dealer's fix is to just replace it with the same POS cover. :Doh:

I have a few ideas here :)

It seems to me that anyone buying a boat is going to invest the money in a good cover sans poles? Why not omit any cover option that the dealer gives you and buy an evo?

Or if your boat came with a cover why not sell it to some unsuspecting fellow and use the proceeds to get a good cover?

Or mark he locations of the poles and pay someone 50 bucks to sew in pockets or reinforcements with snaps and snaps on end of pole so you can install them as you roll it back.

After all we pay X amount of dollars to have surf pockets sewn into biminis right? Why not kill two birds and have both done same time?

This thread is super dumb after all. Bobby Bright is right. :lol:

Instead of calling his friends dumb my 11 year old says, "be a problem solver". He even uses it on me :lol:

Edited by Ruffdog

I should have never started this dumb, stupid, retarded, useless thread....but thanks for the idea of sewing my poles in or reminding me of those hangtyte. Who knows the next time I put that cover on.

Haha it's not starting the thread that was dumb. It's the conversation after that and 6 pages :lol:

Thats my favorite thing about this forum....makes my day job go by quicker

:rofl: Dude. Are you TRYING to get Andy P to murder you? :rofl:

Just having some summer fun. It must come from my Dad. He was a Navy guy and he drilled that stuff into us. We never had any rope on our boat, it was a line.

I can't believe there are 5 pages of this so far. It is kind of like asking how do you put your pants on :lol:

Nose to tail since both my covers have rachets on the rear. Pretty simple as others have described!

I tow my boat 2-3 hrs (1-1.5 hrs one way) every time I go out, depending where I go. I use both the lighter cover and a better weather cover depending on conditions. I prefer to tow without the cover, but the road dirt/dust does make it into the boat more than I would like on windy days. With the covers in place poles typically damage the material. The same for attachment points if hooked/suspended from the tower. There is no doubt dirt will get between the cover and the gel-coat and rub, same goes for the straps, depending where they are attached. It is always about choices or what you can live with.

8021715949_76ec9b7232_z.jpg

I use wood 2x4s with plywood and on both sides if I leave it parked out in the weather.

Edited by Iceberg

Just having some summer fun. It must come from my Dad. He was a Navy guy and he drilled that stuff into us. We never had any rope on our boat, it was a line.

Yeah, totally, I just thought it was funny. I try to always use the correct nautical terms as much as possible.... good habit to be in..... And amazing how fewer words go farther when ya do

It is kind of like asking how do you put your pants on.

I generally put my pants on left leg first, then the right leg. Sometimes I sit on the edge of the bed and put both legs in at the same time. I normally always put my shirt on after my pants. If I'm going to work, I tuck the shirt in and wear a belt. Otherwise, it's almost always shorts and a tee shirt.

I generally put my pants on left leg first, then the right leg. Sometimes I sit on the edge of the bed and put both legs in at the same time. I normally always put my shirt on after my pants. If I'm going to work, I tuck the shirt in and wear a belt. Otherwise, it's almost always shorts and a tee shirt.

Oh man.....I'll tell you .....do I HATE those belts! Don't even get me started. What a total PITA those things are! First, I put on my pants....and then I have to put on a belt to hold them up too?!?! Bogus.

• Like 2