Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Please Tell Me Exactly How You Put On Your Boat Cover...

Bill, do you not really sweat the rub rail hooks while your moored? I seem to remember when I had the Evo on my Skier I had to walk around to boat in the water to make sure the rub rail hooks were seated.

Good point, Levi. I don't if the weather is supposed to be nice. If there is rain in the forecast, then I'll hook the two on each side behind the tower, which is where it might pool up.

I don't think mine has ever pooled up when it was moored. Only when it was sitting on the trailer facing slightly downhill..... which is conveniently how my driveway is setup. Then I'll make sure the rub rail hooks are in place & the bungee is in the D-ring & the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way ours are that simple. Towers, retractable pylons, mirrors, etc make it far more complicated. And doing it from inside the boat is where your technique really counts. Plus I haven't had trailer straps in years.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Good point, Levi. I don't if the weather is supposed to be nice. If there is rain in the forecast, then I'll hook the two on each side behind the tower, which is where it might pool up.

I don't think mine has ever pooled up when it was moored. Only when it was sitting on the trailer facing slightly downhill..... which is conveniently how my driveway is setup. Then I'll make sure the rub rail hooks are in place & the bungee is in the D-ring & the tower.

Thanks BIll, I've been dreaming about putting my Evo on the LSV on the lift lately... :drool:

• Like 1

I do this by myself all the time. Best method I have found is place cover on platform. Grab the nose section and drag it to front of bow. Start spreading cover working back towards rear of boat.

When I remove the cover I walk to bow and take off center section, walk back to swim platform and pull the cover back to me. This makes it easy to do the above install method. Many different methods, this one seems to be the easiest for me with one person.

I know its not Rocket Science...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, you started a thread on how to do it. :lol:

Seriously tho, wanna trade boats? :woot: My cover is SO easy to put on, my tower takes one toddler to collapse and my bimini........well, my bimini is a total PITA........ but it puts out about 4x the shade as those cute little DirecTV dishes you guys have. Like I said, you can even keep the barn doors! C'mon Afun: do it, do it, do it.

• Like 1

And can someone puh-lease explain why the pole is a big deal? I know I'm missing something here (not unusual), but why would you have to send someone under the covered boat to put the pole in? Can't you just put it in as you're rolling the cover back???

• Like 2

I know its not Rocket Science...

Neither is the Bimini yet you seem to have some sort of hatred for putting it up. I out mine up by myself in less than 2 min, starting with a zipped up boot.

And can someone puh-lease explain why the pole is a big deal? I know I'm missing something here (not unusual), but why would you have to send someone under the covered boat to put the pole in? Can't you just put it in as you're rolling the cover back???

Don't know or care what boat you have, but if you had one of the larger boats you'd know it requires 3 poles. Not 1, 3 poles.

Crawling forward in the dark under a hot cover is a PITA, and any guy of size, say 185lbs or bigger, can barely fit thru the front walkway on hands and knees because our shoulders are too wide. Dark under there trying to remember which pole goes where, they are sized different, PITA. Also the edges are sharp, you are worried about cutting vinyl and gouging stuff. Also the bow pole stretches out the front seat vinyl unless you use your windstop to distribute the load on the vinyl, yet another step.

• Like 2

Don't know or care what boat you have, but if you had one of the larger boats you'd know it requires 3 poles. Not 1, 3 poles.

Classy, like always.

And for the record, I have an 09 Vride. It requires 50k, not 150k. I'm no pro, no need to pose like one.

And you still didn't answer my (good-natured) question: Why can't you place them as you roll the cover out? That's all I was asking.

And I was clearly being self-deprecating "I'm clearly missing something (which isn't unusual)". You must have missed that while you were busy crafting your response.

Edited by -BS-

You always contribute so much.

If you try to position the poles in their cover slots before the cover is 90% or better stretched all that way back under the transom rubrail, they will fall out and you run the risk of gouging something with the sharp ended poles as they fall.... Or they will be as wrong drastic angles not at their full extension from the cover moving and you have a saggy cover. It's not till you pull the cover under that rear rubrail that the cover is finally in its final position, stable enough to put the poles in. Usually I had to secure one of the rear corner straps and then head in back under the cover to prop up the cover with the 3 poles. Major PITA. Try to do it the way you suggest, the poles will eventually fall and maybe scrape something. Then you are crawling around under a hot cover in the dark trying to figure out which pole is which, and how to contort your body to crawl thru the walkway to the bow with a sharp pole.

^^^^ hence my earlier post, Hangtyte ended my pole/cover nitemare.

Well, if you get some gaffer's tape and put marks on the floor where the poles go, you can just set the poles on the marks as you unroll the cover. Unless you use milk bags. You can just tape those to the floor and leave them. Just put the poles back in the middle of them next time.

Better yet, slit the carpet and slide the milk bags underneath in the right spots. Always ready for action!

This thread is retarded.

^^^^^ what I was getting at, but stated much more eloquently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I only see the need for one pole if the cover is built right. If you NEED more than that, get a better cover

Wait... Where does that one pole go? In front of the windshield, or behind it? Both places can hold water.

^^^^^ what I was getting at, but stated much more eloquently. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad part is it's taken way more time to type out the question and keep posting than it would have to just sit down and think about it logically for 5 minutes.

Inboard owners PROBLEMS!

I think some of you guys sat on your poles. Sheesh!

Anywho, after having owned a bunch of both traditional bow and pickle fork boats, one thing I can say is that the covers go one the axis series boats way easier than with an lsv or vlx because the front of the cover never slips off of the nose of the boat when putting it on.

Wait... Where does that one pole go? In front of the windshield, or behind it? Both places can hold water.

In the back. A tight boat cover doesn't hold water in the front, there is plenty of slope. The factory cover for my VTX only has the one pole that sits a couple feet in front of the back seats.

Edited by oldjeep