Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Please Tell Me Exactly How You Put On Your Boat Cover...

I rather exaggerate to make the point... But poles are that much of a PiTA and the Hangtyte works that's good. I've had it on my last 3 boats... And remember back when I was the dummy crawling back under a hot cover on my hands and knees to prop the cover back up.

One well placed Hangtyte will replace the need for all 3 poles, even on the biggest boats. Now for long term winter storage... I would want to use poles.

With storage like that, do you even use a cover? That's big time along with you mad at a ramp in Sperrys.

Preach on. I hate putting the poles in. Hangtyme cover and carport keeps my boat clean. I need a swimdeck cover now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

My boat stays here. Brought it back home for the first time since last season. I now remember how much I hate the cover. I hate the cover, but the Bimini is a close second.

13859896544_1d06f6e8e1_z.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

Dude, where's all your stuff? Are you going to tell us that your wife's barn is all messy, and you can't understand how she can keep it that way?

• Like 2

I do it easy way. I have my son do it. But i help/supervise from the ground. Don't use the poles as long as it is in covered storage. If out at the house he crawls in and puts poles in. Piece of cake!

MalibuNation

When taking the cover off I start from the rear and roll it towards the front and and when I get close to the nose portion of the cover I stop that way it's easier to find the nose section.

When I'm moored, I start at the nose & roll it back. When I get to the front tower legs I zip up the front & run the drawstring into the middle section. Then step back, close the window, pull the cover back to the rear legs, run the drawstring to the front section & hook it up, then zip the cover up around rear legs. Then pull the cover to the rear, secure all 5 straps & the drawstring & I'm done. At that point I'm standing on the swimstep & can step on the dock.

I have a D ring in the middle of the cover right below the tower & can run a bungee to the tower, similar to the Hangtyte setup. But the only time I use it is when there is torrential rain or heavy snow going to fall on the cover. And usually the boat wouldn't be in the water during times like that. But I can secure the bungee about the time I'm zipping up around the rear tower legs.

Pretty funny that there is a product like Hangtyte out there when guys like Cory have been installing that for quite a while now. Looks like the patent dates back to August of 2011 & I know for a fact that I've had it on my own boat for longer than that. And I got the idea from Cory who had installed them for a couple years before that.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

If you are still using poles you are in the Stone Age.

Hangtyte

You guys using the hangtyte with your oem covers? I'm about to put the plastic base piece (its actually a pole vent) in the cover then just put a small eye-bolt on there and synch it up like the hangyte. Pretty much the same idea. Someone on this site recommended not too long ago.

I also just dropped my boat and cover off at a canvas shop to have a mod done around the tower to keep the water from pouring in its when raining. I'm going to have then cut out around the cleat as well as we keep out boat in slip for most of the season.

If you place the poles on a bag of milk, they will stay in place while you tighten the cover.

People who don't read the forum regularly may stumble upon this and actually try it :rofl:

• Like 2

Jgates- yes, for use with OEM covers... I guess you could use the OEM pole holder and attach off that for a Hangtyte style retention, but 2 issues:

The OEM pole holders aren't rated for the level of pressure a Hangtyte would be able to handle. OEM is a simple hole thru the fabric, and a washer/ grommet style of distributing the load over a larger area. Hangtyte is the same, however it's also clamped with teeth in the 6" circle grabbing the fabric in all directions. It'll hold more weight much longer than the OEM pole mounts.i would be worried about a single pole mount pulling thru the fabric.

The OEM pole holders may not be in the right location for a good lift point, meaning angle could be off and actually create a sag area where water would pool up big time. My last boat I didn't get the lift location right, and I had this sag issue ^^^. Would be different for every model of boat and cover.

Still waiting to hear how afun does it...

I start at the bow and work my way back, ideally with someone on the other side keeping up. I don't use poles unless I'm traveling a long ways.

I've got a Commercial Sewing cover, which apparently isn't as technologically advanced as some of the covers I'm reading about here. But other than having to waterproof the thing yearly I can't imagine it being more functional or any easier. (*I did have to try a couple different waterproofing products & application methods before I figured it out. Turns out, the easiest & cheapest method was the best: leave cover on boat on hot day....303 waterproofer... $30....15 minutes...done deal). Anyway....

1. Start at the nose and roll it back to the windshield

2. Close the window, reach over the windshield grab the cover, and continue unrolling the cover to the tower

3. Buckle the clasps around the tower and stick the pole in it's mount (when rain is expected)

4 Finish unrolling the cover to the transom and step onto the swimstep

5. Ratchet it tight

From the time we pull in the slip, to the time we're walking down the dock; maybe 10 minutes. The cover is maybe 90 seconds of that? I guess it takes maybe 15 minutes on a day when there's 6 or 7 people that need to get all their stuff collected (that's what actually takes the longest). That includes tying it up, getting all the boards down and stowed, wrapping the bungees neatly around the rack, cleaning out any garbage, putting all the odds & ends back in their home and covering it.

I've got a Commercial Sewing cover, which apparently isn't as technologically advanced as some of the covers I'm reading about here. But other than having to waterproof the thing yearly I can't imagine it being more functional or any easier. (*I did have to try a couple different waterproofing products & application methods before I figured it out. Turns out, the easiest & cheapest method was the best: leave cover on boat on hot day....303 waterproofer... $30....15 minutes...done deal).

Somewhere I got the impression there might be a problem if 303 came in contact with the fiberglass or vinyl. The bottle itself says, "Not for vinyl, clear vinyl, plastics, rubber, fiberglass or imitation suede."

Anyone have any issues with it? BS, apparently you've treated the cover while it's on the boat & not had any issues, right?

My cover has poles and I was TIRED of dealing with them. Years ago, my dad came up with a cheap easy solution if you don't want to install the hangtyte or get a new cover. I have used this method for years with no problem.

Measure the height your poles need to be for the cover.

Cut a 2x4 to that length.

Cut a circular piece of plywood about 18" in diameter.

Cut a square piece of plywood about 24".

Screw the circular piece to one end and the square piece to the other.

I carpet both the upper and lower piece with any extra marine carpet I have laying around using spray adhesive.

Put the supports where the poles go and viola'. You may have to position them a little differently than the poles, but once you figure out once where they go, put them in and roll the cover out over them. Now that I know where mine go, they don't fall and are a lot less hassle than poles. No need to fiddle with poles falling and you have alot more support for the cover than what the pole gives.

Not to mention cheaper than a new cover, even though at some point in the near future, when my current cover is toast, I will be contacting Cory to get an evolution cover.

If it's stored in that nice closed garage, and knowing how often you use it, why bother with the cover?

I brought the boat home after the gel coat repair.

How can you manage to get all the ballast in your boat, but not just put a boat cover on? Come on Ninja :dontknow::frantic:

Look, I hate the cover with the passion period. Bimini comes in second place. I just hate it. Its going back in the barn next week.

If those hangtytes eliminate the poles, it will be worth the purchase.

Edited by Afun

Along the same lines as this do any of you tow with the cover on? I haven't been but the other day it looked like rain so considered it. It seems to fit so tight it would be ok. I asked the dealer when I picked up the boat. They said it can be done but not to unless it was raining because it could scratch the gel. So I was scared to.

Somewhere I got the impression there might be a problem if 303 came in contact with the fiberglass or vinyl. The bottle itself says, "Not for vinyl, clear vinyl, plastics, rubber, fiberglass or imitation suede."

Anyone have any issues with it? BS, apparently you've treated the cover while it's on the boat & not had any issues, right?

That's what I've done too. No issues yet after two years of doing it. Of course, my boat already isn't perfect or new.

How else do you get the cover stretched out taught to get product to cover evenly?

That's what I've done too. No issues yet after two years of doing it. Of course, my boat already isn't perfect or new.

How else do you get the cover stretched out taught to get product to cover evenly?

Well, after I read that & that the 303 shouldn't come in contact with the fiberglass, I took the cover off, ran a strip of packaging stretch wrap around the entire boat, then put the cover back on. Then sprayed it. 2 bottles of it. Over the course of about a week. The bottle says it should be done in 70 degree temps.... it may have touched 70 during the day but was definitely not that warm at night. Wondering if maybe I should do it in the summer rather than the spring. And not bother with the stretch wrap.

Along the same lines as this do any of you tow with the cover on? I haven't been but the other day it looked like rain so considered it. It seems to fit so tight it would be ok. I asked the dealer when I picked up the boat. They said it can be done but not to unless it was raining because it could scratch the gel. So I was scared to.

All the time. But I have a Rankin (predecessor to the Evo) & don't use poles. Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Couple times and the PO did it all the time. Factory 2012 Grey Malibu cover, haven't noticed any marks from it. Only have one pole, but didn't have it in when towing.

Well, after I read that & that the 303 shouldn't come in contact with the fiberglass, I took the cover off, ran a strip of packaging stretch wrap around the entire boat, then put the cover back on. Then sprayed it. 2 bottles of it.

That would have been my suggestion if you had concern. No harm in doing it that way and added protection--I say keep doing it that way.