Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Meguiar's or 3M compound?

Which buffing compound is the best for moderate to heavy oxidation? Meguiar’s or 3M?

I do not have any scratches but my gel coat color is faded. I will be using a power buffer.

I am leaning to the Meguiar’s # 67 One Step Compound. If I go with a lighter compound like the #49 Oxidation Remover it could take longer and need two applications. This is my first gel coat restore job so, any help is appreciated.

Edited by wkendwarrior

If you don't want the oxidation to come back as fast, wet sand the oxidation off with 2000 grit, then use Meguiars 105, it's a heavy duty chemical compound. Use a wool pad or a cutting foam pad. Start slow RPM's (600) with some pressure and work a 2'X2' section, as the compound begins to dry it turns into a polish! Speed up to 1500-1800 RPM's and very light on pressure. Wipe away residue with a micro fiber. Follow with Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. Results will be amazing! Post pics.

Edited by skurfer

Rubbing Compound, then 3M Finesse It II, then wax. I use 3M Ultra Performance Marine Paste Wax below the rub rail and Woody Wax above the rub rail (it's not as slippery).

ahopkins22LSV
Ford vs Chevy

Dead on. Both are great products and if you follow the proper cut, polish, wax steps with either you will be fine. I personally use 3M Imperial compound then 3M Finese It followed but Meguires flagship wax. Just my personal preference. Sometimes I throw a coat of Collinite wax on after the flagship. Adds a bit more pop IMO but doesn't last that long.

Ford vs Chevy

I thought the same thing. I was looking for some tips (and got several) on how coarse of a compound to go with to save some time.

How bad is the oxidation? I had an older boat that 2000 grit wouldn't touch, had to start with 400 grit.

The blue & yellow are not oxidized to bad but the white has NO gloss or shine. I tried some Meguiar’s #49 Oxidation remover today. I knew it was not going to remove all the oxidation but I had some and wanted to give it a try. The #49 made the blue & yellow look better with a little shine. But it did not do anything for the white.

Maybe this was a mistake but I peeled off my BU log because it had a scratch across it. I knew under the decal the gel coat would look brand new and not be the same color. I thought it would be easy to buff out where the decal was. Now I’m not so sure.

Wet sanding sounds scary to me. Just don’t want to go to deep or make swirl marks. I may start slow in a small area.

Thanks to all,

Wet sanding sounds scary to me. Just don’t want to go to deep or make swirl marks. I may start slow in a small area.

Thanks to all,

Wet sanding the 1st time is intimidating. But a boats gel coat is much tougher/thicker than automotive clear coat.

Keep in mind, when you're all done sanding/buffing the gel coat should be very shiny, not really need wax to look good. The reason cars and boats look good after being waxed is wax fills in all the small imperfections. So you want to check your completed work with it dry and not waxed.