Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Confused about v-drive/transmission fluid specs

In all the searching I have done on the site I am very confused with what I have read. I have a 2008 23LSV with the 340 Monsoon. In the manual it says for the v-drive use SAE30 and in the transmission use ATF. I have read multiple accounts of forum members telling people to use ATF in both of them depending on the type of v-drive/transmission. I just want to make sure I add the right juice to the right spots, any definitive answers would be great!

Thank you in advance.

It depends on what you have. Mine uses ATF in the tranny & SAE30 for the Walters Vdrive. I know at one point Malibu started using a unit that both use the same fluid. Someone will be along to clarify.

It depends on which unit you have. Mine uses ATF in both the main gearbox and the v-drive. Each dipstick on my boat has an "ATF only" warning.

For the v-drive units:

ZF Hurth Ski-Vee, ZF 45 IV, uses Dexron III ATF

ZF Hurth V-drive, ZF 63 IV, uses Pennzoil 15W40

Walters V-drive, RV 260 71 V, uses SAE 30

Edited by srab

2008 should have the ski-fee in it so use ATF, Malibu boats stopped using the Walter unit around 2005 and they have never used the Hurth (this is a single trans/vdrive all in one box so only has a single dipstick and is a lot more compact than having 2 units and is commonly found in MasterCraft boats