Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer tire size

I have car tires on my trailer and I am going to replace them with Goodyear Marathons. What size are you running. The tires on my trailer now are 225 75 15. Someone suggested 205 75 15. I have a single axle trailer, does it really make a difference?

DO these trailers perform any different (tandem axle) with different tires on them. I have some worn out goodyears on mine and I looking to replace them with just regular car tires (cheap) am I making a mistake by doing so or will I even notice a difference.

DO these trailers perform any different (tandem axle) with different tires on them. I have some worn out goodyears on mine and I looking to replace them with just regular car tires (cheap) am I making a mistake by doing so or will I even notice a difference.

I have been told that would be a BIG mistake. Trailer tires have a whole different job performance requirement than car tires do. Case in point, driving for hours then dumping them in cool water while hot.

Spend the bucks.

Can't see spending huge bucks on the world's best boat just to see it trashed in the ditch somwhere because you saved $50 per on tires. Not a good pay back.

...I have some worn out goodyears on mine and I'm looking to replace them with just regular car tires (cheap)
Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls than regular passenger car tires for two reasons. 1) Stiffer sidewalls help to reduce tire roll which makes the trailer track straighter in turns and on winding roads. 2) Stiffer sidewalls deform less when sitting loaded for extended periods of time. A regular car tire would form quite a flat spot over the winter. Trailer tires (Goodyear Marathons) aren't that much more $$ than car tires so unless you launch your boat in the spring, put it on a lift, and then load it back up in the fall (and store the trailer on jack stands) just get good quality trailer tires. Edited by NorCaliBu

I have zero concerns about having "car" tyres on my trailer. Max speed it only gets towed at is 90kph (that's about 55mph which is legal limit in NZ) and the tyres are Z rated, something like 250kph supercar speeds. Generally only go about 300m @ 30kph from storage to lake but occassionally longer trips, maybe 1000km per year total.

The boat & trailer weight less than many cars these type tyres would be fitted to so weight no issue. Sidewall flex minimal with 45 profile and way within supercar side loads so they won't fail because of sideload.

Anyone would have to be nuts to drive long distances then dunk the trailer instantly into a cold lake. Tyre heat would be least of your problems, stuffed wheel bearings would be as they suck in the water water. Anyway it takes 5-10 minutes to remove the cover, check fluids etc so heat from the road isn't an issue.

My bu sits for 4 weeks max between uses, less standing time than many family second cars so again flat spot no issues.

I'm ok with what I have but it is a tandem trailer. If it were a single axle I'd probably stick with light truck rated tyres that are designed for carrying load.