Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Launching with Jeep Wrangler

jslipher

We have a Jeep Wrangler (4-door) that we plan to use to launch our VLX. The tow distance from storage to boat ramp is only 1 mile, so I'm not too worried about towing. But I am a little nervous about loading/unloading the boat at the ramp. The ramp is fully concreted though, above and below water line. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Your are so lucky to be so close and to get to keep the jeep. I had to trade in my 2013 4 door wranger with 5k miles to get something to haul the boat with. It was 8 months old, had already lifted it and put 35's on it. I still miss it but now the boat is here it is a little easier.

I think you'll be fine, though I have no direct experience with launching (yet). Tongue weight will probably be an issue, but like you said for 1 mile no biggie.

I will add that I love my '14 JKU.

post-8942-0-90647600-1400507563_thumb.jp

post-8942-0-87078200-1400507573_thumb.jp

We have a Jeep Wrangler (4-door) that we plan to use to launch our VLX. The tow distance from storage to boat ramp is only 1 mile, so I'm not too worried about towing. But I am a little nervous about loading/unloading the boat at the ramp. The ramp is fully concreted though, above and below water line. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I wouldn't worry about it. I just tested my new Wrangler yesterday at the ramp. Didn't have any trouble at all and I didn't even need to bother putting it in 4.

I have a 2dr rubicon and launch a VLX. It launches fine, you may be a little surprised with how much it rolls backwards with the stock torque converter (unless you have a manual). I travel the same distance, about a mile. Anything over that and it gets ugly. Not sure if you are lifted or not, but with a stock suspension I might suggest some Timbren rubber helper "springs" in the rear. They made a big difference for me.

ahopkins22LSV

If he is only towing a mile, I would not worry about being over capacity. I would also assume since it is only a mile the speed limit is 35mph ish.

I would suggest using the e-brake once you get the trailer into position to avoid rocking back from the boat weight when launching. When pulling the boat out I would again suggest using the e-brake when you get the trailer into position, get the boat winched up, and then release the e-brake after pressing the brake in to avoid rock again. Then gently give it gas while slowing releasing the brake and you will walk right out without and roll back. It will take a time or too to get it right without having any roll back or revving the engine high. But you should be fine on an all concrete ramp.

Tow rating on the 2dr is 2500lbs and it launches just fine and get's it to the launch (30mph) pretty well. Not ideal, but you gotta work with it. Suspension mods to increase safety are very helpful so you aren't sitting on bump stops. If you have a stock suspension and think you aren't sitting on them, look again.

I just received my Air Lift 1000 kit for my JKU last week. I pulled my single axle Echelon Lx around while cleaning it and it did not feel right, so I'm adding the adjustable air bags. My Jeep is tow rated at 3,500lbs (3.73 differential), and that puts the max tongue weight at 350lbs. Pretty sure that's right where my boat and trailer will be. That is a lot of weight back there on stock suspension. Throw some gear and kids in the back of the Jeep, and it would not be good at all. A VTX on a double axle probably comes in around 5k pounds, so that's likely 500lbs of tongue weight (assuming tongue weight is 10% of trailer, which is the standard). For $80 shipped, the adjustable air bags should be a good call, I still have to install them though.

What year? Even so, you guys are all over 3500lbs if you are towing anything but a response - and even over on that if it is on a tandem.

I can't speak to all years, but mine is a 2014. I'm pretty sure the specs are the same for the 2012s and 2013s too.

Yikes! I'd be a little leery of trying to launch a boat loaded with gas, batteries, gear, etc. VLX with gas and all has to be over 4000#. If your ramp is steep at all, that would scare me.......1500# over what you are rated to tow at (is max 2500?), and going up a steep incline with a wet boat??? I'm a bit on the conservative (chicken) side, but personally I wouldn't risk my vehicle and or boat on something like that.

Yikes! I'd be a little leery of trying to launch a boat loaded with gas, batteries, gear, etc. VLX with gas and all has to be over 4000#. If your ramp is steep at all, that would scare me.......1500# over what you are rated to tow at (is max 2500?), and going up a steep incline with a wet boat??? I'm a bit on the conservative (chicken) side, but personally I wouldn't risk my vehicle and or boat on something like that.

He has a 4-door which is rated to 3500 lbs.

He has a 4-door which is rated to 3500 lbs.

Which has the same driveline as other SUV's rated at 4,500lbs. The lower rating on the Wranglers is due to the topless/doorless design and less rigidity (so they say).

Which has the same driveline as other SUV's rated at 4,500lbs. The lower rating on the Wranglers is due to the topless/doorless design and less rigidity (so they say).

With a weight distributing hitch. I had a Nitro for a year or so & got rid of it. I believe that it's similar running gear (except for the transfer case). Wasn't that great a tow rig. Would be fine for a mile or so & had enough oooomph to get the boat out of the lake with the best of circumstances. I wasn't about to hassle with the WDH all the time. And it had "tail wagging the dog" issues on the freeway.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

He also has a 4wd. If it struggles pulling out, put that thing in 4L and creep out. I'd be more nervous about stopping on the 1 mile journey to and from.

This. He will be fine. I just helped a friend launch/retrieve a boat that was way over (almost double) his towing capacity. Used 4L to get back up the ramp and was just fine.

This. He will be fine. I just helped a friend launch/retrieve a boat that was way over (almost double) his towing capacity. Used 4L to get back up the ramp and was just fine.

Most of the time. Just remember that 4wd doesn't counteract the fact that his boat weighs more than his "tow vehicle". I own and have owned quite a lot of jeeps and the one thing that I would never consider using one for would be towing a heavy trailer.

Edited by oldjeep

With the Nitro, stopping was never a problem going forward. The trailer had brakes so the whole thing stopped better than the Nitro did by itself. But going backwards down a steep ramp that is a different story. The back brakes had a tendency to lock up & then the boat is dragging the truck down the ramp into the water & I'm barely in control of any of it. As the boat touches the water, the weight pulling the truck is reduced so it would stop.... eventually. The ramp I use on my home lake is pretty shallow so there was never a problem there. But imagine one of the ramps at Shasta or Oroville where it's steep & a 1/4 mile long!

And cruising along a highway at 60 mph & a big truck goes by the other direction.... that would easily get the dog waggin.

Most of the time. Just remember that 4wd doesn't counteract the fact that his boat weighs more than his "tow vehicle". I own and have owned quite a lot of jeeps and the one thing that I would never consider using one for would be towing a heavy trailer.

Have you driven a new Wrangler Unlimited?

Have you driven a new Wrangler Unlimited?

yes. And it is built about the same as my daughters 97 tj but has a weaker engine. I love jeeps, but wranglers are not built to tow heavy. Good luck