Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sony head unit won't power on :(

hethj7

I'm guessing it's a lost cause, but if you know any tricks, let me know.

I have power to the harness and if I reset the head unit, the screen comes on, like in a demo mode. But, as soon as I hit the source button, it turns off and then is completely unresponsive. When it is in this state, the remote wire for amps turns itself off/on every 1-2 seconds (verified by both a test light and listening to my amp solenoid click). I can reset it, get the demo mode again, but again it goes unresponsive.

Any tricks, or do I just start looking for a replacement?

Check the blade fuse at the back of the headunit. My old sony would do this when it was blown, the demo mode would still come on but there was zero functionality.

Hethj7...I'm in the process of swapping out my HU. Pulling out a Sony CDX-M50IP (guessing 3-4 yrs old, works fine). If interested and you're lucky, it may have same harness as your dead one. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer. We will see. I am a bit baffled now. Went to the ramp today and boat wouldn't start (it cranked fine in the driveway yesterday). Stereo battery tested bad so I got a new one to install. That could have been part of my HU issue too, although it would initially power on. I am concerned now my voltage sensing relay between the house and starting battery isn't working right as it should have protected my starting battery from going dead. Maybe I have two bad batteries now?? I will do some more troubleshooting this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the new battery solved all my issues. I guess there was just enough juice in the old battery to make the head unit act up. I must have some wires bypassing the VSR though because it should have protected the starting battery from draining. I will have to trace that out another day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk