Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX - Surf Wake Problems...Fixed Wedge Problem?

NormRD

Ok, first a little background. On my old 2000 VLX we had no issues getting a good surf wake on both regular and goofy sides, we have been surfing for several years and understand the fine-tuning and weighting your boat.

On my 05 VLX, we can get a surfable wave but not much more. Have tired a ton of setups and speeds and seems nothing is getting us that great wave. So wondering if possibly it's due to our fixed wedge. Seems most with this hull have the power wedge and run 1-2 clicks up. We have mostly tried with just the wedge as it seems most suggest you "need" to use it unless running a ton of weight.

Best setups so far: (but have tired a ton of setups...usually start will all full except other side)

Goofy: Front filled, center 1/2, rear full + 750 piggy back on top, +250 starboard side seat or people, wedge down.

Regular: Front filled, center filled, rear full + 750 piggy back on top, + 500 on port side seats, wedge down.

I also have a home made NSS type system I can add on but so far it hasn't seem to help as much as on our old boat.

This has made a surf able wave...but not very long and not a ton of push.

Any help appreciated, just trying to get this dialed in.

Thanks,
Norm

Edited by NormRD

Hey norm. We frequently surf behind the same hull no wedge. That boat should make a great wave.

You really need 500 in the bow on the surf side and a little more weight in general on the surf side.

Edited by Ruffdog

I have an 05 VLX also and run almost the same setup.. I have been pretty happy with the wake, but you have may wondering if I can get it better. I am curious, what speed do you think is working best? We usually run at 10.3 to 10.5 .. the faster the better if I have enough weight.

We have the factor bow ballast...so you think we need to add even more? I have moved folks up there in the goofy setup on on the regular I need them in the back to get some push.

Have tried speeds from 9.8-11. Seems we usually run 10.3-10.5.

Are you guys using the wedge?

We have the factor bow ballast...so you think we need to add even more? I have moved folks up there in the goofy setup on on the regular I need them in the back to get some push.

Have tried speeds from 9.8-11. Seems we usually run 10.3-10.5.

Are you guys using the wedge?

Yep... I use the wedge.. seems to me it helps.

Can't tell from your description, but it seems you have the non-surf rear take full. It should not be used at all. Also fill center tank completely.

The few times we tried with no wedge we didn't have much push.

Me either. But I got a 1100 pound sac now. When I filled it & put the wedge down the wave was HUGE. Unnecessarily huge. Could've just stuck with the 750.

Do you with no wedge add more weight? Seems mine has no push without wedge but wave gets tall & very small pocket with wedge?

IMO.. just like with too much weight in back and not enough in bow you get the same effect without enough bow weight when using the wedge. Wedge or no wedge in my experience I get the small pocket when there is not enough weight in the bow.

I had this same boat. We always got the best wave with no wedge. I would fill center full. stock bow 3/4 full. Stock Surf side full. 750 sac on surf side in locker. And either people or additional ballast evenly down surf side including around 200 in the bow. With this set up I have seen a wave long enough to be 30 feet behind boat. It was very touchy and would take work every time out but after it's dialed it would stay there. I think the speed was 11 to 12.

The wedge would make the wave bigger but not near as long and pulled hard on the boat.

Sent into space with tapatalk

• Like 1

Can't tell from your description, but it seems you have the non-surf rear take full. It should not be used at all. Also fill center tank completely.

We ride with all stock ballast full on this hull. Kinda gotta disagree.

This weekend we got a decent starboard wave. With surf side factory full plus 750 piggyback, bow full, no wedge. 10.5mph

On port side anytime we tried with no wedge not enough push. Best on that side was surf side full, bow, plus 2 300s on the seats wedge. Can't remember if center was full or not.

Edited by NormRD
  • 2 weeks later...

Rented a lake house over the holiday weekend and got the best wave of us so far.

Starboard Wave: Factory rear side full + 750 piggy back bag, front full, 350 bag on seats surf side, and 350 bag in bow on surf side. No wedge and 10.5 MPH

Port Side: Factory rear side full + 750 piggy back bag, front full, 350 bag on seats surf side, and 350 bag in bow on surf side. This time with wedge and 10.3-5 MPH

My local buddy with same boat says the center always made the wave worse (more washy, not more push or longer, always cleaner face with it empty) Can anyone comment on the use of the center?