Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Exile build in my new LSV... (first time)

IXFE

I got the left side 8's installed this morning. Just a reminder, I'm using factory RF speakers for the cabin because absent a 100% Exile build, I prefer a factory look. I think they'll sound great with the extra power the Exile Harpoon will send them. This particular set of RF's are take offs from lerch's new LSV.

You have to remove the loooong seat back cushion. There are 10 nuts/washers holding it on fro m inside the gunnel. It's a blind job, so the best way to remove those is with a 7/16 open ratcheting socket (thanks again to lerch for this tip).

tapatalk_1400447479080-1_zpszhyrdhnw.jpg

I did a quick test to be sure I had them level before pre-drilling the screw holes...

20140518_114145_zpsrqwuhvml.jpg

Here are the speakers installed with the seat back cushion removed. Before tightening them down I made sure I had correct polarity using the 9v battery test...

20140518_120305_zpsmjvjnrap.jpg

Now with the seat back replaced. Getting it on was harder than getting it off because I didn't have the open speaker holes. To reach the furthest forward nut I had to literally lie down IN THE COFFIN! Sorry, no selfies of this.

20140518_123036_zpsflpa3fis.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Hey Shawn, look what arrived in the mail yesterday...

The "mo mo betta" version:

20140518_104850_zps4pswtu8t.jpg

Ok, ok ... I'll bite!

Photoshop? or where can I get one of those?!?!

Very cool.

Not photoshop!

Just follow the link Shawn provided above. You can cusomize your switch to say just about anything!

I think it adds a nice touch.

IXFE ::::: Just a rookie thing to mention here..But take a moment an put down some towels on your seat cushions. Tools left on seats have a way of poking the vinyl --- trust me. I've seen it on more than one occasion.

Dave, is factory speaker wire already run to all speaker locations for you? Are you having to cut any of the speaker holes, or did the factory cut all the holes for you?

All the factory speaker locations were already cut out, except the two in the walk thru.

It's funny you ask, because as I read your question I was literally sitting in the bow, having installed the last of the speakers in the pre-cut locations, wondering how I'd cut two 5.25" holes in the walk thru.

I bought a Dremel but that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. ;-)

20140518_195440_zpsaqtcprbq.jpg

20140518_200507_zpsbrywmdcv.jpg

Here's how the bow speakers turned out.

I realize seeing factory RF speakers in a Malibu is not very exciting for most of you, but for me seeing them in place is highly satisfying, knowing I did it and it's nice to see the boat looking complete (even though they don't work yet)

20140518_194905_zpspyy6ykjb.jpg

IXFE ::::: Just a rookie thing to mention here..But take a moment an put down some towels on your seat cushions. Tools left on seats have a way of poking the vinyl --- trust me. I've seen it on more than one occasion.

Ah.... You busted me with the drill on the vinyl, huh? Good catch, and very sloppy of me! I've been trying to always set it on the carpeted floor, but even there I worry about it gouging the exposed black fiberglass.

I'm actually trying hard to work "clean." I've turned my entire sun platform into a make shift work bench (complete with towel). My supplies are in the cardboard box. And today I introduced the shop vac into the mix so I could clean up messes as I go (both mine and the factory's).

20140518_195341_zpsboekpdtu.jpg

Do the speakers come with a template you can trace onto the vinyl? If it is a soft touch surface maybe score with a knife before cutting??? Don't drink while cutting those holes--steady hands...

Here's how the bow speakers turned out.

I realize seeing factory RF speakers in a Malibu is not very exciting for most of you, but for me seeing them in place is highly satisfying, knowing I did it and it's nice to see the boat looking complete (even though they don't work yet)

20140518_194905_zpspyy6ykjb.jpg

I like those grab handles. I didn't notice the engravings before.

I like those grab handles. I didn't notice the engravings before.

It's kind of weird because the grab handles in the bow and cabin were recently changed to a darker brushed finish, but the handles in the walk thru are still chrome. Not a big deal but something I noticed today.

Do the speakers come with a template you can trace onto the vinyl? If it is a soft touch surface maybe score with a knife before cutting??? Don't drink while cutting those holes--steady hands...

I bought the speakers off lerch so they didn't come with any packaging.

Before I installed the bow speakers I measured the factory holes. They are 5.25" in diameter.

Good tip on scoring the vinyl. On it!

It's just a drip molded sticker on it right? Not engraving.

Bobby is spot on. It's a stick-on. Thicker than your average scratch & sniff, but a stick-on nonetheless.

I actually like the new version with the stick-on more than the previous chrome version sans stick-on.

There's a lot to like about this new boat, and I mean a lot. But I knew before I even ordered it there were a few details I didn't love. For me they were the dash (already beaten to death) and the size and position of the grab handles. Obviously neither is anywhere near being a deal breaker, and if that's all there is to critique, then it must be a pretty awesome machine.

20140518_214233_zpszbmtu1j0.jpg

I found myself not hating the dash as bad as I did the first time after all day yesterday, the visibility IS a touch better. It needs just some small tweaks to give you the info you need, or want a bit easier to find. About mid way through the day I had almost forgotten about the missing analogs.

Found myself missing water temp and engine temp at an easy glance the most. Engine temp is in most screens, but very small and obscure.

Today's update...

I decided to tackle the walk thru speaker install. Before you install them, you gotta cut out the hole. For some reason, there were only six speaker holes in the boat. The factory did not cut out the walk thru speaker holes.

20140518_195431_zpsxz8sgrfb.jpg

First I had to remove the vinyl covered combing pads (four 7/16 bolts under the glove box). Then remove the two screws holding in the chrome "oh shiz" handle.

Next I decided to cover the vinyl with blue tape to protect it from any mess ups with the drill or power tools (tip from the guys at Exile that turned out to be prophetic... more on this later).

Since the speakers were take offs, I didn't have a cutout template, so I had to make my own.

20140519_204632_zpsq0fhx6ih.jpg

Trace with a Sharpie...

20140519_204859_zps5fazo8ff.jpg

Here's a look at the tool I first tried. I was very excited about this air powered tool. It's basically a mini sawsall. I figured it would go through the injection molded plastic like butter. I was wrong. I could barely get it to cut the plastic at all (running at the suggested 90psi).

20140519_205151_zpsthjibclv.jpg

Next up, the new Dremel 8100...

20140519_221952_zpsf7fpzecb.jpg

I started on the outside, but it was hard to keep the Dremel on that black line, so I quickly moved underneath the glove box (following a series of holes I drilled along the black line).

The Dremel got the job done (close to max rpm) but not as easily as I expected. As you can see, the edge turned out rough. Since nobody will see that edge (except maybe Shawndoggy) I should just leave it like that, right?

20140519_224408_zpsqfi5y8tn.jpg

Wrong! It just bothers me. So I used the sanding wheel to smooth it up a bit :-)

Notice the white streaks on the tape (10 and 2 position). That's where the sanding wheek got away from me. Good thing I had tape on there to protect the vinyl, eh?

20140519_224823_zpskbvb0f29.jpg

20140519_224905_zpskvqn54af.jpg

Speaker in place...

20140519_230347_zpsx2veotz3.jpg

Finished product!

20140519_231655_zpsqdsjkkak.jpg

Edited by IXFE

hey dave for next time, this is a job for a hole saw (also available at your local chinese toolmart). But you are right... nobody sees the hole.

Edited by shawndoggy
hey dave for next time, this is a job for a hole saw (also available at your local chinese toolmart).

I was worried a hole saw would grab the the vinyl and rip it. But I will indeed try next time.

I actually only finished one side last night.

maybe score (cut) the vinyl with a razor blade first? you are right in the sense that you don't want to find out "oops, that didn't work" and have the vinyl shredded.

Edited by shawndoggy

I was worried a hole saw would grab the the vinyl and rip it. But I will indeed try next time.

I actually only finished one side last night.

Similar to drilling gel coat you can run the hole saw backwards until it's through the vinyl to help avoid that.

Good job on the tape for protection.

Today's update...

I decided to tackle the walk thru speaker install. Before you install them, you gotta cut out the hole. For some reason, there were only six speaker holes in the boat. The factory did not cut out the walk thru speaker holes.

20140518_195431_zpsxz8sgrfb.jpg

First I had to remove the vinyl covered combing pads (four 7/16 bolts under the glove box). Then remove the two screws holding in the chrome "oh shiz" handle.

Next I decided to cover the vinyl with blue tape to protect it from any mess ups with the drill or power tools (tip from the guys at Exile that turned out to be prophetic... more on this later).

Since the speakers were take offs, I didn't have a cutout template, so I had to make my own.

20140519_204632_zpsq0fhx6ih.jpg

Trace with a Sharpie...

20140519_204859_zps5fazo8ff.jpg

Here's a look at the tool I first tried. I was very excited about this air powered tool. It's basically a mini sawsall. I figured it would go through the injection molded plastic like butter. I was wrong. I could barely get it to cut the plastic at all (running at the suggested 90psi).

20140519_205151_zpsthjibclv.jpg

Next up, the new Dremel 8100...

20140519_221952_zpsf7fpzecb.jpg

I started on the outside, but it was hard to keep the Dremel on that black line, so I quickly moved underneath the glove box (following a series of holes I drilled along the black line).

The Dremel got the job done (close to max rpm) but not as easily as I expected. As you can see, the edge turned out rough. Since nobody will see that edge (except maybe Shawndoggy) I should just leave it like that, right?

20140519_224408_zpsqfi5y8tn.jpg

Wrong! It just bothers me. So I used the sanding wheel to smooth it up a bit :-)

Notice the white streaks on the tape (10 and 2 position). That's where the sanding wheek got away from me. Good thing I had tape on there to protect the vinyl, eh?

20140519_224823_zpskbvb0f29.jpg

20140519_224905_zpskvqn54af.jpg

Speaker in place...

20140519_230347_zpsx2veotz3.jpg

Finished product!

20140519_231655_zpsqdsjkkak.jpg

Go buy a rotozip makes cutting large circle way easier, this is how I put my speakers in the pockets. You have a more steady hand than I do!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332856-353-CRCT4_0__?productId=3271097

http://www.lowes.com/pd_396106-353-SS355-10_0__?productId=3726807&Ntt=rotozip&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Drotozip&facetInfo=

I have used it many times after for stereo installs.