Sign in to follow this  
bradfr

Wetsounds Cutting Out

bradfr

I have a pair of wetsounds Pro60 speakers on my tower that keep cutting out when turned up to about 75% volume. They are being run by a JL audio amplifier, I will have to look at the model to be sure what it is. The problem is at higher volumes the speakers will still work but its like I lose the treble. I still hear the midrange working fine but the treble drops to almost nothing. Does this sound like an issue with the amplifier or the speakers themselves?

ryanbush

At a certain point the horns will go into a protect mode to keep from hurting themselves. Is it only doing this after an extended period of playing a higher volumes?

Which amp are you running?

I would look at your amp gains, sounds like you have them set too high and are getting too much distortion to the horn.

David

As pointed out, that feature is by design to protect the tweeters.

Too much equalization can create too much power also without sounding substantially louder. If you want max output then set everything flat.

An amplifier driven into clipping can produce continuous power well in excess of its rated power, although distorted.

If that protection device on the crossover board has been triggered too many times there is a possibility that it has become more sensitive over time. Check in with Wetsounds service on this.

I have always found that by the time this protection feature was activated that the speaker was well past sounding stressed. Set your maximum volume usage in a quiet setting and early with fresh ears. Then stick to that numeric value no matter what.

MLA

Yep, definitely sounds like something a little re-tune can take cure of.

bradfr

So I finally had a chance to take a look what amplifier I have driving the speakers. It is a jl audio xd400 amp. It is a 4 channel amp that is bridged to feed only the 2 wetsounds speakers. I need to pull the cover off to see what the gain settings look like.