Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchase Ordeal


Recommended Posts

Hello all. New to The Crew and new to Malibu ownership. And I just wanted to vent about my current situation.

I've been wanting a Malibu for about four years but hadn't been able to afford it until now. I started looking in February, got the financial approval and found a 2006 23 LSV in Shreveport, LA that was in my price range. I contacted the seller and we worked out an agreement. Which was that I would send him a $1000 deposit check and he would fix a few things. We decided to wait until April to do the financing because I needed to sell my boat and we agreed that he would deliver it in exchange for me taking him turkey hunting for his first time.

I had contact with him of and on through the middle of March and then he would not call or text me back. I began to feel like something was up but couldn't quite place what it was as he had not cashed my deposit check.

Last week I got the ball rolling on the loan and emailed him on Monday letting him know what information the bank needed. I tried texting and calling him on Tuesday. No response. Then Tuesday evening I got an email from him stating basically that he didn't think he could sell the boat because his family was too upset about it. In "meltdown" is how he put it and he felt really bad about it. He stated that he would talk to them again and call me the next day. I responded with everything that I had done to facilitate the deal, mainly selling my boat, and told him to make sure to call so we could talk. The next day I did not hear from him and I tried to call several times. Finally that evening I got a text stating that he had been too busy to call and that he would call the next day. By this point I had had enough and told him not to bother and to send my check back. Which he said he would but I have not received it yet.

Obviously the guy has no intestinal fortitude and absolutely zero integrity. He should have called and told me and he probably could have done it back in March instead of leaving me hanging.

Luckily, once he broke contact, I started looking for another Malibu. I have found another 2006 23 LSV and we are in the process of getting the loan finalized. Unfortunately it will be the first weekend in May before I can go pick it up. I've been a mess for the past week, barely sleeping and I'm sure my blood pressure is sky high. The next 3 1/2 weeks need to fly by because this is stressing me out beyond belief.

Edited by Kojak
Link to comment

That brings back bad memories for me. Had a similar thing happen a few years back. I recommend having your financial institution put a stop payment on that $1000 check. That will cost you a few bucks, but it beats losing a grand. I lost my deposit due to paying the loser via Paypal. I ended up chalking the experience up as an expensive lesson learned. I hope the second deal works out well for you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Kojak,

Anything can happen on these types of transactions. I've had a few bad experiences on boats and Sea Doos. For some reason it all works out over time.

I'd have a hard time waiting until May. May look at a shipping company to bring the boat to you unless that is not feasible. You can try uship.com to get a rough idea on price once you enter in boat size and zip codes. Of course there are other companies out there as well.

All of this will be behind you by Memorial Day so keep it all positive and congrats on buying a Malibu.

Edited by JoeA
Link to comment

Always tough buying a boat that's not local. I've done that a few times and I understand the stress involved. It will all work out in the end and you will end up with a boat that will give you years of enjoyment. Hang In there and Good Luck on the new deal!!!

Link to comment

That brings back bad memories for me. Had a similar thing happen a few years back. I recommend having your financial institution put a stop payment on that $1000 check. That will cost you a few bucks, but it beats losing a grand. I lost my deposit due to paying the loser via Paypal. I ended up chalking the experience up as an expensive lesson learned. I hope the second deal works out well for you.

You are totally right on the stop payment. I'm going to do just that if it's not in tomorrow's mail. I did check my account and he still hasn't cashed it as of today.

Kojak,

Anything can happen on these types of transactions. I've had a few bad experiences on boats and Sea Doos. For some reason it all works out over time.

I'd have a hard time waiting until May. May look at a shipping company to bring the boat to you unless that is not feasible. You can try uship.com to get a rough idea on price once you enter in boat size and zip codes. Of course there are other companies out there as well.

All of this will be behind you by Memorial Day so keep it all positive and congrats on buying a Malibu.

Unfortunately shipping it is out of the question. I'm stretching myself to the max just to be able to afford it. In addition, I had to shell out $700 for an inspection for the bank which I hadn't planned on.

I appreciate your last comment. I may just have to read that repeatedly to keep my sanity.

Link to comment

I don't know, I see so many things about this that could have gone sideways that haven't. I'd feel fortunate if it were me, but maybe my perspective is a little different. It sounds to me like maybe you were lucky that the deal didn't go through. Time to move on, have some patience & the right boat will come along.

One more thing, the title of this thread is extremely misleading. It implies that you've had a bad exerpience with Malibu or a Malibu dealer, which is not the case. I recommend that you change the title to something more appropriate.

Link to comment

$700 for an inspection? What did they do?

The inspection was only $330 but the mileage charge was $370.

I don't know, I see so many things about this that could have gone sideways that haven't. I'd feel fortunate if it were me, but maybe my perspective is a little different. It sounds to me like maybe you were lucky that the deal didn't go through. Time to move on, have some patience & the right boat will come along.

One more thing, the title of this thread is extremely misleading. It implies that you've had a bad exerpience with Malibu or a Malibu dealer, which is not the case. I recommend that you change the title to something more appropriate.

Done

Link to comment

Lol, turkey hunting as part of the deal? It is pretty clear this was never a professional deal right from the beginning.

Also, if you are "stretching yourself to the max" to afford this boat then you can't afford it. Losing sleep, high blood pressure, etc. You are buying an expensive toy - calm down.

Sounds like you may need to take another look at your finances. Perhaps an older/less expensive boat might be better fit for your current financial situation. If you max out your funds to buy this, what are your going to do if something breaks?

Link to comment

That brings back bad memories for me. Had a similar thing happen a few years back. I recommend having your financial institution put a stop payment on that $1000 check. That will cost you a few bucks, but it beats losing a grand. I lost my deposit due to paying the loser via Paypal. I ended up chalking the experience up as an expensive lesson learned. I hope the second deal works out well for you.

Where are the people who got on me for not using Paypal in another thread? I remember now why I still write checks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I have to agree with Nitrousbird's comments on cost. One thing you can be sure of is that your new to you boat will cost you money that you may not be thinking about.

I have nothing to say about turkey hunting other than I like it and damn near ran over one the other day with a HUGE beard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree as well with Nitrousbird and Inlandlaker, if you are maxed out at that level, you can bet something is going to break or give you trouble and then you will just have to leave it until you can afford to fix it. Also, these things drink gas (hopefully you budgeted for) at around $70-100 is what I spend for a full day of surfing from like 10ish - almost dark.

What color was the boat? I'll look for it Memorial Day weekend when I haul my boat over there to hit the Red River.

Link to comment

Good financial advice but I have the down payment and can make the monthly payment so "stretched to the max" was not the best way for me to put it.

I'm not going to pay to have it shipped. I can pick it up for less. Plus the seller is agreeable to meeting me somewhere along the way. I just need to be patient.

Edited by Kojak
Link to comment

Good financial advice but I have the down payment and can make the monthly payment so "stretched to the max" was not the best way for me to put it.

I'm not going to pay to have it shipped. I can pick it up for less. Plus the seller is agreeable to meeting me somewhere along the way. I just need to be patient.

Kojak,

I have always made purchases based on this one simple thing......."if it's meant to be, it's meant to be"

I have never gone looking to purchase a new malibu and I feel when you are looking to purchase a large item, emotion gets in the way. When the large item just comes to you, you tend to make more educated decisions.

Example:

1998-

come upon a 1992 Wellcraft bow rider with a v6. I buy the boat for about 8k because that it was I could afford to buy.

2002- i walk into my dealer looking for binding lub. he saw me looking at used boats and asked what I was looking for. I told him my specs and she proceeded to show me the exact boat i was telling him I wanted. The problem......The boat was 15k too high. To make a long story short, he told me to make him an offer and I did. They accepted my offer that was 15k less!!!! So I walked out with a 2000 LSV all decked out for 30k. Ended up that some mega rich lady owned 2 of these boats and just wanted to get ride of one because they didn't use the one I just bought and because i was a young man that wanted it, she felt it was going to a good home.

September 2012- Dealer calls me with a killer deal on a 2012 LSV. I had mentioned to them that I wanted a new boat a few years back, but it had to be the right deal. Again.... Long story short, I trade my 2000 LSV back to the dealer for $25000, remember I paid $30k for it 10 years prior. So I buy the 2012 for about 69k.

Just remember, good things happen to those who wait.

Edited by Rmack
  • Like 2
Link to comment

My two cents, and you might not like it very much.

If you are making any kind of significant purchases be ready to make the deal at the time of contact, etc... and be in a position to close the deal. This will give you negotiating power and will save you money. February to April is a long time to hold a boat, especially with a $1,000 deposit on a likely 35K dollar boat. At the point you contacted the seller it appears you had not even sold your boat yet, which I am assuming was a necessity as part of the transaction due to the price of the boat.

I can think of several things that could happen in this scenario. Anyone could buy it out from underneath you at any time. Saying he has zero integrity because his family basically hounded him into not selling it may be over the top.

I am not trying to call you out, but had you been more prepared you may have the boat today. Anyway really not trying to be difficult. I just view this a little differently.

Link to comment

Every time this has happened to me I've been highly suspicious that the guy started working on another deal after he accepted your offer.

Man that chaps me.

Edited by Ruffdog
Link to comment

My two cents, and you might not like it very much.

If you are making any kind of significant purchases be ready to make the deal at the time of contact, etc... and be in a position to close the deal. This will give you negotiating power and will save you money. February to April is a long time to hold a boat, especially with a $1,000 deposit on a likely 35K dollar boat. At the point you contacted the seller it appears you had not even sold your boat yet, which I am assuming was a necessity as part of the transaction due to the price of the boat.

I can think of several things that could happen in this scenario. Anyone could buy it out from underneath you at any time. Saying he has zero integrity because his family basically hounded him into not selling it may be over the top.

I am not trying to call you out, but had you been more prepared you may have the boat today. Anyway really not trying to be difficult. I just view this a little differently.

Yep

When I sell stuff on Craigslist the first person to show up with money buys what I'm selling. I'm not holding it for anyone. The only thing the guys owes you is your grand. Make sure you keep all your email's and texts so if you have to sue him you have proof of what you did.

It seems like your doing the same thing on this next boat. I don't get it. Go get the boat before the next guy does the same thing.

Link to comment
ahopkinsVTX

Where are the people who got on me for not using Paypal in another thread? I remember now why I still write checks.

If you file a claim with PayPal and everything is documented for what the money was for it should be no issue getting a refund. But for a boat deposit, I agree with you. I would not use PayPal. Cashiers check from my bank is probably the only way I would do it.

Link to comment

I also am a new Bu owner as of last year and I searched for about two years to find something in my price range which was $20K. I ended up finding a sportster locally here advertisied on a dealers used section and it was a royal pain in the but to get a sales guy to take me serious. I later found that it was a client's boat that was in storage that they were selling for him so they were not totally interested in helping me. I pulled the VIN number, found the owner and contacted him directly and closed the deal 24 hours late for half of what the dealer was asking!

I am glad I only ended up spending half of what i budgeted as I was unfamiliar with owning a boat and the cost associated with it. Typically a weekend for my family is $150.00 truck fuel to cabin and back, $100 groceries and beer, $150 Boat fuel for a total of $400.00 for a long weekend!

Edited by Mackie 12
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...