Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable Replacement

My steering cable is toast :( and I have been reading about finding the part number. I found it, :lol: only problem is that the last number is smudged. All I can read is ssc 1341#. Looks like either a 3 or a 5. Does anyone know which one it is for sure. I want to order one ASAP.

My steering cable is toast :( and I have been reading about finding the part number. I found it, :lol: only problem is that the last number is smudged. All I can read is ssc 1341#. Looks like either a 3 or a 5. Does anyone know which one it is for sure. I want to order one ASAP.

I'm guessing that last number is an 8 or a 9. The last 2 digits, if I recall correctly, are the length of the cable. My SLxi was a 19' - the R can't be that much, if any, shorter.

My Brother just bought a 97 Echelon that needs a new steering cable. Where do I find the part number? And is it a difficult thing to do yourself or should I have a dealer to it?

I just replaced the steering cable on my V-drive. Once I figured out how things fit together, it was real easy. It should be even easier on a direct drive, I would imagine, since you don't have to be reaching underneath the engine like I had to. Could be wrong, though.

I just replaced the steering cable on my V-drive. Once I figured out how things fit together, it was real easy. It should be even easier on a direct drive, I would imagine, since you don't have to be reaching underneath the engine like I had to. Could be wrong, though.

And remember to put the steering cable in backwards on a V-drive, to be consistent with the way the engine is installed...

• 2 weeks later...

Remember to tie a small, but strong, piece of rope or wire at the end where it is attached to the rudder before you pull it out. That way you can tie the rope or wire to the new cable and pull it from the back. This will save some time and you are sure you pass it exactly at the same place it was. Biggrin.gif

Absolutely.

The hardest part for me was getting the cable length and rudder aligned so that the steering wheel was centered between the stops. I don't have the rack system, so you have to feed the cable into the steering gear box. Painful. The rack is much easier to adjust IMO.

• 3 months later...
On my 99 Sportster it was a 15 foot teleflex. PT# SSC13415 Link
Thanks that's the one. It's $60 cheaper through boatfix.com though.

AAAARRRRGH! I cannot believe I didn't think to check here before ordering the replacement cable for my RLXi from the dealer last week. :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $178 for my SSC13419, could have got it for $126 at boatfix.com. Gawd that pi$$es me off. Mad.gif

As for the install - piece of cake, maybe an hour tops. 1FootDan has some good advice - tie a cord to the end of the cable before pulling the old one, makes fishing the new one through really easy.