Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with new GM 5.3 v. 6.2? Experience?

Soon2BV

Ehh, I like them loaded up. I don't care about the Nav (I'd install something better), but the rest of the toys I do care about. I want the sunroof, leather, power everything, memory seats, the works. The only options missing on my Avalanche are 4.10's (has the 3.73's) and no heated seats (not offered in the North Face Edition package, which oddly is the most well optioned Avalanche you could buy at the time).

Back on the OP's subject, I did see the new '14 Chevy up closed yesterday - someone at my daughter's day care just got one. VERY nice looking in/out though I'd go the GMC route for sure.

What is the draw of the Avalanche over a 4 door short bed truck; especially the ones that are 30% plastic on the slides? Is it the shorter wheelbase that you guys like?

I can ask the opposite question...what is the draw of a quad cab, short bed truck over the Av/EXT (of the same years)? Avalanche, compared to it's 1500 GM, year for year short bed, quad cab counterparts:

- Better ride with the coil spring rear suspension, yet doesn't have a sagging issue when towing. This is a noticeable difference

- Better traction while in 2WD

- The side pockets in the bed are VERY functional/useful

- Standard bed covers are great. Keep the bed dry, are very sturdy (you can easily stand on them or haul stuff on top of them).

- More standard options

- Mid-gate. You can extend the bed into the truck if needed. Don't have to use it but nice to have that option.

- Rear window comes out.

- Not sure if the Silverado/Sierra had this optional in any of the years, but the standard bed lights, plastic lined bed with form fit rubber mat and locking bed are all very useful in the Avalanche (no need for a spray in liner).

The plastic (cladding) prevents a lot of dents/dings and I personally like it. Even then, only in 2002 could you only get it with the cladding. '03-'06 you could order it as a WBH (without body hardware), though it had the Silverado nose instead of the Avalanche nose. For '07-'13 there was no body cladding - the only plastic was the triangles at the top of the bed, bed cover and top of the tailgate. Even then it could be optioned to be all painted like it is on the EXT (other than the bed covers).

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 1

Ehh, I like them loaded up. I don't care about the Nav (I'd install something better), but the rest of the toys I do care about. I want the sunroof, leather, power everything, memory seats, the works. The only options missing on my Avalanche are 4.10's (has the 3.73's) and no heated seats (not offered in the North Face Edition package, which oddly is the most well optioned Avalanche you could buy at the time).

Back on the OP's subject, I did see the new '14 Chevy up closed yesterday - someone at my daughter's day care just got one. VERY nice looking in/out though I'd go the GMC route for sure.

That is weird, especially since North Face has to do with cold weather.

A guy at work has a 2014 LTZ silverado. Quality of materials (better leather, soft touch dash, etc.) is improved for sure. As well as features.

Tims, the main benefit is the midgate system, which makes it an extended bed, while retaining the short bed look. The rear seats fold flat and a strong plastic bed like material comes over them, and you can take out the rear window I believe, so you are able to fit taller items.

Edited by wakesetter8796

Yea, I probably heard from you about the 6.2 / 6 sp Avs. I've looked a few times & never seen a used one for sale. Honestly as little a problem as I've had with my 5.3, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.... especially geared right. It's got over 130k miles on it now, doesn't burn a drop of oil, runs great & my loan is up in a couple months so it'll be nice to drive with no payments for a change.

I have to agree. I don't appreciate the leather (I have cloth with heated up front & love it). And the stereo can be beat pretty easily aftermarket.

Even if I picked up a 2011 or 12 with the cloth interior, 5.3 & 6 speed trans, then built a stereo, had the heated seats & 4.10s installed aftermarket, plus some rims & tires, I think it would be a great rig.

BTW, ever seen this?

28398110001_large.jpg

Someone spent a lot of money on that front end conversion, as well as on those hideous rims.

• Like 1

What is the draw of the Avalanche over a 4 door short bed truck; especially the ones that are 30% plastic on the slides? Is it the shorter wheelbase that you guys like?

I've owned an old Blazer, a 90s Bronco & an 80s 4'Runner, all with the back that opened up. I've had the back of the Av opened up since last Friday. I just liked the option of running it open like that. It's not really a short wheelbase, same chassis as a Suburban. Largest locking trunk in the biz.... I can get 2 complete SkySkis, plus all our gear, in the bed, locked up.... and still have seating for 6 normal sized adults in the cab. Everytime we go to an event with a pile of people & gear (boating, snowskiing, concerts, out to dinner, etc.), we end up taking the Av.

Nitro, the heated seats are $175 to have installed in your rig. Well worth it if you like the truck. I had it done when I bought the truck with 60k miles. They still work great today. I have power everything, but no memory seats. I guess I won't know I'm missing it if I don't have it.

Someone spent a lot of money on that front end conversion, as well as on those hideous rims.

HEhe, I agree on the rims. As I recall, the truck was in an accident & the front bumper, one fender & the hood had to be replaced. He had the repairs done with GMC parts & it was a direct swap, all bolt on.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

That is weird, especially since North Face has to do with cold weather.

A guy at work has a 2014 LTZ silverado. Quality of materials (better leather, soft touch dash, etc.) is improved for sure. As well as features.

Tims, the main benefit is the midgate system, which makes it an extended bed, while retaining the short bed look. The rear seats fold flat and a strong plastic bed like material comes over them, and you can take out the rear window I believe, so you are able to fit taller items.

Thanks. I have never taken a close look at them. Seems like they have quite a few cool features.

Nitrous. Did not mean to wad up your panties and start a truck vs. Avalanche war. Guess I should have worded my question better. Points are well taken except coil suspension. That stuff is for soccer moms and SUV's. Serious towing needs leaf springs. But pulling around light loads is probably fine.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have never taken a close look at them. Seems like they have quite a few cool features.

Nitrous. Did not mean to wad up your panties and start a truck vs. Avalanche war. Guess I should have worded my question better. Points are well taken except coil suspension. That stuff is for soccer moms and SUV's. Serious towing needs leaf springs. But pulling around light loads is probably fine.

Hehe, come on. 5k - 7k lb boats isn't really "serious towing", is it? I mean, half the time, the tow rig used by TMC members is used for carting kids around. Sometimes I think I'd rather have a 1/2 ton diesel, but they don't make those..... yet. Maybe soon it sounds like.

I installed the Firestone air bags in my coiled rear. It tows the boat great, no sag, rides nice, etc. I think the Denali &/or the EXT has the auto-adjusting rear suspension.

Hehe, come on. 5k - 7k lb boats isn't really "serious towing", is it? I mean, half the time, the tow rig used by TMC members is used for carting kids around. Sometimes I think I'd rather have a 1/2 ton diesel, but they don't make those..... yet. Maybe soon it sounds like.

I installed the Firestone air bags in my coiled rear. It tows the boat great, no sag, rides nice, etc. I think the Denali &/or the EXT has the auto-adjusting rear suspension.

Agree. For an easy tow like a boat, I am sure that coils are fine if you add some air bags (Mr. Soccer Mom!!) :biggrin:

• Like 1

Points are well taken except coil suspension. That stuff is for soccer moms and SUV's. Serious towing needs leaf springs. But pulling around light loads is probably fine.

Try it before you knock it.

I've hauled 2500lbs of river rock (in bags, so an accurate load) in the bed, barely sagged below even. I've towed my car hauler with 3500lb car way too far forward on it - again, no significant sagging issues. Tow the boat all the time, no issues at all.

Let's not use the Avalanche as an example. The '14 Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks now have coil spring rear suspensions. Those are heavy duty trucks. I believe Ram has been doing it for several years on the 1500's now. Nothing wrong at all with coil springs in the rear if setup for a truck.

Just busten your chops. I have no issues with coil springs. Tomayto / Tomahto. Personally, I could not feel the ride difference between the leafs and coils when I test drove the latest light duty trucks.

Edited by Tims

Try it before you knock it.

I've hauled 2500lbs of river rock (in bags, so an accurate load) in the bed, barely sagged below even. I've towed my car hauler with 3500lb car way too far forward on it - again, no significant sagging issues. Tow the boat all the time, no issues at all.

Let's not use the Avalanche as an example. The '14 Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks now have coil spring rear suspensions. Those are heavy duty trucks. I believe Ram has been doing it for several years on the 1500's now. Nothing wrong at all with coil springs in the rear if setup for a truck.

Only the 2500 has the coil rears. The 3500 is still leafs. They are supposed to have an optional air suspension on the '14 3500, but it has been delayed. I was pricing one out the other day.

From what my buddy says (salesman), they are not shipping Denali's right now. Some kind of production problem with the new 6.2 motor. I was really hoping to test one out before I make a final decision.

I'm guessing it will be a while before we see the LT1 in a BU... I wish it was coming for 2015, but with the tight supply in the GM trucks/SUV's, I'm guessing it will be 2016 or even more likely 2017.

I'm guessing it will be a while before we see the LT1 in a BU... I wish it was coming for 2015, but with the tight supply in the GM trucks/SUV's, I'm guessing it will be 2016 or even more likely 2017.

You might never see it if they end up stuffing a Ford in there.

Stopped by the GMC dealership today and did not see a single 1/2 ton with the 3.73 rear end. Do they not typically put a 3.73 rear end in the 1/2 ton? Will the 3.42 be sufficient in towing up to a 23' LSV (what I eventually plan on having)? I know Bama stated he has the 3.42 and it tows good, but just curious how the 3.42 would do when towing up in the hills in Arkansas on our vacations during the summer time.

I read where the option codes for the other gears are:

GT5 - 4.10

GT4 - 3.73

Maybe your dealer is not ordering optional gears? Would be something to ask them. Or have it installed aftermarket.

I think I've read somewhere (it might have even been on this thread) that they don't even offer anything higher than 3.42 on any of the new 6-speeds. You might be able to request it if you're ordering from factory, but I've certainly never seen one on a lot.

I think I've read somewhere (it might have even been on this thread) that they don't even offer anything higher than 3.42 on any of the new 6-speeds. You might be able to request it if you're ordering from factory, but I've certainly never seen one on a lot.

According to their website:

Chevy - The non-Z71 LT and LTZ can get optional 3.73 gears in the specs page, but when you go to the build menu it is not an available option. No mention of 4.10 gears.

GMC - Only 3.08, 3.23 and 3.42 mentioned in the standard Sierra specs page, no gearing mentioned in the Denali side. On the build page, all 3 gears are available for the Sierra, thought he 3.23 is for the 4.3 and the 3.08/3.42 is for the 5.3L (but only 3.42 are available for the Denali).

I did see several with the 3.08 & 3.42 in the 5.3 and the V6 had that 3.23 so that is probably correct Nitrousbird. Guess with the new 5.3 the 3.42 should be plenty then for most but I think the sticker said 7,500 # towing capacity in the 3.42 so that is why I was wondering about the 3.73 if it would probably be what I would need.

5.3 with 3.42 is 9600 with towing package. 3.08 is 7500.

The 3.42 should be good then, I had glanced at so many looking for the 3.73 that I couldn't remember. Thanks Bama, may go drive one tomorrow then!