Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with new GM 5.3 v. 6.2? Experience?

Soon2BV

I know there are lots of threads on towing and tow vehicles, but i have a fairly specific question.

I have a 2011 Sierra with the 6.2L and 3.42 axle. It is awesome for towing and i hardly notice my boat is behind me (21' LSV / Tandem trailer).

I plan to get a new truck this spring, and the 6.2's are hard to find and are in limited qty's. Lots of 5.3L and the new 5.3 has more power than the old version. The 5.3 also gets much better MPGs.

Anyone have one of the newer GMC / Chevy trucks with the 5.3? If so, how is it for towing?

If i need the 6.2 again i will go that way, but i will probably have to spec out and order the truck to get the color and options i want just due to the limited supply of the 6.2 and not many dealers want to stock them.

The new 5.3 is way better for towing than the old one. I had every intention to get the new 6.2 but they were hard to find so I got my dealer to give me a 5.3 for the weekend so I could tow the boat around. I would recommend doing the same especially since you have a 6.2 to compare it to.

e3ydu2am.jpg

Edited by SuperchargedC6
  • Like 3

Wife has a 6.2 denali and I have a new 5.3. The 6.2 does pull better but it's not a night a day difference as it was with the old 5.3.

The old 4-speed 5.3? Or the first generation 6-speed 5.3? Looking at buying a new used truck and was considering some 2010-2012 5.3's. The new ones are significantly improved over those even?

If you drove a 6.2L in the past then drive the new 5.3L and compare. Even without towing you should be able to make an informed decision. Engines have come a long way over the years. I just traded from a 2006 F250 Diesel to an F150 Ecoboost and while I did tow on the test drive, I could immediately tell it had the power and torque to haul my toys. Pulled the boat out a few weeks ago just to tow around town and I cannot believe the power. The point is not to sway your decision of GM vs Ford but to show a new motor may well do exactly what you want and save money and gas in the process.

Depends on where you tow. If you're towing on flat low alt locations then yeah it will work, but man it's a gas hog. Also depends on what boat you're towing. I wouldn't even consider it for my LSV, I can feel that boat big time in my diesel. If you're doing mountains even the truckers will be honking at you going up hill. The other big thing is how well the tranny holds up, even my buddies 6.2 with 3.43 gears was running hot pulling an LSV on flat ground.

I've stated this a couple times, but here's the summary of what I did. I've towed a wake boat with the old 5.3 (6spd), old 6.2, 3.5 Ecoboost, 6.7 Ford diesel, 5.0 Ford F150, and now the 6.2 High Country (3.42).

I would pretty much agree with CJAY. In the midwest and the occasional trip out west the 6.2 is plenty. The new 6.2 is an animal as far as gas engines go. With equal gearing it would be better than the ecoboost by a decent margin IMO, but the ecoboost with the 3.73 is close. (most 6.2 are 3.42) The 6.2 recommends premium, but runs fine on 89 octane, unless it's really hot or at elevation. Then it retards the timing and costs a little performance. (30hp maybe)

If I lived at elevation I would go diesel without a doubt, but I'm all about overkill.

Ask yourself....

1. Where do I live?

2. Do I want to spend a lot on a diesel?

3. Do I have to drive the diesel daily? (they aren't great to drive around)

4. Do I enjoy the ease and convenience of a gas engine?

Mileage is irrelevant to me because the cost of diesel is higher and looks to stay that way. All things considered fuel cost will be relatively close, unless you tow a lot.

As I would rate them right now for me.

1. 6.2 GM (3.42 or 3.73)

2. 3.5 Ecoboost (3.73)

3. 5.7 Ram (highest available with the 8spd)

4. Diesel anything.

Also keep in mind if you're buying new that there is a new F150 and new F250 right around the corner. But....they'll be $$$$$. The new GM diesel is out now. Also, $$$$. I wanted to go diesel, but I just didn't want to drive it everyday as it would have been my daily driver too. That being said the diesel tows the best by FAR, but it is a trade off for that ability.

Hope that helps some.

Trevor

I had both the previous 5.3 and 6.2, all with 3.42 rear. I now have a new GMC with the new 5.3 and 3.42 rear. The new 5.3 is muuuch better than the previous 5.3 - it feels like the old 6.2 and the perfomance numbers people have been getting seem to indicate that they are close as well. The new 6.2 is a beast. I was reading an article the other day where the new 6.2 will go 0-60 in 5.4 sec. that is FAST.

As for pulling, the new 5.3 pulls really well. I think the engine will handle everything the truck frame can handle.

And FWIW, i am averaging 17.2 in all city driving for the last 5 fill ups of 87. The old 6.2 was getting around 12.5 on premium....my gas bill is several hundred cheaper each month...

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 3

The 6.2 in my Denali pulls like a diesel. The six speed auto always has the right gear. 3.42 ratio AWD

The 6.2 pulls nothing like a diesel. I have both. The 6.2 is great, but it is no duramax. Not even close. The duramax never has to downshift to pull where the 6.2 does all the time. You can't tell with the duramax there is even a boat there at all. With the 6.2 you know.

I just picked up my new to me 247 from Georgia and had to tow it back to Arkansas 12 hours / 700 miles behind my 11' sierra denali with the 6.2. There were a few long good grade hills and it towed like a champ. As others have mentioned, it has no problem with that weight but you can tell its back there. I came from a duramax silverado and its no where near the towing power of the diesel but still pulls the boat fine. My biggest complaint would be the suspesion squatting and bucking when hitting bumps at highway speeds, which has nothing to do with the power of the 6.2 :whistle:

I used to trade in trucks every two years, and started at a 5.3 an worked my way up every trade in, trying to justify not getting the bigger motor, or the 4x4, etc. My advice to anyone is get the best you can afford right out of the gate when it comes to towing. Better to have too much than not enough in that realm. Of course I have a duramax. I've never heard anyone say they wish they hadn't gone diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread. I'm looking at a new Yukon after a lifetime of owning/leasing nothing but Ford products. Currently have a Navigator with the 5.4 and it's a dog. Tested the new yukon last night and it seemed much better. From what I hear, there are some problems with the new 6.2 and they aren't currently shipping them. I was hoping for the Denali with the 6.2 but I'm pretty convinced the 5.3 will do what I need. I really only pull the boat out and take to and from the dealer. Might bring it home from the lake and toss it into a local lake for the day but that's about it.

I have to say the new '15 Yukon is pretty nice. I like it a LOT more than the current Navigator. Neither the Nav or Expedition are offered with the EcoBoost motor this year. After three years with the 5.4, never again.

"I have to say the new '15 Yukon is pretty nice. I like it a LOT more than the current Navigator. Neither the Nav or Expedition are offered with the EcoBoost motor this year. After three years with the 5.4, never again."

The new Navigator and Expedition will have the Eco Boost. Also have a new interior. You must be looking at the current additions. Ford and GM do not have the same release dates.

I looked at the new Yukon yesterday. I really want the 5.3 to be enough, but I doubt it will be and I don't want to repeat what I did last go around (purchase a Suburban in '08 only to replace it will our current '10 Denali XL cuz the 5.3 sucked a**).

Anyway, here are pics:

20140324_114550_zpscfqof8ez.jpg

20140324_114405_zpsbtwtokym.jpg

20140324_114450_zpskpyficj2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

GM was stupid by keeping the 5.3L displacement, only because people will associate the new one to the old one. Change the bore/stroke just slightly to make it a 5.2 or 5.4 just so people would realize it is a totally different motor (or even some different naming convention).

I looked at the new Yukon yesterday. I really want the 5.3 to be enough, but I doubt it will be and I don't want to repeat what I did last go around (purchase a Suburban in '08 only to replace it will our current '10 Denali XL cuz the 5.3 sucked a**).

Anyway, here are pics:

Nice rig.

4.10s will make a huge improvement in towing.

I'm holding out for another used Chevy Avalanche. Last year they were made was 2013. I understand there is unicorn 6.2 / 6 sp option from 2009. So maybe a 5.3 / 6 sp / 4.10s from around 2011 or 2012 will be a possibility?

From what my buddy says (salesman), they are not shipping Denali's right now. Some kind of production problem with the new 6.2 motor. I was really hoping to test one out before I make a final decision.

I'm holding out for another used Chevy Avalanche. Last year they were made was 2013. I understand there is unicorn 6.2 / 6 sp option from 2009.

It is the 6.0L; they didn't offer the 6.2L in the Avalanche. 6.0 was a rare option from 2007 - 2009, with 2009 being the first year for the 6-speed in the Avalanche.

Honestly, as rare as it is, if you do find it most owners probably know what they have and will price it accordingly. It is also likely to be a loaded Avalanche, so you might as well get an Escalade EXT. Get the 6.2L, AWD, nicer interior, more toys, and better looking exterior. The loaded up 5.3 Avalanches seem to be selling for about 1-2k less than the EXT's...that extra 2k buys you a LOT. You will also likely see a bigger price difference come resale time, making up any extra you paid from the start. You also will have a far bigger market to buy from, since there are a lot more Escalade EXT's out there than 6.0 Avalanches. When the day comes to put my Avalanche to pasture, it will very likely be replaced with an '07+ EXT.

• Like 1

The EXT carries a certain bling that doesn't appeal to me, but it's hard to beat powertrain wise for the avalanche style bed. <br /><br />If only they had a Denali EXT. Lol

• Like 1

It is the 6.0L; they didn't offer the 6.2L in the Avalanche. 6.0 was a rare option from 2007 - 2009, with 2009 being the first year for the 6-speed in the Avalanche.

Honestly, as rare as it is, if you do find it most owners probably know what they have and will price it accordingly. It is also likely to be a loaded Avalanche, so you might as well get an Escalade EXT. Get the 6.2L, AWD, nicer interior, more toys, and better looking exterior. The loaded up 5.3 Avalanches seem to be selling for about 1-2k less than the EXT's...that extra 2k buys you a LOT. You will also likely see a bigger price difference come resale time, making up any extra you paid from the start. You also will have a far bigger market to buy from, since there are a lot more Escalade EXT's out there than 6.0 Avalanches. When the day comes to put my Avalanche to pasture, it will very likely be replaced with an '07+ EXT.

Yea, I probably heard from you about the 6.2 / 6 sp Avs. I've looked a few times & never seen a used one for sale. Honestly as little a problem as I've had with my 5.3, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.... especially geared right. It's got over 130k miles on it now, doesn't burn a drop of oil, runs great & my loan is up in a couple months so it'll be nice to drive with no payments for a change.

The EXT carries a certain bling that doesn't appeal to me, but it's hard to beat powertrain wise for the avalanche style bed. <br /><br />If only they had a Denali EXT. Lol

I have to agree. I don't appreciate the leather (I have cloth with heated up front & love it). And the stereo can be beat pretty easily aftermarket.

Even if I picked up a 2011 or 12 with the cloth interior, 5.3 & 6 speed trans, then built a stereo, had the heated seats & 4.10s installed aftermarket, plus some rims & tires, I think it would be a great rig.

BTW, ever seen this?

28398110001_large.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky