Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ninja Assassin with the Most Mackinest SG Wave

Afun

Afun,you can't fool me with your self deprecating responses. I know the "David Banner" in you is about to loose control. Come on BB, one more finger poke....... :blowup:

David Banner...I'd say more "Petey Pablo" - "Take you shirt off - twist it round your head like a helicoptor!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Accept for the fact that the only decent looking boat they have is the 244 and the interiors are lame. I mean they feel solid, but in the design aspect they are very poor and not up to par with most the rest of the industry at this point. Have you seen the dash and driver controls? Hideous, but the reps will tell you it sooo functional.

My last boat was an 06 Enzo I can't make as good of a wave regular side with 3x the weight in my lsv ,however goofy wave was terrible on Enzo unless you get right hand surf option, then regular is no good. So they're a pretty one dimensional boat and the interiors or exteriors don't come close to the bu's. Interested to know what you think is Happaning with centurion bobby.

Nope, still having fun...but when all the posts from a certain individual become repetitive with a negative connotation....it becomes less fun...

I mean, the thread will run its course if it lacks wit and most of the posts being written are hurtful....I want you guys to have Fun! Having fun is my intention. Sure, it's ok poke fun at someone too, but it has to be witty and not blatant.

I already know what is happening, just don't know what the final outcome will be. It's gonna take a year or two to see the changes.

The newer boats with CATS and such are supposed to be more dimensional, but there is a reason they usually load two separate boats for the major comps.

You're kidding, right?

Would you toss the keys to a...

1 ton truck (wake boat)

way overloaded (ballast)

with a trailer (rider)

on a rainy day (choppy)

during rush hour (busy lake)

with a car full of people

.......to your someone after ONE summer of driving experience???

Then just tell them, "driving ain't rocket science"?

What about if they promised to have a beer or two and crank the tunes the whole way? Sound reasonable?

If anyone was going to bite, I knew it would be you. :)

Not kidding in the least. My point is these ballasted boats are not jetliners requiring thousands of hours of flying time to grow proficient at. Afun's 65 hours should be plenty. My 14 year old nephew with virtually no experience pulled us just fine last summer with minimal instruction. I'd be more worried about parking the thing.

Not to generalize, but seems there's a preponderance of worriers on here that think the worst is always about to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if 65 hours of Surfing are not enough experience....what is? I think I cruised a total of 5 hours max. Those 60 hours were done with the 550 fly high sacs, all stock ballast, and 1000lb triangle bow sac full. I did plenty of driving so did the other 2 from my crew. My wife did very little, but enough to learn some. Most of it was done at Douglas lake in the morning and Norris lake. We were always pretty much by ourselves uninterrupted by other boats.

No, Im not a SG hater... I had fun on the SG I was on. Mushy has more to do with speed than wave shape IMO. I see both sides of the argument.

Ehhhh, anything can make a wave mushy. Improper weight. Improper weight placement. Incorrect speed. Hull shape. Depth .....A Surfgate tab :lol: J/K! I couldn't resist.

But saying 'mushy is about speed' is misleading. Speed is part of the formula, but there's a lot more to it. Matching displacement TO speed TO hull is what it's about. Some hulls just aren't going to create a firm wave at a rideable speed. X2, XStar, etc. With surfgate it get's even trickier because most of the wave isn't generated through traditional displacement. In other words, simply speeding up doesn't fix mushy........unless you've got the other part of the equation solved. My 2 cents anyway.

So if 65 hours of Surfing are not enough experience....what is? I think I cruised a total of 5 hours max. Those 60 hours were done with the 550 fly high sacs, all stock ballast, and 1000lb triangle bow sac full. I did plenty of driving so did the other 2 from my crew. My wife did very little, but enough to learn some. Most of it was done at Douglas lake in the morning and Norris lake. We were always pretty much by ourselves uninterrupted by other boats.

Nice, how long did you break it in before loading it with all that ballast?

If anyone was going to bite, I knew it would be you. :)

Not kidding in the least. My point is these ballasted boats are not jetliners requiring thousands of hours of flying time to grow proficient at. Afun's 65 hours should be plenty. My 14 year old nephew with virtually no experience pulled us just fine last summer with minimal instruction. I'd be more worried about parking the thing.

Not to generalize, but seems there's a preponderance of worriers on here that think the worst is always about to happen.

Ehh. I'm not turning this one into a debate. The thread's been too entertaining for that. If you feel comfortable letting a 14 year old with no experience drive a slammed boat with your loved ones in the water, that's up to you. I'm not comfortable with that. I'd rather have 'em hit that dock while parking than me while trying to pick me up . But on Afun's situation......

I'm not saying you're not capable OR you shouldn't. I was simply explaining why people were giving you the 'be cautious' type of advice they were. That's it. The bottom line is: There is absolutely a difference between a guy with 50 hours experience and a guy with 2000 hours of boating experience. What that difference is and what you think it's worth is up to you to decipher. Again, all I was saying was that your limited experience is why you were getting the responses you were. :thumbup:

You're kidding, right?

Would you toss the keys to a...

1 ton truck (wake boat)

way overloaded (ballast)

with a trailer (rider)

on a rainy day (choppy)

.......to your someone after ONE summer of driving experience???

Then just tell them, "driving ain't rocket science"?

What about if they promised to have a beer or two and crank the tunes the whole way? Sound reasonable?

Keep in mind that one summer of riding (according to you) was...

1 ton truck (wake boat)

slightly overloaded (ballast)

with a trailer (rider)

on a rainy day (choppy)

So we're only changing to "way overloaded" from "overloaded"

It's not like his 60 hrs are in a prius (canoe)

Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 2

I'm guessing a lot of the warnings are coming because he's a relatively new surfer but I'm sure he can judge and make alterations for himself when he first experiences it. It's just going to be a grossly exaggerated version of what he ran last year.

How are we not in complete agreement? This ^ is almost verbatim what I've been saying. I'm confused.

How are we not in complete agreement? This ^ is almost verbatim what I've been saying. I'm confused.

I'm confused. How did Afun not sign up for the 2014 Official, "The Malibu Crew.com" group towel buy? :dontknow:

• Like 3

Ehh. I'm not turning this one into a debate. The thread's been too entertaining for that. If you feel comfortable letting a 14 year old with no experience drive a slammed boat with your loved ones in the water, that's up to you. I'm not comfortable with that. I'd rather have 'em hit that dock while parking than me while trying to pick me up . But on Afun's situation......

I'm not saying you're not capable OR you shouldn't. I was simply explaining why people were giving you the 'be cautious' type of advice they were. That's it. The bottom line is: There is absolutely a difference between a guy with 50 hours experience and a guy with 2000 hours of boating experience. What that difference is and what you think it's worth is up to you to decipher. Again, all I was saying was that your limited experience is why you were getting the responses you were. :thumbup:

BS, I completely understand this. This is exactly why I told you to chime in on the thread. I appreciate all the words, debate, and opinions. That's why I am usually provacative with the titles. It's fun engaging everyone into these conversations. I think this online community gets me through my work day sometimes. THE ONE THING YOU CAN'T IGNORE IS...THEIR ARE HATERS AMONG US.