Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ninja Assassin with the Most Mackinest SG Wave

Afun

Really afun, we wish you all the luck. I am looking forward to seeing the outcome. So why do you think the wave didn't work on that '13 VLX that IXFE and I set up?

And you'll notice the people warning you are very experienced boaters and surfers. It's just that these experienced people also run listed boats. Our warnings come from our experience, not our so called dislike for surf gate.

Edited by Ruffdog

And remember, that LXi got sunk by a jet ski wake...

Exactly. You'll pull up somewhere for a picnic lunch, be too lazy to pump out some ballast, and then some punk on a sea gnat will come by and scuttle your rig for you. Then you'll be back here explaining how it's all his fault.

And it's probably best to not show more photos if you plan to claim an insurance loss.

Afun, this SG wave from RayRay looks legit to me, and you now have the capability. Definitely take in consideration how many people are on the boat, and water conditions. If you notice he is riding in very smooth water.

All MLS full

2 custom "enzo style" sacs plumbed in with johnson reversible pumps

750 sac in the bow - not filled completely maybe 3/4

Wedge - all the way down

Speed 11.4 - calibrated with gps

Prop Acme 2315

SURFS UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW86GVebLLk#t=65

Edited by Fman

Really afun, we wish you all the luck. I am looking forward to seeing the outcome. So why do you think the wave didn't work on that '13 VLX that IXFE and I set up?

And you'll notice the people warning you are very experienced boaters and surfers. It's just that these experienced people also run listed boats. Our warnings come from our experience, not our so called dislike for surf gate.

I don't know why your wave on IXFE VLX was disappointing. It did not look good. It also looked really soft. Still trying to figure this one out.

By the way....the LXI is no VLX...

Man, that day will never die.

Ruff, maybe we'll try again this rear with the LSV. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Man, that day will never die.

Ruff, maybe we'll try again this rear with the LSV. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Where are the pics of his Vride ruffdog surf wake? Would like to have a look at that beast, and all the his tricks he can throw behind the Vride that he could not do behind your VLX.

Afun, you deserve to go have some fun! Heck, fill em halfway and see how it handles. Add a little at a time as your (and your driver's) confidence level increases. I'm excited to see the wave and I hope you have as much fun as possible!

• Like 2

Afun, you deserve to go have some fun! Heck, fill em halfway and see how it handles. Add a little at a time as your (and your driver's) confidence level increases. I'm excited to see the wave and I hope you have as much fun as possible!

That's it...with this last post that I appreciate very much....The Ninja Assassin is Back in full force baby!!

That's it...with this last post that I appreciate very much....The Ninja Assassin is Back in full force baby!!

I would give you a free towel to see you in a full ninja outfit, sporting the sperrys while surfing behind that monster!!!

Disclaimer:

THIS IS NO JOKE

• Like 2

I would give you a free towel to see you in a full ninja outfit, sporting the sperrys while surfing behind that monster!!!

Disclaimer:

THIS IS NO JOKE

....holding a sign that reads...." Hands Down Surfgate Rules "

....the Sperrys are still Winterized

I will be interested to see if the 350 on a 2315 can get all that weight to 12mph. Seriously doubt it. For you Afun it will be all about prop shaft angle to the point that your bow is inches above the waterline to keep the rear from squatting inefficiently on the prop angle. But at a minium, you arent leaving a shred of wake capability left on the table with this setup. 3500rpms sustained is about my limit most of the time for what I am willing to put the engine thru for 2+hrs, and what I am willing to tolerate. To me anyting north of 3500rpms at only 11-12mph starts to be unpleasant/uncomfy and I have FAE. you will be knocking on 4000-4500rpms the entire time going that heavy.

Not as much concerend with the fill/drain times, they are what they are. time for a beer, stretching, sort the rope and vests, and BS with the crew etc. Takes me about 10 mins for 4500 lbs ballast. I fill and drain while moving to/from the spots, And we can start good surfing at about the 60% mark while it continues to fill for the first couple pulls. All on plumbed pumps right? No Tsunamis?

Safety. you will be at and definitly past your limit. it will handle like a 300ft barge. You wont be able to trust too many folks to drive it when it slammed like that due to fear of swamping and you will be on edge the whole time while you drive. I posted on another thread last week... I swamped the back of my buddies VLX when he was sac'd out from my surf roller... went right over the back of his transom and sunpads. He gunned the engine and the majority of the water washed out along with life jackets, purses etc etc. Not a fun event, pure panick. Just FYI.

I will be interested to see if the 350 on a 2315 can get all that weight to 12mph. Seriously doubt it. For you Afun it will be all about prop shaft angle to the point that your bow is inches above the waterline to keep the rear from squatting inefficiently on the prop angle. But at a minium, you arent leaving a shred of wake capability left on the table with this setup. 3500rpms sustained is about my limit most of the time for what I am willing to put the engine thru for 2+hrs, and what I am willing to tolerate. To me anyting north of 3500rpms at only 11-12mph starts to be unpleasant/uncomfy and I have FAE. you will be knocking on 4000-4500rpms the entire time going that heavy.

Not as much concerend with the fill/drain times, they are what they are. time for a beer, stretching, sort the rope and vests, and BS with the crew etc. Takes me about 10 mins for 4500 lbs ballast. I fill and drain while moving to/from the spots, And we can start good surfing at about the 60% mark while it continues to fill for the first couple pulls. All on plumbed pumps right? No Tsunamis?

Safety. you will be at and definitly past your limit. it will handle like a 300ft barge. You wont be able to trust too many folks to drive it when it slammed like that due to fear of swamping and you will be on edge the whole time while you drive. I posted on another thread last week... I swamped the back of my buddies VLX when he was sac'd out from my surf roller... went right over the back of his transom and sunpads. He gunned the engine and the majority of the water washed out along with life jackets, purses etc etc. Not a fun event, pure panick. Just FYI.

NYryan,

Here is the exact setup again with the 350 and the 2315 prop on a VLX. Looks pretty tested and functional.

• Like 2

I went out of town and then came back to find this thread. Seriously, I am not sure its even worth my typing to respond.

Yea, you pretty much do not need to respond because your setup is proven... the video speaks for itself. I am looking forward to trying my new setup soon, hopefully this week I will be able to get out. Hoping I can get somewhat close to what you are achieving, if you ask me, pretty impressive wake for a 21' 6" boat.

• Like 2

Exactly. You'll pull up somewhere for a picnic lunch, be too lazy to pump out some ballast, and then some punk on a sea gnat will come by and scuttle your rig for you. Then you'll be back here explaining how it's all his fault.

And it's probably best to not show more photos if you plan to claim an insurance loss.

Hey Just Gary, just be careful out there, you got the same boat or very similar to the one that actually sunk due to a Jet Ski wake!

Is that a Titan one or two?

Titan 3, Full story here

Hey Just Gary, just be careful out there, you got the same boat or very similar to the one that actually sunk due to a Jet Ski wake!

I hope you are joking because beside the '99 sunsetter LX having more freeboard than the '06 response LXi, which is really the only part that matters in the case of the ease of taking water over the bow, the only spec that is the same between those two boats is Malibu's estimated dry weight. Different Length, Beam, Draft, Seating Capacity, Fuel Capacity, and last but not least Hull...

So when are you taking the boat out for a test ride? You should do it on Sunday. The weather forecast for your area is low 70's and sunny--totally boat friendly weather. There has been far too many words and not enough action pictures in this thread. I'm looking forward to pictures and a video clip Sunday night. :rockon:

Edit: Oh ya, be sure to get a wrist strap for the waterproof camera so it doesn't float away, should something "unforeseen" happen.

Edited by Cory

In all seriousness though, do take pictures of the swim platform, rub rail, and bow w.r.t. the water once the boat is ballasted up. I'll be curious to see how much freeboard remains when just floating. Of course, I want to see wake shots too.