Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ninja Assassin with the Most Mackinest SG Wave

Afun

Once again, here are the two videos with the same exact set-up I am trying to achieve. The only difference is, he has a 750 bag in the bow and I have the 1000 pound triangle. The starboard side bag is a little smaller because of the cooler. I estimate a little over 1150 on the starboard and about 1250 on the port. Remember that the rear bag is shaped to the size of the lockers. So in the rear it's smaller than a actual 1100 bag in a LSV.

RayRay has been surfing this setup like a champ. I don't have a problem taking a few extra minutes to fill! To achieve this wave on Surfgate is a awesome accomplishment. I am not driving sideways and I could enjoy the benefits of Surfgate.

Turn Up the Volume and watch the videos. I also decreased the height of the bag by 1 inch in the finger area. This way the people don't feel the swooshing of the water when they sit.

A good Surfgate wave has the tendency to stir Bobby up, lol....

I think that everyone agrees you will have a good wave. The question is how much do you have to give up to get it in terms of safety and practicality. Remember too that a good camera angle and lens makes a big difference in how the wave looks in film vs real life. The wave in the picture below is from surfgate equipped 23lsv with 3750 in water weight + 5 people taken with a phone camera. Good wave, but looks much smaller than the videos you are posting.

post-7583-0-16026000-1395407773_thumb.jp

I think that everyone agrees you will have a good wave. The question is how much do you have to give up to get it in terms of safety and practicality. Remember too that a good camera angle and lens makes a big difference in how the wave looks in film vs real life. The wave in the picture below is from surfgate equipped 23lsv with 3750 in water weight + 5 people taken with a phone camera. Good wave, but looks much smaller than the videos you are posting.

Pic looks like CHL.

Did you see him surfing it? He's pumping the board like three times to gain speed. I don't expect to fill the sacs all the way with a large crew on board. You have to use common sense.

If we were talking about practicality, the concept of filling a boat with water to surf behind it will be thrown out the window, lol...

Let's see what that supra could do!!

Did you see him surfing it? He's pumping the board like three times to gain speed. I don't expect to fill the sacs all the way with a large crew on board. You have to use common sense.

If we were talking about practicality, the concept of filling a boat with water to surf behind it will be thrown out the window, lol...

Let's see what that supra could do!!

Yes I see him. Excellent advanced surfer!!! Just don't down all the Kool-Aid at once.

If I see a slammed black green and white VLX out on Norris you can be sure I will be begging for a pull!! The Supra????? Don't you know????? It has the SWELL system. Needs no ballast and puts out a 5ft high perfect wave!!! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Had close to that weight in a '13 vlx. She was certainly a challenge to drive. Not something I'd want to do on a busy day with other wake surfers around.

Anyway I thought the wave was going to be awesome only to be disappointed.

Edited by Ruffdog
  • Like 1

Yes I see him. Excellent advanced surfer!!! Just don't down all the Kool-Aid at once.

If I see a slammed black green and white VLX out on Norris you can be sure I will be begging for a pull!! The Supra????? Don't you know????? It has the SWELL system. Needs no ballast and puts out a 5ft high perfect wave!!! :biggrin:

The Swell System looks good...Supra should sell more boats this year because of it

Had close to that weight in a '13 vlx. She was certainly a challenge to drive. Not something I'd want to do on a busy day with other wake surfers around.

Anyway I thought the wave was going to be awesome only to be disappointed.

I remember that thread. You definitely did not achieve the same wave RayRay has. Luckily Norris is 800 shoreline miles big...I think 53 square miles. Nice little pockets to surf in. I have never wanted to drive a listed boat...that's how I ended up with Surfgate.

I remember that thread. You definitely did not achieve the same wave RayRay has. Luckily Norris is 800 shoreline miles big...I think 53 square miles. Nice little pockets to surf in. I have never wanted to drive a listed boat...that's how I ended up with Surfgate.

There are lots of good places to surf at Norris. Just remember that only about 20% of Norris shoreline has houses/docks present. Please surf in the other 80%.

• Like 1

Huh? My 750's fill completely with room to spare on top.

Like I said, width and height are not the constraining dimensions for the 750lbs SL sacs--it's length. The width is just about a perfect fit and yes there is plenty of height to spare. Lengthwise, the sac folds up under the rear bench, hence you ain't getting that sac 100% full.

When I originally opted for the 750lbs sacs in my '13 VLX, I did it against the advice of wakemakers, who said you will only be able to get marginally more water in the 750lbs sac over the 600lbs sac in the VLX locker. After 1 year of use, I'd say they were probably correct. I'll see how the 600lbs sac fills the locker later this spring.

Edited by Cory

If you gotta slam the boat with so much weight that it's as low on both sides as a listed boat is on one.... not sure whether the "it's easier / safer to drive" argument holds up anymore? At least with a listed boat you can put the high side into an oncoming roller.

Exactly, especially with an inexperienced driver.

Afun, please listen to what people are warning you about. This isn't about compromising fill time or surfgate's benefits, it's about you being safe & loading your boat in a way that will allow you to still operate it in a safe manner. All of us see a bad, bad thing coming here. You need to listen to the warnings.

If you gotta slam the boat with so much weight that it's as low on both sides as a listed boat is on one.... not sure whether the "it's easier / safer to drive" argument holds up anymore? At least with a listed boat you can put the high side into an oncoming roller.

Now slamming it with so much weight is bad...if this was a listed boat thread not even close to half of the BS that has been written would come out. That's the truth!

Some will always have a negative connotation to their written word. Lots of good examples on this thread. My intention is to make this community fun. Shawndoggy, I always enjoy your contribution!

I still want to know who's driving when Afun is riding? That is the person I'm most concerned about. Afun knows the risks from his time on this site and I presume he was the primary driver last year so he presumably has learned a lot about keeping the nose up.

My wife is a good driver, but she still occasionally chilly dips on a busy day with lots of distractions in the boat and on the water. I just look at her from the water, shake my head, and a enough has been said.

• Like 1

Now slamming it with so much weight is bad...if this was a listed boat thread not even close to half of the BS that has been written would come out. That's the truth!

Some will always have a negative connotation to their written word. Lots of good examples on this thread. My intention is to make this community fun. Shawndoggy, I always enjoy your contribution!

Afun, I do think a different standard has been applied to you. If some of the long timers on this site were doing what you are doing, this thread would not have turned this direction. I suspect it's because there is a concern that your driving skills may not be where they need to be after 1-year. This perception may be smack on, or misguided, since none of us have been on the water with you. But, if I were doing this with my boat, my spidey sense would be at 100%, it would be in the morning before the lake was busy, and I'd have a real fear about my wife driving. Actually, I think she would decline, unless it was a early enough that no other boats were out yet.

Edited by Cory

Nope....It's because SURFGATE SUCKS and the wave snobs that have listed boats have it right. It's very easy to read between lines.

I say Rock On...watch out for my rollers!!

I still want to know who's driving when Afun is riding? That is the person I'm most concerned about. Afun knows the risks from his time on this site and I presume he was the primary driver last year so he presumably has learned a lot about keeping the nose up.

My wife is a good driver, but she still occasionally chilly dips on a busy day with lots of distractions in the boat and on the water. I just look at her from the water, shake my head, and a enough has been said.

Uhhh, Duh - his man crush (Ray Ray)!!!!!

• Like 2

It's mutual my man, you make this place fun for sure.

The "slamming" issue is all relative. I know ruffdog's "recommended" weight setup for a listed wave on his vride (which is probably about half of what you are going to run) is more than we ever ran in ours, precisely because neither my wife or I liked driving the boat with that much weight. That's a big reason why we don't own that boat anymore... we liked the wave we could get out of it, but weren't fans of the water over the rub rail. On the other hand, ruff's crew seems to be completely comfortable with the weight.

I for one hope you try (and live to tell the tale) because I'm interested to see what the boat can do, how it handles, how the wave looks, what your fuel consumption is, etc etc etc.

Just be careful!

Also, IMHO, it's not a SG vs listed argument, it's a bu vs. tugboat (G series, ASR, to some degree MB, etc etc) issue. Your boat has a LOT less freeboard than other boats. I don't think anyone would bat an eye at similarly weighting a G23.

• Like 3

Nope....It's because SURFGATE SUCKS and the wave snobs that have listed boats have it right. It's very easy to read between lines.

I say Rock On...watch out for my rollers!!

I think the surfgate boats will continue to get better. It sounds like the 2014 23LSV has already substantially improved over the previous year. I'm hoping a little more will be learned from that design and applied to the 2015 VLX redesign. I don't get the sense they have fully played with all the possible shapes, sizes, and curvatures possible for the gates. It may not be long before Bobby B. is out-of-closet with full-on surfgate love. Heck, he's come a long way with this quote "ut it was decent."