Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ninja Assassin with the Most Mackinest SG Wave

Afun

Facetious Anyone?

Sounds like I have to go out there with a notepad and pen...

LOL, I'd just fill 'er up, then surf listed for a day, fill 'er up again, see how much fuel that was, then surf surfgate macked out and fill up again. Seems pretty easy to figure.

Meh, I got no dog in this one. Rumor has it that MB is coming out with some sort of surf device too (I will believe it when I see it), so I'm curious about the burn rate. Mine's a pig listed too though, so I can't talk (6ish gph.... but we never ever "just surf," so that's a wild guestimate at best). I just sortof equate my boat to stuffing a bunch of loose $1 bills all on the dash... the faster I go the quicker they blow away.

• Like 2

I think I'd fill it all up and drain the non surf side until it looks good. Seems to me like empty on that side would be too much list... (I don't really have any experience surfing though, just a thought)

Be safe of course, but I fail to see why people are reacting like this is some kind of extraordinary weight. The factory plug and play system on an axis is within 1000#s of Afun's setup. I ran that without even a high altitude prop with the monsoon (350) with no problem even wakeboarding. It wasn't that hard to drive and the axis sits every bit as low as a new VLX. I fail to see the issue. I do want a ninja suit picture though.

Bingo, there are plenty of Axis A22's and Malibu VLX's running 3500-4000 lbs of weight for wakeboarding. Having the boat evenly weighted also plays into it, his rubrail wont be touching the water on either side of the boat like a non SG listed boat. Another nice feature about the wedge is it adds 400-800 lbs of transom weight without actually putting water weight in the boat.

RayRays boat hardly looks overloaded to me with his Surfgate recipe, the rubrail near the transom is far above the waterline and the bow also looks plenty high above waterline.

20140324_194206_zps8b57df9b.jpg

Edited by Fman
  • Like 3

I would give you a free towel to see you in a full ninja outfit, sporting the sperrys while surfing behind that monster!!!

Disclaimer:

THIS IS NO JOKE

Ninjas don't go shirtless to kick butt tho.

Edit: late! Didn't read far enough.

Edited by isellacuras

I will be interested to see if the 350 on a 2315 can get all that weight to 12mph. Seriously doubt it. For you Afun it will be all about prop shaft angle to the point that your bow is inches above the waterline to keep the rear from squatting inefficiently on the prop angle. But at a minium, you arent leaving a shred of wake capability left on the table with this setup. 3500rpms sustained is about my limit most of the time for what I am willing to put the engine thru for 2+hrs, and what I am willing to tolerate. To me anyting north of 3500rpms at only 11-12mph starts to be unpleasant/uncomfy and I have FAE. you will be knocking on 4000-4500rpms the entire time going that heavy.

Not as much concerend with the fill/drain times, they are what they are. time for a beer, stretching, sort the rope and vests, and BS with the crew etc. Takes me about 10 mins for 4500 lbs ballast. I fill and drain while moving to/from the spots, And we can start good surfing at about the 60% mark while it continues to fill for the first couple pulls. All on plumbed pumps right? No Tsunamis?

Safety. you will be at and definitly past your limit. it will handle like a 300ft barge. You wont be able to trust too many folks to drive it when it slammed like that due to fear of swamping and you will be on edge the whole time while you drive. I posted on another thread last week... I swamped the back of my buddies VLX when he was sac'd out from my surf roller... went right over the back of his transom and sunpads. He gunned the engine and the majority of the water washed out along with life jackets, purses etc etc. Not a fun event, pure panick. Just FYI.

i don't get it, haven't you been saying the 2315 is the prop you want for a full ballasted boat?

I'd be curious about the fuel burn rate as well but doubt there'd be enough effort put in to get accurate results. I know its possible, I'd just be too lazy to do it the proper way.

I'd guess the SG would burn more fuel as it's making two waves and just leaving one clean where as the listed is really concentrating all the displacement to one side. Any thoughts?

Also +1 for the ninja pic!

And Afun was giving me a hard time for too many requests. I just want to make sure video footage is preserved for insurance purposes should that be necessary. Edited by Cory

RayRays boat hardly looks overloaded to me with his Surfgate recipe, the rubrail near the transom is far above the waterline and the bow also looks plenty high above waterline.

20140324_194206_zps8b57df9b.jpg

EXACTLY...the VLX is an awesome boat....it's no LXi

EXACTLY...the VLX is an awesome boat....it's no LXi

Yes, and the VLX is no LSV!!!! BOOOOM!!!! :blowup:

But then again, I don't have surfgate, so feel free to BOOOOM!!!! me back

NYryan,

Here is the exact setup again with the 350 and the 2315 prop on a VLX. Looks pretty tested and functional.

The picture of the boat at the beginning is fully loaded with the ballast shown in the video. You can see the water is right beneath the MALIBU emblem and the platform is underwater. Doesn't look dangerous or unsafe to me.

• Like 3

Entertaining thread for sure. It's always fun with afun.

I learned something from Pistol Pete. One time he called me out for giving what he thought was irresponsible advice... After some thought I realized he was right. From that point this forum will always see advice from me that errs on the conservative side.

So no, I am not going to tell anyone it's ok to weight your boat like this. Do I really think there's going to be an accident? No, I doubt it. But I am not going to be the guy that says, go ahead man do it, only to get blamed later on.

I guess you could say that I try to practice responsible posting.

That said, I will love to see the outcome.

Edited by Ruffdog

I doubt that picture was taken loaded.

The only reason you will post something like this is because you are rooting against the set-up. Deep down inside you are rooting against

an awesome SG wave. Remember, I still enjoy your contribution and this is the way I see it. I think the debate will live to see another day.

• Like 2

Exactly....because it's entertaining!!! In all seriousness Cory....anything else you want besides the pictures and videos...maybe some coffee...a beer

...hence the new title

:rofl: well, I knew I was playing with fire by drinking a hot cup of coffee while reading this thread. Aaaaaaand I finally paid the price. Afun, you crack me up. :rofl:

:rofl: well, I knew I was playing with fire by drinking a hot cup of coffee while reading this thread. Aaaaaaand I finally paid the price. Afun, you crack me up. :rofl:

He made it to the thread....this place is now complete!!!

It's kind of hard to be funny in a online community....in person you will be pissing your pants

Edited by Afun

I just amazed this has turned into a 9 page thread!!!! If Afun stopped posting is would be a 1 page thread. Somebody is trying their hardest to get above "crew devotee"??????

Not that I'm jealous or anything

And don't any of us have jobs? How in the hell are we posting right now?

Edited by Rmack
  • Like 2

Awesome, awesome thread. Capped off by Shawndoggy's B-Boys vid. Love it.

So after reading this thing start to finish.....

For those of you questioning why people are cautioning Afun: Isn't it obvious? It's because the man has exactly 65 hours experience. That's it, that's all. That's not to dog on you Afun, just a fact. So relative to his experience, that is a TON of weight, no? And I might add; Afun has shown the propensity to do what few people do: take advice. Far too many folks with large pocketbooks and zero experience that know it all. Afun never seemed to fit that mold in my mind. So there it is......more experienced folks cautioning a newer surfer. Pretty straight forward.

As far as the weight: Yeah, I'm with Fman, 85 and others. I don't see it being an insane amount of weight. Just be cautious if you haven't ran that much before, that's all.

And Afun......I think a little of the pushback is just because of the SG thing. Meaning, if it takes 20 minutes to fill.......and all your storage AND bow is taken up......what's the advantage gained by SG? Just the ability to have a mixed crew, I guess. No biggie.

BS, don't forget about driving the boat listed vs straight/balanced...that was a big one for me

I will try listed this season...so many things to do, it's exciting!

Lol, you really are a tard. I'm not rooting against you at all. If you read back through this you we see I told you that on several occasions. I hope it works out great for you. WITHOUT any catastrophes. Knowing you are a green horn, all we were trying to do was warn you about possible issues with a slammed 5k worth of weight in the boat and its pitfalls. Have you ever driven an inboard with that much weight? Many of us have, and its not exactly easy.

If anyone is trying to stir the pot it would be you. Pounding your chest with you RAYmance, surfgate this, surfgate that blah blah . I know what I know, and I didn't gain that knowledge from watching a video on the internet. Its called real world.

As far as Rays boat in that picture, Doesn't look like what I rememeber 4500 lbs in a VLX to look like, but if he says so fine, Its his boat and I ain't gonna call him a liar. His wave looks great....told you that before also.

Just for reference, here is a shot of a VLX with 5000K lbs of ballast.

VLX5000lbs_zps0327b17f.jpg

Thanks for all your affirmation that my time spent here is valuable......but you can save it. I really don't need your approval or blessing to be able to post what I want. Been doing that for the better part of ten years or more here.

Edited by Bobby Bright