Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ninja Assassin with the Most Mackinest SG Wave

Afun

I'm positive the Coast Guard would ticket you for that around here. Except they would approach you at maximum wake speed to ticket you. So I guess they would rescue you first and then ticket you and then tell you you have 30 days to salvage your wreck.

Does insurance cover intentional sinking? It shouldn't.

• Like 3

When you can bust airs, pull three's, lip slide, hang five, do it all heel side and toe side , front side and fakie, then your transitions will be meaningful. Until then it really means nothing.

Now you are far exceeding the weight capacity of your little boat, risking capsizing and loosing ALL your storage to achieve a wave that will take you 20 minutes plus to fill all your bags. Not only that , you will maxing out your 350 to do it and risking yourself and who ever rides with you. You cant control all the other idiots on the lake. Bet you could build just as good a wave , if not better with half the weight only leaned. Probalby still run you 1235 too.

Not saying it cant be done. I have done it on one or two occasions....when conditions were ideal, when we used to wakeboard a lot. With that being said ..It's flat out a challenge to drive and will stress you out every moment behind the wheel. Its not my idea of an enjoyable time. I obviously don't know you, but what I know from being around here...Your what? 2nd season with a towboat right?

I aint trying to ruin your stoke man. Props to you for stepping up. Its definitely pushing the limits of what most feel comfortable with, especially if you have a decent size crew/family that you normally ride with. Enjoy

• Like 4

I know nothing about the weight of sacs...but how much do you think was added there. The sacs don't look all that crazy to me. Am I wrong in thinking that the added length of the sacs going into the storage compartment doesn't represent all that much more weight?

Afun, when you take that out for the first time be sure to film with a waterproof camera. I don't want the footage to be lost. :)

Actually, I am curious to see how it all works out. Surely you've got an estimate on the capacity of the bags? Obviously, they won't fill full. Are the bags equal size? They look different. Are you planning to run heavier on the port side?

• Like 1

Lets just estimate 1000 lbs each . I'll bet that's on the light side. You can fit a 1000lb fly high back there pretty full.

2000 lbs in the rear. 1000 lbs up front on top of a stock 1250 lbs and a power wedge. 4250 lbs....on the light side.

Edit: The 2013 VLX is rated at 1970lbs capacity. This is either full ballast and few peeps, or 14 average sized friends, again not to bust balls, just for conversation sake.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Our first cruise of each season (before the weather is warm enough to get wet) is typically a booze cruise into downtown and out to dinner along the waterfront. I don't recommend that for your inaugural run.

Is your wife the one who will be driving you? What does she think of all the weight? I'm not so worried about your stern weight as much as I am of the 1000lbs up front. You may be fine with just 500lbs up there. You should start out with it half full and slowly work your way up if need be.

Yea... 2 tons starts to sound like a lot. What would the total be with the stock pnp from Malibu. Aren't they like 750 each? So did afun just add 250 to each side in the rear with this mod? Or am I totally missing something?

I think he will need to bow weight on a SG boat with all that bias to the rear. Lets say 2500 in the rear. Your gonna need 1300 up front of you follow the general 60/40 rule.

Safe to assume that boat will not get out of its own way with a 2315 and 2500 lbs in the rear .

Yea... 2 tons starts to sound like a lot. What would the total be with the stock pnp from Malibu. Aren't they like 750 each? So did afun just add 250 to each side in the rear with this mod? Or am I totally missing something?

Excatly! I would estimate those bags are 1200 or so lbs each full. If he did just add 250 lbs per side, 400 bucks in pop bags would have been a MUUUCH better solution. Cheaper and takes up less space.

I had 750lbs sacs in my VLX last summer and you can't get them completely full. I'd say they got to a little more than 3/4 full, but it is hard to judge. Those extended legs are hard to judge, 250lbs sounds fair. My guess is he will be getting around 900lbs a side.

I had a similar sac in my VTX, was a hair longer and weighed out at just under 1200 lbs on the port side.

Check the Wakemakers site. Says the 05 and newer VLX custom sack is 1400 lbs with no divider. He still has the devider so I think 1200lbs is a fair estimate, may be scoshe more.

http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bags

Edited by Bobby Bright

Afun has gone the opposite direction of me. I stepped down to 600lbs SL sacs (which according to some measurements posted on wakeworld are more like 660lbs). I don't want to deal with sling a pump and filling a sac in the bow. I'd prefer a large friend to whom I can provide beer and he'll sit contently in the bow.

• Like 3

The sac is longer than the locker and folds up under the rear bench, even when tight against the stern. It's not a width or height issue.

Huh? My 750's fill completely with room to spare on top.

I think Afun, being relatively new to inboards, is following a pretty standard timeline when it comes to adding weight. He most certainly has been bit by the bug. My guess is as the season progresses he will be using half the weight for the sake of time, not wanting to trip over folks to fill sacks, and avoid swamping his boat. But that is the beauty of having more than you need. Don't have to use it every time.