Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a use air chair

isellacuras

I am not Hating on the foil.....it is just that everyone was suggesting that the OP make a bunch of UPGRADES to an older style foil.....and one that the OP bought at a very reasonable $$$ amount; and one that he can sell quickly should he LIKE foiling.....but to spend and invest in an old style foil will make his old style foil an expensive old style foil making it much more difficult to RE-Sell.....that was my point!

Think of ir like this....you take a Beautiful old slalom ski, say an Obrien Wood Comp....anyone remember that one....now go ahead and invest in new double high raps on that ski....and see what people would say about trying to resell that and still get your money out of it....

Just sayin`

I think the idea with most of the upgrades was that you could keep them for the next foil and just sell the current one the way it is now when it comes time. Otherwise yes it would make resale kind of a pain because you are not going to get it back.

Whooo hoooo!!!! Got up on my 3rd try. Was able to ride the foil as long as I wanted. Crossed the wake with ease. Learned that I kind of had to lower the height as I came over the wake or the foil would come out of the water and send me in for a nose dive. I can see how this can become addicting. What a feeling of gliding over the water. It's so smooth. Seems much easier on the body than wakeboarding. Only thing that hurts is the inside of my elbows, not sure what that's called. Not really my bicep but lower in the fold. I got some video. Not sure how to post videos but I have a few clips.

• Like 2

So the only thing I care to upgrade on this board is the seat belt. On the replacement belts, how do they attach to the seat? The one that's on there is sewn on to it. I noticed that the replacement belt on the sky ski site is about $45 and is double locking. I can get a very similar kneeboard belt for about $30 at my local ski shop. Would there be a noticeable difference between the two? I see that the ski ski one is 2" where the kneeboard is 3". It's not really about the $15 plus shipping difference, but just as much about the convenience of just running down to the store and grabbing one.

Nice. Great job! The kneeboard belt could work fine. The width won't be an issue, but length could be a problem. Basically you just want the 2 sides to overlap when it's over your legs. SS uses a part called a "footman loop" to install on the seat. Seems like the AC had sort of "ears" formed into the metal seat tower & guys were having to drill holes for the footman loops.

91-0124_Belt_Loop_Kit.jpg

Welcome to the Addiction....I don't ride anything now but a foil

My 10 year old daughter kills it on her own Foil...it's a ageless sport. I also ride with guys in their mid 60s still throwing flips as well!

• Like 1

Although it was shorter than the first, u looked pretty smooth that 2nd set. If that was literally only your second time doing this, I'm gonna have to dial in an air chair this summer. Looks so cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first video was my first time up and riding. It took three tries to get up. I rode 3 or four times after that run, took a break and let my son and friend wakeboard and then I tried again. The second video was one of the 4 or 5 runs I had in that second set. All in the same day. I actually tried to jump at the end of the second video. Every fall I had was from going to high and having the foil come out of the water. When that happens, it's straight to your face.

Right on! Looks dayum good for the first day out! Took me 4 days out to get where your at now!

So on the getting too high, one of the things a lot of people tend to do is panic when they get into that situation. Then they pull in the handle & stomp on both feet (the "brakes"), which results in an instant faceplant. If you catch it in time, just raise the handle a bit & the foil will go down. If you feel like you've actually passed that point of no return, try to just lean back a bit and let the foil pop up & leave the handle where you have it. This will cause the foil to pop out of the water & then typically sink back down to the board where you have time to adjust your lean so you don't climb again. I still do this now, after years of riding.... I don't jump usually, but go right into a skidder.

Keep it up. Your gonna be hooked soon enough!

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

The first video was my first time up and riding. It took three tries to get up. I rode 3 or four times after that run, took a break and let my son and friend wakeboard and then I tried again. The second video was one of the 4 or 5 runs I had in that second set. All in the same day. I actually tried to jump at the end of the second video. Every fall I had was from going to high and having the foil come out of the water. When that happens, it's straight to your face.

Now I want one!

If anyone in the Seattle area wants to give it a try send me a pm. My buddy and I ride Sky Ski Pro SS. I'm not a pro, but can get you flying before you drop some coin on one.

• Like 1

If anyone in the Seattle area wants to give it a try send me a pm. My buddy and I ride Sky Ski Pro SS. I'm not a pro, but can get you flying before you drop some coin on one.

Expect a PM when the weather warms up!

Expect a PM when the weather warms up!

Likewise, if you guys are ever in central/eastern WA or north ID, we aren't far away & might be able to make something happen.

I see the guys around here on foil forum are having a gathering in July also. Id like to stop by and check it out. Id really like to try out a good ski before I drop a bunch of money on one. If anyone around Northern California is willing to offer up a pull, I'd be grateful and willing to host or pay for gas and other incidentals.

• Like 1

Isell,

Very impressive first day. Took me a whole weekend to learn.

The next thing you need besides the seat belt is Lonnie's foot stays. These are ultra-important. You never want your feet to come out / off the ski.

This board and set up is not going to last long. I don't want to spend any money on upgrades as I can tell I've been bitten by the bug. Luckily I have large feet so I feel pretty secure in the stock straps FOR NOW. When I get aggressive enough to need more support, I will be investing in a new (to me) set up. I feel it won't be long.

This board and set up is not going to last long. I don't want to spend any money on upgrades as I can tell I've been bitten by the bug. Luckily I have large feet so I feel pretty secure in the stock straps FOR NOW. When I get aggressive enough to need more support, I will be investing in a new (to me) set up. I feel it won't be long.

Just so you know..... the issue with the rubber heel straps is when you start to learn a back flip or even a roll. Typically guys will seriously under-rotate them. If you under-rotate to the point that you dig the tip of the foil (about 3/4s rotation), then the water can & will sweep your feet backwards & out of the bindings. I've seen the bindings stretch &/or break, and then the only thing connecting you to the ski is the belt, but it's on a pivot & the rear wing itself can come around & knock you in the back of the head. There are lots of stories out there about how this has happened, and is very much the reason we asked Lonnie to build the FootStays. They are super safe & great for bindings that fit a variety of foot sizes.

So helmet &/or FootStays. I actually do both. After you get used to them, I don't see the point in going back.

There is a group of us that rides at Oroville and Folsom quite often. Let me know if you ever want to get together and ride with us. I think I even have an older belt you can have. See you out there.

Pete

Edited by peter19u

There is a group of us that rides at Oroville and Folsom quite often. Let me know if you ever want to get together and ride with us. I think I even have an older belt you can have. See you out there.

Pete

I'm in. Let me know when. PM me any time. I'm at Folsom 2-3 times a week and will travel to oroville. I have a belt on order. The belt I have doesn't really cinch down. I kind of had to push one belt and pull the other. I felt like the tighter I got it, the more control I had. On the double strap belt, should I be wrenching that thing down pretty good? I will not be doing inverts until I get a new set up so I'm going to keep my boots and my funds until upgrade time. I have a lot to learn before I start throwing down. I have a helmet and plan I wearing it. The one I have was from my kiteboardingn days and doesn't have ear flaps. I plan to upgrade my headgear too. Edited by isellacuras