Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a use air chair

isellacuras

I went against what I usually do by buying a used, older, cast air chair. I was considering going all out and getting a good sky ski with the billit bottom pice but the wife was not on board with that kind of investment at this point. So I found a old air chair that seems to be in really good condition for $350, somewhat locally, on Craigslist. I figure this will be good enough to try out the sport and learn some basics. I don't plan to keep it long and don't mind that it will not be a real good performer. Any tips or advise for a first timer? Other than taking video of the first attempts of course. It came with a bag of extras like shims and a higher performance rear wing.

Wear a helmet and goggles.

I had one years ago. Broke the blood vessels in both eyes and had my bell rung one more than one occasion. Because you are strapped to the seat you can't contort your body to protect yourself during a crash.

They are fun once you get the hang of it and very easy to ride until you attempt jumping. Just don't stick the nose or land sideways.

Enjoy soon as you ride a new foil you will be looking for one and be in the dog house with the wife. I rode an old 90's Air Chair for years never broke it and handled inverts pretty well. Made the mistake of meeting a guy on the lake and riding a new Sky Ski 38LE and that was the biggest mistake of my life. Never sat on the old Air Chair again and was trying to figure out how to tell my wife I was ordering a $6000.00 foil. Check out foilforum.com lots of good info on there about foils, learning, riding. Most of all post videos of learning we all enjoy watching those.

Ummmm.....riding a foil is probably one of the safest things to ride on the water. Riders into their 60's are not an uncommon sight. So, no need for more insurance coverage.

PLEASE don't wear goggles when learning. Helmet....yes, but would you wear goggles learning how to ski or wakeboard? That's the WRONG advice.

Get out with someone who can already ride, not someone who says they can. Meaning, learn from someone who can do inverts. Those that can ride away inverts have taken enough of a beating to teach newbies how to avoid getting beat up. I learned from some of the best riders out there and was doing inverts my first season (and the WA season is pretty short).

Once you learn the basics, you will be addicted and willing to put down good $$ for a good foil. My suggestion at that point is to get on foilforums and buy a used setup with newer parts.

Welcome to the hydrofoil insanity.

• Like 1

Ummmm.....riding a foil is probably one of the safest things to ride on the water. Riders into their 60's are not an uncommon sight. So, no need for more insurance coverage.

PLEASE don't wear goggles when learning. Helmet....yes, but would you wear goggles learning how to ski or wakeboard? That's the WRONG advice.

Get out with someone who can already ride, not someone who says they can. Meaning, learn from someone who can do inverts. Those that can ride away inverts have taken enough of a beating to teach newbies how to avoid getting beat up. I learned from some of the best riders out there and was doing inverts my first season (and the WA season is pretty short).

Once you learn the basics, you will be addicted and willing to put down good $$ for a good foil. My suggestion at that point is to get on foilforums and buy a used setup with newer parts.

Welcome to the hydrofoil insanity.

What he said. I have taken some wicked licks on my foil. To keep your pain level low, learn to ride and start to fly at 12-15mph. After all the gnarley crashes I have had, I still have nightmares of catching my toe edge on my wakeboard.

Do this on a wakeboard without as huge ramp…

37825046-Havasu_0073-1.jpg

Edited by Big Jay D
  • Like 2

I already want a billit ski. I've been looking at sky ski and next foils that have been running in the $2k range. I know I will be hooked but I have a hard time spending that kind of money on something that I haven't even tried yet. I think this is a smart way for me to get started. I think I could easily sell the one I bought for the same or more when it's time to upgrade.

Congrats on your new purchase! Like Justin said, start out at 12 - 15 mph. Should be good for your first month or so of learning how to get up, fly the foil, steer, navigate over the wake, even your first jumps. That will keep your crashes tolerable, and more likely that you can do something a little sketchy & recover as you learn. Get a helmet & wear a good USCG approved vest with good side protection (Costco has them on sale for $40 now).

Over 20 yrs on these things myself & still ride every chance I get. Sure I've been hurt on them, but not any more times than I have been hurt on a wakeboard, waterski, motorcycle or bicycle. And considering all the crazy stunts we do on them, I've been hurt a LOT less!

BK_Snake_2009Medium.jpg

PS: post of some pics of what you have & I'm sure you'll get plenty of tips on what you should do to improve it. Just like your boat, we love spending your money! :rofl:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Here's a couple of pictures of it. I'm not going to do anything to this one. Maybe move the bindings if that's possible. My plan is to use it for a couple months, sell it and then decide whether or not to upgrade. I'm pretty certain it will be the former.

post-18930-0-59821900-1395200036_thumb.j

post-18930-0-55052800-1395200050_thumb.j

You asked for some advice....

1) Foilforum.com.... start reading and watching tutorials...alot. Pay attention to hand position and body position... its a big key.

2) Get a non stretch line (ski ropes are BAD for hydrofoiling) if you don't trust me on this disregard #3.

3) Helmets are recommended by the majority for prevention of broken eardrums (so think about ear flaps/protection if buying a helmet) . Bell rung yes, but different than your used to.... wakeboard=toe side/heelside bell ringer. Hydrofoil=earside bell ringer.

4) Find some people who can show you the sport and help you. Foilforum.com has exactly this. You will find someone in your area to hook up with. Do it. I have yet to find a fellow foiler that is not willing to help.

5) Start buying your wife flowers... she is not going to be happy with your new addiction.

• Like 1

Yea, unscrew the bindings & drill a 4th hole ahead of the other 3. On the SkySki there is a strip of plastic under there that the screws bite into. That strip is long enough to do 1 screw forward & 1 back. Not sure on the AC, but there are tricks you can do to help give the screw something to bite on.... like drill the hole & fill it with epoxy, toothpicks or solder. We've seen lots of guys do it without a problem.... usually guys over about 6'2" or 3" are moving forward

So do you have the rubber heel straps? Do yourself a favor & get some better bindings. Cinchmax.com has the FootStays, which are much more comfortable & easier for people with larger or smaller feet to use. Theres also another guy on FoilForum who sells the entire binding, more of a lace up shoe, really comfortable, and much easier to get in & out of.

So thats a Stealth. The rear wing on the foil now is the beginner wing. The curved one can be installed curve up or down. I can't remember which is which but one way is hard to ride it, the other way is impossible. Also, get a descent seat pad & belt. The ones on there are junk..... no padding for hard landings. And that metal buckle will wear holes in your board shorts, wetsuits & vests. Cinchmax has good belts available too.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Don't worry about moving your feet forward with that seat. The Stealth seat puts your butt directly over the tbar. This is not ideal compared to todays geometry but it will get you going. I think I saw some FootStays on sale from Lonnie. CINCHMAX.COM Buy them and don't ride without them. There is a chance that you can come out of the stock foot bindings. And the heel straps are a pain in the butt to get on.

I would suggest finding someone local that rides, let them ride your ski for a couple minutes to be sure the lift is set up ok and then follow instructions. It's really awkward at first but once you get it up and can follow the boat ok the first time you make it fly you will be hooked. So smooth and quiet.

• Like 2

I will check in with some of the guys I chatted with a while back on foil forum. I am just worried that I get shunned for buying an old cheap unworthy ski to learn on. I take to things pretty quickly. I am going in with the knowledge that I need to not apply anything I have learned in other water sports. I have been watching how to videos for months. I also got quite a few pointers from the guy I bought it from. He was pretty excited to share with me, some of what he learned over the years. I also studied engineering so I can see the physics at work. When I hear to keep the rope low and don't use your arms absorb slack and use a non stretch rope, it all makes sense as to why.

Actually, hold the handle low & the foil will climb. Hold the handle high, elbows straight, the foil will tend to go down. Slow movements do a lot, so don't make quick changes with your hands, feet or seating position.

-

Bill

I have requested the help of a local foiler that I chatted with when i first started contemplating getting into the sport. Waiting on his reply. If he is willing to help, great. If not, I will attempt it on my own. Thanks for all the advice.

All the suggestions of upgrading that foil with better foot pads, better seat, better seat belt is just putting silk stockings on a pig.....

Save your money, learn to ride and taxi, then learn to fly.....jump a few wakes and then SELL that thing in a couple of weeks, and either get out of foiling or get a newer better board worth upgrading....

just my not so humble opinion.....

I bought my first foil last fall. Went out and learned with Bill a couple years before that. SOOO much fun :rockon:

Coming from many many years of other water sports it may frustrate you on the first few tries. I had always said I could ride anything, then it took me two days and training wheels to get up on the foil for the first time. Hopefully it will be easier for you. They key for me was a VERY slow pullout. You want to go so slow that you are riding the ski and not the foil until you are on top of the water. I think about riding up on top of a hill. Lean back and then move shift forward to keep the ski down on the water.

If that makes any sense...

Be sure to have a few extra people in the boat to witness you landing on your head :whistle:

• Like 1

Subscribed. I've been wanting to try it out for awhile now. My knees are getting to the point where landing in the flats is pretty painful the next day. Maybe seeing success in this thread will motivate me to finally spend the money on one.

All the suggestions of upgrading that foil with better foot pads, better seat, better seat belt is just putting silk stockings on a pig.....

Save your money, learn to ride and taxi, then learn to fly.....jump a few wakes and then SELL that thing in a couple of weeks, and either get out of foiling or get a newer better board worth upgrading....

just my not so humble opinion.....

I don't know why everybody hates on the AIRCHAIR STEALTH so much. I rode one for close to ten years. I could land wake back rolls, front rolls,front flips, gainers, air flips etc. on one. I have a B-39 now, but I think its harder to throw tricks on a longer foil. Don't get me wrong I like my B-39 and don't want to go back, but that foil can do anything the high end foils will do. Maybe not as big.

By the way I went to a fly-in and got to ride X-Air's complete set up. I loved it. But I will never spend 7K on a foil.

I don't know why everybody hates on the AIRCHAIR STEALTH so much. I rode one for close to ten years. I could land wake back rolls, front rolls,front flips, gainers, air flips etc. on one. I have a B-39 now, but I think its harder to throw tricks on a longer foil. Don't get me wrong I like my B-39 and don't want to go back, but that foil can do anything the high end foils will do. Maybe not as big.

By the way I went to a fly-in and got to ride X-Air's complete set up. I loved it. But I will never spend 7K on a foil.

I am not Hating on the foil.....it is just that everyone was suggesting that the OP make a bunch of UPGRADES to an older style foil.....and one that the OP bought at a very reasonable $$$ amount; and one that he can sell quickly should he LIKE foiling.....but to spend and invest in an old style foil will make his old style foil an expensive old style foil making it much more difficult to RE-Sell.....that was my point!

Think of ir like this....you take a Beautiful old slalom ski, say an Obrien Wood Comp....anyone remember that one....now go ahead and invest in new double high raps on that ski....and see what people would say about trying to resell that and still get your money out of it....

Just sayin`