Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 23LSV Sunscape - BMC Surf Gate Project

BMCmalibu13

First off I want to thank Martin Archer and Rugger for all their help they have & are giving me on this project.

NOTE: The pictures in this document are that of Ruggers 03 LSV. One thing you will see is that on our years of our LSV's is that we have a step at the bottom of our transom, which makes for a different mounting.

For all of us here on the "Crew" I wanted to pass on my "Surf Gate Project Scope" for those of you who are looking to know the approximate list of purchased items and key points you should consider when starting this project.

I hope this helps put a more clear picture of what it is going to take to achieve an automated DIY Surf Gate project.

Please keep in mind that this project is just getting started and as I continue my process and install I will be updating this thread. My plan is to have my system installed and running in the next 8 weeks.

Best regards,

BMC Mike!

(Big Man Certified)

Surf Gate Project Scope.pdf

Edited by BMCmalibu13
  • Like 1

No, That is Ruggers boat. As we both have the same exact boat as his is a 2003.

AND YES can't wait for the thaw!

BMC

Here is my preliminary sketch for the project info I am currently figuring out what my angles are for my boat.

">http://cec7afa9-975d-4b01-a524-ebe20a4ad023_zps

Edited by BMCmalibu13

I want to point out a key piece of information that I have discussed with Rugger and Martinarcher in regards to angels, degrees, and mounting area's for the DIY Surf Gate Projects.

Everyone's mounts and angles are going to be different as they are not even the same on the new Malibu's that are coming out. I f you go to your local Malibu dealer you will see that all surf gates are mounted in the same are but are all not uniform. Remember this is an aftermarket system the have just started installing and we do not know if the same employee at Malibu is mounting these on every boat.

KEY POINT: Make sure that when water is flowing down the boats hull and past the gate that water is not hitting any edge of the gate. The water should flow down your hull like the gate is not there. This is one key point when figuring out your surf gate mount and angle. (Rugger, Martinarcher, and Malibu dealer confirmed this info)

I will be uploading a full list of purchased parts and from where in the week to come. Please feel free to PM me for any details of where I have sourced my system from currently.

BMC

I want to point out a key piece of information that I have discussed with Rugger and Martinarcher in regards to angels, degrees, and mounting area's for the DIY Surf Gate Projects.

Everyone's mounts and angles are going to be different as they are not even the same on the new Malibu's that are coming out. I f you go to your local Malibu dealer you will see that all surf gates are mounted in the same are but are all not uniform. Remember this is an aftermarket system the have just started installing and we do not know if the same employee at Malibu is mounting these on every boat.

KEY POINT: Make sure that when water is flowing down the boats hull and past the gate that water is not hitting any edge of the gate. The water should flow down your hull like the gate is not there. This is one key point when figuring out your surf gate mount and angle. (Rugger, Martinarcher, and Malibu dealer confirmed this info)

A little unclear what you mean here. Are you referring to minimizing spray? Or not allowing the water to start wrapping around the transom before it becomes guided by the gate? Or....?

My comment is regards to water wrapping around the transom. As for spray, I have an idea that I thought of for reducing spray from talking with the malibu dealer I got my yacht from. Details to come in the next weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My comment is regards to water wrapping around the transom. As for spray, I have an idea that I thought of for reducing spray from talking with the malibu dealer I got my yacht from. Details to come in the next weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool, can't wait, hopefully it's better than Malibu's MXZ sticker deflector thingy!!

By chance do u have a picture of the sticker reflector? I have not seen this yet. My idea I am pretty sure is different.

I think I heard this is on the 2014's. Correct?

I think he meant on the surf side the closed gate should not interfere with the wake. Its another angle to measure, and of course involves cutting swim deck, as well as how far out he wants it deployed.

Mike, one thing I saw on your notes is both starboard and fiberglass/gel coat. Unless I misread, you should not need both,... Just need to pick. They don't work together. Think I mentioned IMO Starboard would be much easier and/or less expensive to create your gates than laying up glass and gelcoat. Or might be best to start with it and try out for a season or two first.

Cool. I'm sure it'll turn out great! I'm still curious how it'd perform with just a smaller gate or nss like interference piece below that shelf in the transom, instead of filling/extending it to a regular size gate. Never tried it.

I want to install a DIY as well. At this point I was planning on installing a manual SG and experiment. I can't wait for pics and info so I see how it turns out. I have the stepped hull as well.

Rugger, u read it correct I was not clear on the gel or fiber glass. Thanks for clearing that up.

As you suggested I am going with the starboard it will be a simpler solution to figure out the best plate for my boat without all the work it would take to gel or fiber like you mentioned. I appreciate your points above; as that day we talked I was trying to note all your points and get them correct.

For everyone else, ruggers point on the gate and cutting down the ski deck is a key point for our boats due to the shelf. There are other options out their for all our boats, but Rugger I'm convinced your design is very innovative, well thought, and professionally constructed!

RuGger again thanks for all your help!

BMC

Another great addition to the list of homebrew surf gates! We are very excited to get our boat out of storage so that we can begin creating our own. What controller do you plan on using for the Lenco's?

I plan on using MartinArcher's Wave Logic controller as you can use regular switch controller's too. I recommend sending a PM directly to MartinArcher and talk to him about it. There are a couple other guys that have this system and are very impressed. If you PM me your email address I can send you my project scope in "Word" format.

BMC

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Crew, Just a quick post on my progress.

My credit for using construction board and building templates goes to Rugger and MartinArcher.

Surf Gate mounting bracket and surf gate template. (actual size) -

I used 1/4" construction board from our local hobby store and made my templates. With this template I will be able to figure out my mounting plate location to figure out my actuator placement so that I have it set at the 2 key positions. The doll rods are to replicate the open and closed position of the Lenco Actuator. These 2 lengths are 13" closed and 17.5" fully extended.

1. is to make sure the actuator has the correct placement to reach out at full extension while the plate is deployed with the right 15-25 degree angle off the hull of the boat.

2. the 2nd placement is to make sure when the actuator is completely retracted.

This weekend we will determine the mounting/placement of the mount and surf gate. Also we will be modifying the swim platform and cut custom tapers as the gates are tucked in.

spTEMPLATE2_zps2d9ec70d.jpg

Edited by BMCmalibu13

Thanks for the detailed information. I will be doing mine soon, I will likely have some questions as to the placement of the gates and if I can get away with not cuting my patform, but simply butting my closed gates against the side of the platform. I'll be in touch to steal your research!

• Like 1

BrainD, I am planning to have it as close to the edge of the transom. This so when it is retracted(tucked in) the flow of water is not interuppted by the flow of the water when not surfing. The next couple days my group and I will be figuring out our mounting placement for the gates. I will have more pics to come in the next week or so. Please feel free to PM me for my contact info and I can send you all my project deets to you. This way you can alter it to customizeyour build to your specific boat.

Do you have a 2001-03 23 LSV sunscape? The reason y I ask is that we have a unique step at the back of our transom and have to mount the actuator to the top part of the shelf.

Let me know what I can do to help!

Mike

I don't have a sunscape but my 2000 sunsetter also has the stepped transom.

I'm pretty mechanically declined so the step makes it challenging to visualize how to mount. I have the pics from the rugger thread but still struggle. I live 90 min from Elkhart. Would it be possible to come by and look once your mounting is complete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by braindamage