Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Max safe ballast in a 13 VLX?

Fman

I am getting ready to install some more ballast in my VLX, I want to make sure I am not overloading the boat. I am pretty sure it will be safe but want some feedback from any of you surfer guru's!

My total ballast will be all hard tanks full, wedge, 600 lbs in each rear locker, 750 lb bag on center floor, and another 300-350 lbs in the bow. Total bag ballast will be 2,300 lbs, 1250 hard tanks, wedge for a grand total of 3550 + wedge.

My bow will have the 350 lb hard tank plus I am installing a custom gunwale hidden 300-350 more. And I will have the 750 sitting on the floor with a remote fill line coming from my new front ballast Johnson pump (selector valve).

Anyone see any problems with this? If I have 10 people in boat I more than likely won't fill the 750 on the floor area.

This is also assuming my Monsoon 350 with 2315 prop will handle it. I think if the weight is distributed properly it will do it. I might be in for a surprise...

Thanks for the feedback :-)

I am only 200 pounds off and I NEED MORE....Those custom sacs I will be buying are over 1100 pounds each easily....plus all the stock tanks and the triangle bow sac. Just look at RAYRAYs wave. It's a work of art!

I'm going with the Ronix 800lb sacs in each rear locker, and a 650 in the nose. I figure I will not need a sac on the floor with people in the boat. But you know better than I at this point in the game. I'm playing catch up :woot:

I ran all hard tanks full in my 13' vtx with 900s in rear lockers and 650 xtra in front. 350hp motor but had to go to the 2315 prop. Prop is a must with the 350 motor and sac'd out. My 14' 23 lsv, now has the ls3 450 hp. I learned a costly surf lesson, more ballast needs more torque $.

How full could u get the 900s in your vtx?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going with the Ronix 800lb sacs in each rear locker, and a 650 in the nose. I figure I will not need a sac on the floor with people in the boat. But you know better than I at this point in the game. I'm playing catch up :woot:

My thought on the 750 is I like the flexibility of being able to move it around in the boat, either more forward to the bow or towards the transom depending on amount of people in the boat. My main goal is to leave all the seats available for people. I elected not to order a bow sac and go with my gunwale install because one of the best seats in the house with surfgate is sitting backwards in the bow facing the rider. Pushing the 750 close to the front in walkway will definitely shift more weight towards the bow if needed. I have never run this extra weight so I too will be experimenting with placement this season. Chances are if I have a 10+ crew out I would not even get out the 750, but it will be nice as an option when needed.

I was mainly concerned with a safety factor of swamping the boat with more bow weight, I dont think 650 lbs will too bad, we towed a super advanced rider one time and I put a 400 lb bag up on bow along with 400 in walkway, all hard tanks filled, with my 2011 for wakeboarding and the bow was pretty low in the water, I am not sure if I would feel comfortable with much more up there.

Wakemakers said with Monsoon 350/2315 combo should handle this setup if its properly balanced out.

The reason why I am making a big deal about RayRays wave is I never thought it came from a VLX with Surfgate. I just saw this video for the first time the other day. I saw his surf video first. I thought he had a much bigger boat and it was a listed wave.

Underwater? I would think so, not sure why they would not.

I guess what I was trying to say is doesn't the gate lose some effectiveness if sunk too much? Although it sounds like you'll have counter weight up the middle and front.

I guess what I was trying to say is doesn't the gate lose some effectiveness if sunk too much? Although it sounds like you'll have counter weight up the middle and front.

Good question, I think it needs be weighted properly. Hopefully the 750 will allow me to adjust as needed. It's going to be a learning process, some trial and error.

Travis,

What sacs are you ordering for your bow install in the gunwales? Also, I don't understand what you mean by this statement...

"And I will have the 750 sitting on the floor with a remote fill line coming from my new front ballast Johnson pump (selector valve)."

Does that mean the 750 will be on the same pump as the bow sacs in your gunwales? If so, won't that mean they can't be filling at the same time?

Maybe you need to draw a diagram and explain yourself. Hehehe! :whistle:

This video should answer all your questions. Fman, you already have the 2315.....all you have to do now is order the sacs.

I've watched this video a few times now, and while it looks nice, it's hard to tell without a surfer on that wave. Doesn't RayRay have a surfing video too? I checked his youtube channel but didn't see any.

Afun, are those the same sacs you ordered for the rear? And how big is the sac in the bow? 750??

Edited by IXFE

Travis,

What sacs are you ordering for your bow install in the gunwales? Also, I don't understand what you mean by this statement...

"And I will have the 750 sitting on the floor with a remote fill line coming from my new front ballast Johnson pump (selector valve)."

Does that mean the 750 will be on the same pump as the bow sacs in your gunwales? If so, won't that mean they can't be filling at the same time?

Maybe you need to draw a diagram and explain yourself. Hehehe! :whistle:

I'm gonna guess that he's going to run his johnson pump to one of these so he can toggle between the hidden bow bags and an accessory hose that he can hook to his 750 on the floor:

bos_94d_y_valve.jpg

I've watched this video a few times now, and while it looks nice, it's hard to tell without a surfer on that wave. Doesn't RayRay have a surfing video too? I checked his youtube channel but didn't see any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7wRmxNnjk&feature=share&list=UUd-BWsFwMKl6htC3OrrupoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jb5RBGIW1k&list=UUd-BWsFwMKl6htC3OrrupoA

I am getting ready to install some more ballast in my VLX, I want to make sure I am not overloading the boat. I am pretty sure it will be safe but want some feedback from any of you surfer guru's!

My total ballast will be all hard tanks full, wedge, 600 lbs in each rear locker, 750 lb bag on center floor, and another 300-350 lbs in the bow. Total bag ballast will be 2,300 lbs, 1250 hard tanks, wedge for a grand total of 3550 + wedge.

My bow will have the 350 lb hard tank plus I am installing a custom gunwale hidden 300-350 more. And I will have the 750 sitting on the floor with a remote fill line coming from my new front ballast Johnson pump (selector valve).

Anyone see any problems with this? If I have 10 people in boat I more than likely won't fill the 750 on the floor area.

This is also assuming my Monsoon 350 with 2315 prop will handle it. I think if the weight is distributed properly it will do it. I might be in for a surprise...

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Not at all, I think you will love your wave even more than you did before.

My thought on the 750 is I like the flexibility of being able to move it around in the boat, either more forward to the bow or towards the transom depending on amount of people in the boat. My main goal is to leave all the seats available for people. I elected not to order a bow sac and go with my gunwale install because one of the best seats in the house with surfgate is sitting backwards in the bow facing the rider. Pushing the 750 close to the front in walkway will definitely shift more weight towards the bow if needed. I have never run this extra weight so I too will be experimenting with placement this season. Chances are if I have a 10+ crew out I would not even get out the 750, but it will be nice as an option when needed.

I was mainly concerned with a safety factor of swamping the boat with more bow weight, I dont think 650 lbs will too bad, we towed a super advanced rider one time and I put a 400 lb bag up on bow along with 400 in walkway, all hard tanks filled, with my 2011 for wakeboarding and the bow was pretty low in the water, I am not sure if I would feel comfortable with much more up there.

Wakemakers said with Monsoon 350/2315 combo should handle this setup if its properly balanced out.

Sure its possible if you dont have an experienced driver or someone that doesnt pay attention. We have never had any issues with running our 750 basically full in the bow.

Not at all, the water over my platform and surfgates is at least 6 inches or more deep when fully weighted.

Afun, are those the same sacs you ordered for the rear? And how big is the sac in the bow? 750??

His sac seems to be a 750 in the bow. I have 1000 pound triangle. I will be placing the order for the sacs today or tomorrow. Let me put the revised plans. I don't know exactly how they will weigh yet. Edited by Afun

Sure its possible if you dont have an experienced driver or someone that doesnt pay attention. We have never had any issues with running our 750 basically full in the bow.

We ran a 750 in the bow of our vtx and only took water occasionally. Good driver is key.

Guys- be warned... you gotta be as vigilant about your stern when sac'd out to the max as you are the bow.... specifically taking big rollers over the stern exactly when you come down off plan or from surfing is when you are most vulnerable.

I swamped a friend's slammed 23LSV that came close in to us to take pics/video while we were surfing.... I was very heavy, huge wave, surfing along.... no danger to the surfer or anything like that. The surfer fell from a trick so I backed off the throttle to slow down as did he... maybe 20-30ft off my starboard side... my surf roller combined with his own following wave and went right over his transom...bigtime.. so much that it washed out loose life jackets and towels etc. He gunned it, and a lot of the water washed right back out...bilge pump ran for the next 20 mins. Scary situation.

Ensure you stay clear and good distance from other boats, even friends who want to watch and take pics.

FMAN, if you change your mind and decide to go with these customs let me know. You will never upgrade again! Just a few hundred more, lol...

Port Sac (Weight TBD)

13114450405_839b14e12f_b.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

Starboard Sac (Weight TBD)

13114537963_bfebb74023_b.jpg

image by Afun2011, on Flickr

Afun......what brand and where are you finding the custom ballast bags?

Guys- be warned... you gotta be as vigilant about your stern when sac'd out to the max as you are the bow.... specifically taking big rollers over the stern exactly when you come down off plan or from surfing is when you are most vulnerable.

I swamped a friend's slammed 23LSV that came close in to us to take pics/video while we were surfing.... I was very heavy, huge wave, surfing along.... no danger to the surfer or anything like that. The surfer fell from a trick so I backed off the throttle to slow down as did he... maybe 20-30ft off my starboard side... my surf roller combined with his own following wave and went right over his transom...bigtime.. so much that it washed out loose life jackets and towels etc. He gunned it, and a lot of the water washed right back out...bilge pump ran for the next 20 mins. Scary situation.

Ensure you stay clear and good distance from other boats, even friends who want to watch and take pics.

Have you ever had that problem in your g or only in the LSV? Was that a new LSV?