Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Weight for VTX - Slalom Ski

River Monsters

I am looking at 50 lb bags from Lead Wake for my VTX. My experience is everything is better with some bow weight, even slalom skiing. Has anyone played around with bow weight and come up with an ideal amount of weight for skiing? I searched but found most discussions related to surfing weight.

I couldn't tell enough of a difference to be honest. Every time we skied the VTX we had several people so worrying about a little bow weight was kind of moot.

Very good point. The VTX skis very well light. Probably wont notice the difference in bow weight if she is heavy.....try to keep ours to 1/4 tank of gas, and a driver for ski sets, load it up with several people and I too would expect to see diminishing results from added bow weight. But I have never tried, with the house on the water I can leave the extra ballast on the dock when we want to ski.

I run our front tank at about 1/4 to 1/3 full for skiing. Probably equals no more than 100 lbs.

Same here! Just seemed to make the trough a little smoother to cross.

Even the RLXI ( 07 ) is better with some forward weight. I keep two 6 gallon kitty litter buckets in my boat to move weight around a little. The buckets have tops the close tight.

Edited by Sixball

So just sit one of the kids in the bow? ;)

If we have (3) people, one is in the bow.

I have a fly High bow bag that I was going to sale if your interested.

I already have a 400 lb sac in the walkway, but I am looking to add some lead weight in addition to that. I was thinking 200 lb, but maybe 100-150 lb is better.

Me and several of my buddies go 1/2 full - approx 175 lbs. have ordered 200lbs of lead, which will place up there instead of filling hard tank. Will now only use hard tank when surfing or wake boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me and several of my buddies go 1/2 full - approx 175 lbs. have ordered 200lbs of lead, which will place up there instead of filling hard tank. Will now only use hard tank when surfing or wake boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly what I had in mind. Where did you get the lead weight? I got a quote from Lead Wake for 50 lb bags. $50 each plus $12.50 ship + paypal fee.

Exactly what I had in mind. Where did you get the lead weight? I got a quote from Lead Wake for 50 lb bags. $50 each plus $12.50 ship + paypal fee.

Go to pop-products.com. 10 40lb bags (400 lbs total) costs $375 (incl delivery). Split it with a buddy. So total cost to me was about $190.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to pop-products.com. 10 40lb bags (400 lbs total) costs $375 (incl delivery). Split it with a buddy. So total cost to me was about $190.

The pop bags totally suck in comparison. Not as well made and don't use lead, so they are a larger bag for lesser weight.

The Lead Wake bags are a top notch product. They are worth the extra money.

Don't really care how well made they are. They're going to be broken down into smaller bags, stuffed wherever I can fit them in the bow and forgotten.

Don't really care how well made they are. They're going to be broken down into smaller bags, stuffed wherever I can fit them in the bow and forgotten.

I would take them out to tow anyway. Even if just spring and fall in my case.

Wait, I'm reading that one of two ways:

#1 - You are going to take the bags, rip out the cheap scrap metal and put them in smaller bags. Why not just get scrap metal somewhere else at that point?

OR

#2 - You don't care if they aren't as heavy, as you are going to stuff them wherever. That also makes no sense, as you can more easily stuff a smaller (yet heavier) bag into where you want it.

Lead Wake isn't the only game out there selling real lead weight bags...but at least get a real lead bag and not the crap Pop Products is slinging.

I have some "crappy" pop bags that I have had for.............I dunno 6-7 years. Guess what?

They are still heavy and still weighting down my boat.

IMO , pretty hard to call something that has done its job for that long.....crappy.

I have some "crappy" pop bags that I have had for.............I dunno 6-7 years. Guess what?

They are still heavy and still weighting down my boat.

IMO , pretty hard to call something that has done its job for that long.....crappy.

A Bayliner will get you on the water and can do so for 6-7 years as well. You can even ski and wakeboard behind it. Doesn't mean it isn't a crappy boat. :) Why spend money on a product when a superior product can be obtained for only a little more money?

I have lead in my VTX. I have 80 lbs around the hard tank which is permanent. I have another 80 which I place in the gunnels when I arrive at my destination and another 40 lbs that I move around depending on the desired effect. The VTX needs bow weight for surfing with the gates, wakeboard because it porpoises with the wedge and it is a nicer ski wake with bow weight. Being I always need bow weight,and more than stock for surfing and wake boarding,the lead weight is perfect.

Edited by old skool malibu
Wait, I'm reading that one of two ways:

#1 - You are going to take the bags, rip out the cheap scrap metal and put them in smaller bags. Why not just get scrap metal somewhere else at that point?

OR

#2 - You don't care if they aren't as heavy, as you are going to stuff them wherever. That also makes no sense, as you can more easily stuff a smaller (yet heavier) bag into where you want it.

Lead Wake isn't the only game out there selling real lead weight bags...but at least get a real lead bag and not the crap Pop Products is slinging.

I had to take mine apart as the bags are to big to place around the hard tank and in the gunnels.

That's exactly what I did!