Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Complete wetsounds stereo system $$$$

Bvissch

Priced out a complete system for my 2010 247lsv and with amps, 2 subs, 2 sets rev 10s and all 6.5" WS speakers it came to 14g with labour.... Sound a bit much?

Hell yes it is too much.

Let's just quote prices directly off of Wetsounds Website:

- Two sets of REV-10's...let's load 'em up with LED's and translucent grill too: $2900

- G3 adapter for tower speakers: $276

- I assume 8 interior 6.5's and let's go their most expensive route, the XS-650 RGB: $1300

- Subs, let's go their most expensive route, the XS-XXX V2, two of them: $1400

Now, let's not cheap out on amps, so all Sinister Series:

- In-boats match perfectly to a single SD4. A second SD4 can power all 4 tower speakers. Total price: $2200

- You will need an SD2 for each sub: $2100

That puts us at $10,176. That's assuming the most expensive stuff Wetsounds sells for every product installed, paying full retail for every bit of it. 3k labor (remember, there will be about a grand in sales tax) is probably reasonable if they are actually going to fab 2 nice sub boxes (for the parts, you sure would want them to go all-out on these), build a nice amp rack, rewire everything, tune the system, etc. That 3k also covers those materials, so that's a reasonable rate.

My guess - you are not getting that nice of parts in the build and being overcharged for labor.

If it includes all the things that nitrousbird listed, I don't think it's a bad bid. Yeah it's expensive but that's just what it costs to have a good quality shop install a system like that.

Hell yes it is too much.

Let's just quote prices directly off of Wetsounds Website:

- Two sets of REV-10's...let's load 'em up with LED's and translucent grill too: $2900

- G3 adapter for tower speakers: $276

- I assume 8 interior 6.5's and let's go their most expensive route, the XS-650 RGB: $1300

- Subs, let's go their most expensive route, the XS-XXX V2, two of them: $1400

Now, let's not cheap out on amps, so all Sinister Series:

- In-boats match perfectly to a single SD4. A second SD4 can power all 4 tower speakers. Total price: $2200

- You will need an SD2 for each sub: $2100

That puts us at $10,176. That's assuming the most expensive stuff Wetsounds sells for every product installed, paying full retail for every bit of it. 3k labor (remember, there will be about a grand in sales tax) is probably reasonable if they are actually going to fab 2 nice sub boxes (for the parts, you sure would want them to go all-out on these), build a nice amp rack, rewire everything, tune the system, etc. That 3k also covers those materials, so that's a reasonable rate.

My guess - you are not getting that nice of parts in the build and being overcharged for labor.

There will be shop supplies (wire, fuses, screws, etc, etc, etc) and labor on top of the cost of the wetsounds parts. Depending on who is doing the install, they could go full monty and rewire the boat. Factor in sales tax to Nitrous's estimate and there you go, $14k.

It really depends, but a quote like this from someone like acme tops and tunes or chucktronics in NorCal would probably be about right and would likely be "worth it." Probably Earmark too. I would certainly want to know that the shop doing the install was a top-tier installer and would want to see and hear some of their prior work if I was spending the equivalent of a Honda Fit on a boat stereo, but all-in-all, to get a high end system installed by a high end shop, you are going to have to pay to play.

And since they are charging for "labour" I'm assuming that you are not in the U.S., which means all bets are off.

Thanks for the replies!! Ya I'm throwing an equalizer, 3 batteries, batt charger, also bigger alternator too! She's gonna pound. Thanks for the reply! It just sounded a little much.....but what the hell... I'm doing it anyways!!!!! Haha

Priced out a complete system for my 2010 247lsv and with amps, 2 subs, 2 sets rev 10s and all 6.5" WS speakers it came to 14g with labour.... Sound a bit much?

It's impossible for anyone to assess the value until they know the quality of workmanship and materials going into the installation.

If they're doing just what is necessary to make it functional, using off-the-shelf enclosures, etc., then that is too much. If there is a lot of custom work then it could be a bargain. Good technicians will command a fair living and are worth it. You will have to look much deeper to judge the value.

I apparently need to go into the LED business. For the cost of 4 WS RGB rev 10 speaker rings, I LED'd my whole boat. Including two separate controllers, under gunnels, compartments, speakers, and underwater. Time for a career change apparently

What an awesome display of wealth.

14k for a system that will get maybe 1g out of on resale. If your lucky.

Not that you have to do everything for resale value, but a boat stereo is about the worst area to invest that large a sum of money on.

I myself would explore other avenues.

• Like 3

I don't think he's a troll.

I'm all for spending money, but there's no doubt stereos are poor investments on boats. I just sold mine and I got about $.20 on the dollar for the stereo.

That being said there are lots of things that are bad investments, but hey that's why we work hard! :-) More power to you. Sounds like a great system.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies!! Ya I'm throwing an equalizer, 3 batteries, batt charger, also bigger alternator too! She's gonna pound. Thanks for the reply! It just sounded a little much.....but what the hell... I'm doing it anyways!!!!! Haha

Really? What are your plans for the new alt?

Just want a great system fellas, don't need to be jealous now. I Don't mind the criticism but most people who comment on money related stuff are only doing it because they can't afford something.

Thank you all for you time.

180 amp alternator. Charges batteries at 1500rpm rather than 3000-4000rpm like standard rpm. That way when surfing you get full charging.

No jealousy at all here. I'm knee deep in the same scenario! :-) Mine is looking like it will end up around $10k, so I'm not quite as big of a baller.

I really want to go LEDs, but I don't know if I can swing it. Where are you putting the 2nd sub? I thought about doing 2 12"s but I don't know where I'd put the 2nd one.