Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for TOWER 2005 Response LXI

blakerea

I love the G3 but it looks a bit too talk/big for the Response. It is also super expensive.

Samson Blade would probably look pretty good, it is G3-ish (and a hell of a lot cheaper). The XTP factory tower would also look sweet.

Did anyone ever find out if Star One can do a DL6 of the T2?

Could you elaborate on what you mean? " do a DL6 " Thx.

Edit: Spoke with Scott from Star One last week, he pretty much confirmed that the

T3 is laid to rest. Maybe a resurrection if it became a mass produced item

for a manufacture. Hummmmmm...Malibu step up.....

Edited by Dare2goBare

Could you elaborate on what you mean? " do a DL6 " Thx.

Edit: Spoke with Scott from Star One last week, he pretty much confirmed that the

T3 is laid to rest. Maybe a resurrection if it became a mass produced item

for a manufacture. Hummmmmm...Malibu step up.....

Not the T3, the T2. Basically, a DL6 version on the T2. Make it 6" shorter than normal.

• Like 1

IIRC, it had to do with trademark/patent rights on the T3, that I believe still belong to Malibu.

Yea, I can understand that. But why wouldn't Malibu sell those rights back to Star One so they could make it again? Maybe because Malibu doesn't want to see T3 towers on whatever other make of boat?

That part is a head-scratcher for sure. Maybe they've got plans for the design? I don't know. It seems like they could use that design far more affordably than the G3 on the Ride series or some other "price point" model (chya, like any of these boats are price point, but I digress). But if they're not going to use it, it would be nice if they'd sell it if that's still the case. Heck, even if they just licensed Star One the rights for a while.

• Like 3

Anyone have the OEM from Skylon?

Talking with Samson right now about the blade. Do any of you know the rope length for slalom before it interferes? It is similar to the G3

I have a slalom arc's sheet, from a long long… long time ago. Contact point is 32 off. No issues until deeper shortline,

The Skylon Swoop is a nice tower too, although I do prefer the XTP. (as an FYI, the XTP was designed for the 3-event promo guys to not interfere with record class slalom skiers, not for bare footing)

The Samson, like the G3, needs to be mounted forward on the Lxi-TXi to help the rope issue for real short line. This does not allow it to fold inside the windshield.

pb.

SlalomArcs_zps67183115.jpg

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Pete when I when down to the factory back in 2004-05 when our boat was built, we where told the XTP tower was designed for Scrapa to use for footing by a VP of Malibu and someone from XTP during a bowling game. Not sure if its true but that's the story I'm going with.

I just wish that XTP would make the tower with the anchor light already installed on the rope spool. Didn't like the plastic add on ones so I did a little mod. and added one from XTP. Not hard to do if you have the right tools and know how.

post-82-0-98883700-1393443723_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-03454100-1393444260_thumb.jpg

Edited by onamission

<<<<"we where told the XTP tower was designed for Scarpa to use for footing by a VP of Malibu and someone from XTP during a bowling game">>>>

Yea, that's a bogus story. :)

Your tower light looks nice! I like it better than the one the tower comes with now, but perhaps they like it because it folds down.

pb

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook_zps10fb8b7e.jpg

i've been really happy with our samson blade. easy to fold down, very strong and I think it looks great.

about $3K.

Not sure how far ahead you need to mount it though. I need to take (samson) spinner rack off to get into a 9' x 7' garage door.

I looked long and hard before having Peter mount this one for me.

• Like 1

Facebook_zps10fb8b7e.jpg

i've been really happy with our samson blade. easy to fold down, very strong and I think it looks great.

about $3K.

Not sure how far ahead you need to mount it though. I need to take (samson) spinner rack off to get into a 9' x 7' garage door.

I looked long and hard before having Peter mount this one for me.

Does look great on the boat.

• 1 year later...

....Reviving a Dead Thread...

I've started the search for a tower for my 06 RLXI.....I love the unmolested lines of a ski boat without a tower, but sometimes the functionality of a tower outweighs the looks aspect. I love the look of the XTP...but after extensive calls, it is not made anymore (the one for the TXI will not fit the older gen RLXIs), nor can I find anyone selling one.

With that said I do like the look of the Samson Edge tower, does anyone have one of these? The Skylon looks to be quite a cheaper price, but seems to be much more of a blanket type of a tower.

Also that said the tower will add around 100# is that enough to notice on a ski wake? I primarily ski @ -15 to -22 @34 mph.

To the OP did you decide on a tower?

ahopkins22LSV

I don't think you will notice the difference in the ski weight. I will be like have ±1 person in the boat. I would probably avoid towers that go too far back. If you ever get -28 and shorter or have people out that do you may have an issue. What about the star one towers?

I was looking at the Star One's...but I was never really a fan of the T3 style.

I did find a picture on Samson's site for one installed on an LXI. The more I look at these, the more I think this might be the tower....next question would be black or brushed? (I'm thinking brushed as my boat lives on a hoist almost year round)

https://samsonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Malibu_wakeboard_tower_0_2__jpg.jpg

https://samsonsports.com/portfolio/malibu-wakeboard-towers-pictures/#prettyPhoto

Edited by Joeprunc

I was looking at the Star One's...but I was never really a fan of the T3 style.

I did find a picture on Samson's site for one installed on an LXI. The more I look at these, the more I think this might be the tower....next question would be black or brushed? (I'm thinking brushed as my boat lives on a hoist almost year round)

https://samsonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Malibu_wakeboard_tower_0_2__jpg.jpg

https://samsonsports.com/portfolio/malibu-wakeboard-towers-pictures/#prettyPhoto

You wont be able to get the T3 unless it is used anyway... Not an easy task. Star one only does the Deluxe which is the same as the T2. For a response you'd want a DL6 = Down Low 6" (or something like that) it is 6" shorter so the lines of the boat don't look off. Sounds like aren't really a fan of the style, I wasn't either, but after a lot of shopping I started to realize that dollar for dollar it is one of the better deals for performance.

For a slalom rig I agree with Ahopkins, don't get anything that will interfere with the rope.

I have a Skylon swoop on mine. Would have preferred an XTP but with the deal I got on my boat I manage just fine. The biggest downfall with my tower is that when you lower it, it hits the windshield trim. The PO use coolers to support it but I fabricated a PVC support that works great and is easily stowable.

IMHO, it looks better than the Samson.

Edited by inlandlaker

@joeprunc: I believe you will notice the added weight from a 100# tower, I have certainly noticed smaller changes in weight affect the wake. To satisfy your question get a couple of 50 # weights and set them where the tower CG will be on each side of the engine box and do an A to B comparison.

I have a Skylon swoop on mine. Would have preferred an XTP but with the deal I got on my boat I manage just fine. The biggest downfall with my tower is that when you lower it, it hits the windshield trim.

Are you sure you have a Skylon Swoop? That's the tower I have - it folds away from the windshield.

There are two attributes I prefer about the Samson over the Skylon. I like the more continuous line from the front hoop to the top of the tower, and I like the fact that the towers lower hoops are custom designed for each boat, which I would hope fits the windshield lines better.

I like the price of the Skylon better.

@inlandlaker do you have any higher resolution photos of your tower from the side, front and back? Do you see any issue having a black tower and the powder coating fading in the sun? Do you have to wax or maintain tower finish to keep it glossy? I keep my boat on the water year round so tower break down isn't an issue.