Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help Building T22

BlknYlwT22

I have a black hull, I was concerned about maintenance and it turned out not to be a problem. I always speed gloss after every use on the hull while on trailer and it looks great after 125 hours last season. It really adds a nice dimension change in the bow of the boat. I say go for a black hull if you don't mind wiping it down on a regular basis, but I think this should be done regardless of color.

I don't think I will be disappointed. Anything will be a huge upgrade over the hull of our '04.

Another question, is the Z5 Bimini collapsible?

What do you guys think about the black bottom? I think looks wise the black will looks awesome! I am concerned about maintenance though. Like I said earlier, the boat is kept on a lift and while I wipe the boat down every time it is pulled in, I am not going to be getting in the water to clean the underside every time.

And back to the sound system. What would you guys do?

Sound Pack 2 - 6 speakers, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 4 channel and 6 channel amps ($3100 MSRP - All Alpine)

Sound pack 3 - 6 speakers, 2 REV410 tower speakers, 12" sub, Syn 4 and Syn 6 amps ($4400 MSRP - All Wet Sounds)

Yes to black bottom! Post some pics of your gel scheme ideas.

Neither to the stereo options. Do it yourself.

What do you guys think about the black bottom? I think looks wise the black will looks awesome! I am concerned about maintenance though. Like I said earlier, the boat is kept on a lift and while I wipe the boat down every time it is pulled in, I am not going to be getting in the water to clean the underside every time.

And back to the sound system. What would you guys do?

Sound Pack 2 - 6 speakers, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 4 channel and 6 channel amps ($3100 MSRP - All Alpine)

Sound pack 3 - 6 speakers, 2 REV410 tower speakers, 12" sub, Syn 4 and Syn 6 amps ($4400 MSRP - All Wet Sounds)

You can't buy that stereo stuff that cheap everywhere. It will surely need to be retuned but for the money pack 3 looks like a pretty decent value to me.

So like I said earlier, Sound Pack 3 sounds like a no brainer to me. Wetsounds makes great audio gear and if you can get it all installed for that price, you are saving a ton from just buying the parts and doing it yourself. I just went on the Wetsounds site and added up everything you get with that package and the MSRP for just the speakers and amps comes out to $5229.89. (EDIT: just realized I had 6 PAIRS of the in-boat speakers, so take $525 off that price, and you're at $4700 total MSRP) That doesn't include any of the wiring you would need to install the amps, etc. You won't be disappointed with that setup. I only wish they offered that Wetsounds package 6 years ago when we ordered ours!

WetsoundsSP3Gear_zpsbf3fbed0.jpg

Edited by jtrovato

Yeah, now for $300 more that setup would be perfect -- if you could swap out the Syn6 for an SD6, then run the cabins off of the Syn 4 and bridge the SD6 into three channels (two for towers one for sub). That would be the optimum 2 amp setup. Syn6 is kindof a weird amp, and you can get a lot more flexibility for the money these days.

(^^^^ which is not to say that that wetsounds system would not rock out pretty hard... it definitely would and is way way better than the alpine setup)

• Like 1

Is your dealer a wetsounds authorized dealer? I got my wetsounds inboats for just a little more than the LSV stereo pack due to mine being one and getting a discount. I got 2 pair of 650s( the 65s blow), 2 pairs of 808s, and a SD6 to power them

Edited by CJAY

Yeah, now for $300 more that setup would be perfect -- if you could swap out the Syn6 for an SD6, then run the cabins off of the Syn 4 and bridge the SD6 into three channels (two for towers one for sub). That would be the optimum 2 amp setup. Syn6 is kindof a weird amp, and you can get a lot more flexibility for the money these days.

(^^^^ which is not to say that that wetsounds system would not rock out pretty hard... it definitely would and is way way better than the alpine setup)

This was the essence of my point. I'm not saying the setup isn't a good deal for $4,200 installed as compared to MSRP. I'm saying that it's only a good deal if it's the gear/configuration you want... if it's what you'd pick on your own. $4,200 is still a lot of cake if you don't love the setup. I'd rather spend a little more to get exactly what I want (after some research, listening to friend's boats, etc.)

Is that a proven setup (enough power)? Does the OP care about having 410's on the tower instead of Rev10's, 8's or Icons? Has the OP listened to a system just like this? Does he know how it will sound? $4,200 is too much to spend unless it's exactly what he would choose anyway and he knows exactly how it will sound.

All I'm saying is, don't just trust that because it's Wetsounds it's going to rock. I'm not saying it won't. I'm just saying he should be sure. I learned this lesson the hard way. Also, if you go this route, I'd find out now where the nearest Wetsounds authorized dealer is because you should get it tuned there, and be prepared to have that shop honoring Wetsounds warranty if something goes wrong (in that case you'll need Wetsounds authorization to take it there because you didn't buy the gear from that shop). You'll also probably want a WS420 or similar EQ. So figure another $500ish installed??

I have also heard Malibu does not have a good install history of actually installing systems properly. The components can be all good, but if it's not wired, tuned or installed properly seems like a waist of money. If you have a problem is your dealer actually going to be able to fix the issue? Most dealers don't seem to be stereo experts. This would be my concern about having Malibu install the system over a professional shop that specializes in wetsounds or exile.

Just gonna add I've always paid considerably less than listed MSRP on my WS gear.... And yes from auth dealer with warranty.

And if I were configuring a full WS system from the ground up, I'd have their speakers powered at 20-30% over RMS to get the full bang for those big bucks. And yes an auth WS dealer can do that too.

This was the essence of my point. I'm not saying the setup isn't a good deal for $4,200 installed as compared to MSRP. I'm saying that it's only a good deal if it's the gear/configuration you want... if it's what you'd pick on your own. $4,200 is still a lot of cake if you don't love the setup. I'd rather spend a little more to get exactly what I want (after some research, listening to friend's boats, etc.)

Is that a proven setup (enough power)? Does the OP care about having 410's on the tower instead of Rev10's, 8's or Icons? Has the OP listened to a system just like this? Does he know how it will sound? $4,200 is too much to spend unless it's exactly what he would choose anyway and he knows exactly how it will sound.

All I'm saying is, don't just trust that because it's Wetsounds it's going to rock. I'm not saying it won't. I'm just saying he should be sure. I learned this lesson the hard way. Also, if you go this route, I'd find out now where the nearest Wetsounds authorized dealer is because you should get it tuned there, and be prepared to have that shop honoring Wetsounds warranty if something goes wrong (in that case you'll need Wetsounds authorization to take it there because you didn't buy the gear from that shop). You'll also probably want a WS420 or similar EQ. So figure another $500ish installed??

I agree with you on making sure that's what the OP wants before spending that kind of money. For probably 85-90% of us, that would be all that we would want/need. But you're right, there are plenty of others that would want to customize further and wish they had gotten something different/better.

The problem with getting the system through Malibu is the warranty process. If something breaks, your dealer must get it ordered through Malibu. If you use your dealer or a local stereo shop, this is going to be a much more straightforward process.

My dealer prefers to do the wetsounds stuff as custom jobs for this reason and the reason that he can usually save you a few bucks.

Some good comments here. I want something that has clear vocals and good boom to compliment it. Definitely want the sounds to be crisp. I am far from an audiophile but I want to hear what I am listening to while wakeboarding and hear it well. Sounds like this system will be plenty for me.

I just didn't know if there was another brand to consider (exile) that may be potentially cheaper and you aren't giving up much quality.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

I don't think I will be disappointed. Anything will be a huge upgrade over the hull of our '04.

Another question, is the Z5 Bimini collapsible?

No z-5 is not collapsible. I had one on my Supra, great storage but it comes with a trade off of not being able to collapse on water, difficult to store and remove from boat. Plus you have to tow with it on. After using both (extra board racks) I would spend the money on extra board racks over the z-5.

Personally I could not buy a boat without spending time on the water with it before writing the check. It's a huge investment, but that is just me... Sounds like you have your mind made up already. I hope it's everything you want and more.

Edited by Fman

Believe me I would love to demo the boat but the time and slots are running out to order. It's either I do it now or wait until fall and I don't particularly want to do that.

Some good comments here. I want something that has clear vocals and good boom to compliment it. Definitely want the sounds to be crisp. I am far from an audiophile but I want to hear what I am listening to while wakeboarding and hear it well. Sounds like this system will be plenty for me.

I just didn't know if there was another brand to consider (exile) that may be potentially cheaper and you aren't giving up much quality.

My bet is that you will need to do two things to get the most out of the system. First, tune it. You can get advice online, or just take it to your local high end stereo shop. Second, if every malibu I've ever seen ever is any indication, you will absolutely positively need to build a box for that sub. It's going to come in some sort of janky poorly constructed unsealed box if it has a box at all.

Believe me I would love to demo the boat but the time and slots are running out to order. It's either I do it now or wait until fall and I don't particularly want to do that.

I can understand that, I am sure its going to be awesome, everyone who has the A22 loves them, and I think the T22 is even a step up... boat looks great. Do you have any pics of what gel scheme you are considering? I know you were on the fence about the black hull.

ahopkins22LSV

All I have heard from people that have demo'd it, is nothing but good things.

On the black hull... I wouldn't do it for one reason and one reason only.... Not my cup of tea. Total personal opinion. Some boats pull it off but I am just not a fan.

Post up some images of the online boat creator of what you are thinking!

Paying Cash. Wouldn't buy it otherwise and I'm not trying to start the debate...

I will post up some pictures of the color scheme I am thinking.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX
  • Like 3