Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help Building T22

BlknYlwT22

As some of you know, I have been exploring an upgrade to '04 VLX for quite some time and after spending a lot of time in the T22 today I have a pretty good feeling it is going to be the winner. We optioned one out today to see what the price would be and this is the list we came up with.

- Monsoon 330

- dual Battery w/ switch

- pull up cleats

- flip up bolser

- deck trac - traction pads

- W/S Mount - PTM Panoramic

- chillAX flip up seat

- socking lights

- underseat lighting

- underwater lighting

- removable carpet

- bimini

- depth finder

- boat cover (not sure if Cory can hook me up with an Evo instead)

- PNP

- wedge

- surf gate

- ski pylon

- stainless steel cupholders

- heater 3 outlet

- V2 tower upgrade w/ quick release knobs

- swivel racks

- stereo option 3 / Wetsounds (This is my biggest sticking point. Not sure if I should do my own custom stereo or if the Wetsounds install is the way to go. This is a $4,200 option)

- bluetooth

- transom remote

I really want to do the tricked out trailer too but it really makes no sense for me considering the boat sits on a lift all season long. At the same time, man it looks so much better on that trailer!

Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for things I should add to the list or that maybe I don't need to pay for?? I have read in other threads about a tricked out stitch option but we didn't talk colors or interior today so that may be something added to the list.

What would a "vandall" edition run? Typically you can get it and if you don't like the graphics you can change them out for the traditional graphics. As for the stereo, I would go with the base and upgrade it on my own. $4300 upgrade seems pretty high to me.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

As some of you know, I have been exploring an upgrade to '04 VLX for quite some time and after spending a lot of time in the T22 today I have a pretty good feeling it is going to be the winner. We optioned one out today to see what the price would be and this is the list we came up with.

- Monsoon 330

- dual Battery w/ switch

- pull up cleats

- flip up bolser

- deck trac - traction pads

- W/S Mount - PTM Panoramic

- chillAX flip up seat

- socking lights

- underseat lighting

- underwater lighting

- removable carpet

- bimini

- depth finder

- boat cover (not sure if Cory can hook me up with an Evo instead)

- PNP

- wedge

- surf gate

- ski pylon

- stainless steel cupholders

- heater 3 outlet

- V2 tower upgrade w/ quick release knobs

- swivel racks

- stereo option 3 / Wetsounds (This is my biggest sticking point. Not sure if I should do my own custom stereo or if the Wetsounds install is the way to go. This is a $4,200 option)

- bluetooth

- transom remote

I really want to do the tricked out trailer too but it really makes no sense for me considering the boat sits on a lift all season long. At the same time, man it looks so much better on that trailer!

Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions for things I should add to the list or that maybe I don't need to pay for?? I have read in other threads about a tricked out stitch option but we didn't talk colors or interior today so that may be something added to the list.

IMO I would eliminate the options that I put in bold and upgrade to at least the Monsoon 350SS. With stock + PNP ballast + wedge you are going to be pushing quite a bit of weight.

Stereo installs can seem daunting but we have a plethora of knowledge on here that can walk you through step by step and it isn't as bad once you have the items in hand and see what people are talking about. The worst part about installing stereo's is running the wiring and that should be done already. Cupholders (don't know how much they are too add from the factory) can be bought from Bakes or other sources and are a good Christmas or birthday idea for people to get you. Underwater lighting is also easy to add.

Other than that sounds like you have a very nice boat about to be ordered!

I would eliminate docking lights and add the runway lighting to the trailer. I had docking lights on my last boat, and I can't think of a time I ever used them. Runway lighting is much more useful!! Oh, and I bet Cory could have a cover to you. I already have mine for my 23LSV, and he just got the pattern in December I think.

Edited by mrnate450r

Keep the docking lights. They aren't expensive and will help when you are pulling on to your hoist at night.

I ordered without a stereo and will be putting my own in. For 4300 you could add one helluva stereo.

If you do decide to adjust the order to not have a stereo you can still request them to add the amp rack. I Highly recommend that.

I ordered the top stitch but haven't seen too many photos online of it. I'll be at the plant in 2 wks and will take photos of the top stitch and send out.

JB There is no Vandall Edition available on the T22 yet. Even if there was what would be the advantage of ordering it and then taking the graphics off? isn't the package pretty much just an appearance/cosmetic option?

I agree with you guys on the stereo. $4,300 is a lot of money. It is a daunting task to buy you own system that sounds great but I am sure there will be good info here. The only disadvantage is I lose the warranty. I was told yesterday that I have to order one of the stereo packs and stereo pack 1 costs $700.

I will have to call Cory and ask about an Evo cover.

Sounds like the 350 is the way to go. So I will look into possibly eliminating a few things to get it in there. Money saved on the stereo would probably cover that.

Money saved from the stereo you'll be halfway to an LS3.

Well I still want a kick butt stereo but if I can do that and save some money that's a no brainer compared to $4,200.

One thing to consider on the tricked out trailer option is that it includes several items you might be paying for anyways. I've added color match paint, spare tire, and ratchet straps to my last 2 trailers. Getting the tricked out option which includes those items, rear steps, rims, and runway lighting was only another $800. I rarely tow my boat as well, but for the small change in price difference it made sense for me.

<br />Well I still want a kick butt stereo but if I can do that and save some money that's a no brainer compared to $4,200.

<br /><br />Yeah that package includes 2 rev 410s, 6 or 8 WS interior speakers, and a sub and amps. You can get those things for a lot less...

I just placed my order for a new T series last week. It's loaded with everything except

Deck Track

Tricked out trailer

Decadence carpet

Closed cooling salt water package

I got everything else and upgraded to the Z5 Bimini and got the monsoon 350 and added the mag wheels to the stock trailer as I will be using the boat on a lift too. all for less than 60k. I am upgrading from a jet drive boat so this is a huge step for me.

I did struggle with the engine upgrade also. I hear you guys talking about more power and that makes sense to me...but my dealer and everything else I read suggested that the right prop is all you need. I wanted to put the 6 liter motor in but my dealer told me that the torque curve on the 6 liter wasn't a significant gain to justify the price. I did consider the closed cooling also thinking that that would make winterizing that much easier...but after reading more I chose to save the money.

Sent from Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Dealer made a good call on the motor. I've been in a 6.0 and a 350 and it didn't feel a lot different. The torque curve is actually higher from the 350 till about 3k rpm I think.

Yeah...I spent some time looking at all the torque curves and horsepower stats on all the motors. The one I really wanted of course was the vette motor and it was almost 10 grand to get it. I went with the 350 because I like the aesthetics of the 350 more than the horsepower gain.

Sent from Tapatalk HD

If you go with just the 350, I'd also check the box for the "torque prop." That's the ACME 2315 (15x12). I have that engine/prop combo on my VLX with ballast, pnp, wedge, bow sac, yada, yada and it is good to go. However, I have never tried it at high altitude.

I would skip the docking lights, surfing lights, underseat lights, deck track, fancy cup holders, stereo option 3, bluetooth, and transome remote. I keep thinkingb back to your other thread and how concerned you seemed with budget. I'm all for stretching to get a shiny new Axis, but all those options I listed seem unnecessary if you're trying to keep this reasonable. The things I listed would not be found on any of the used VLX's or Vrides you were looking at.

I agree with others on stereo. I will never give another boat company one penny of audio money. I did the factory installed Wetsounds routine once before (not with Malibu) and it was a disaster. And even though it's covered by factory warranty, you dealer and Malibu are not equipped to handle it, so you'll end up on the phone with Wetsounds anyway and towing the boat to their neatest authorized dealer (wherever that is).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I went with the cinco 5 blade. I. Have been reading great things about that prop and my dealer said it really sips the gas. I am probably going to get the high torque as a spare.

I felt like getting sound pack 3 was a good choice. I didn't pay MSRP so it was a pretty good deal IMO.

2004- If you are the type of guy who keeps your boat for a long time, 7-8yrs +.... then rock on and enjoy the options you have listed.

If you think you may flip this boat in just a few years... you have a lot of options on there driving the price up that abosolutely will not be recouped and you will take the hit on those.

Let us know what camp you are in ^^ if this matters to you.

I would like to think the boat will be kept for awhile but at the same time I know how I am. I like change. At the same time, hard to say what newer and better things will be out in a few years or what my position will be financially. Would love to hear your input as far as "wasted" options. This is our first new boat and it is overwhelming.

I would love to be able to get a deal like Fishn4four! Seems to me you got a great price on a very well equipped boat!

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Whether options are "wasted" or not and whether you'll "lose more" on them is also a function of the deal you make. Some dealers may let you order options for cost. Others will charge malibu's pricing, and others in between. Whether that money is well-spent or not is as much a function of the deal you have as it is its desirability. I've always loaded boats up with everything but the largest engine. I've never had an issue selling any for an appropriate amount, nor have I had anyone EVER say, you know, I just don't want option ___. So long as you're not paying crazy amounts for options, I say load it up. That said, the Axis demographic is slightly different and if it gets too pricey at resale, some folks will simply be comapring you to a bu. Just a thought. That said, I didn't see anything wrong with your options but 350 would be preferable obviously....Oh, and I don't agree on the 5 blade. I think it was wakemakers did a review of like 5 props all back to back it was not the preferred prop. That and you cannot use a conventional c-clamp puller should you need to save a weekend. Stereo is your call. Something to be said for it arriving installed and just needing a retune. If your dealer wants the work, could help with the deal too.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I would like to think the boat will be kept for awhile but at the same time I know how I am. I like change. At the same time, hard to say what newer and better things will be out in a few years or what my position will be financially. Would love to hear your input as far as "wasted" options.

2004 - I'm not calling them wasted options by any means... if you enjoy them and will get that $XXXX amount of enjoyment of having them on there, then go for it. Lke 85 said... if you are getting them at a discount, or for free, then by all means.... what i am saying is ensure you know that some of them you eat entirely yourself for most purposes... but these following options are not going to keep the price up when you go to resale or trade IMO:

deck trac pads

docking lights

undeseat lights

These I'd do myself at a substantial savings, fully understand why you'd want them:

transom remote

SS Cup holders

PTM Mirror- just check the price what it costs you to buy direct

underwater LEDS - maybe 50% recoup with OEMs

Stereo - maybe 50% recoup with OEM

I dont understand the $4200 upcharge for the tricked out trailer, whats the base trailer cost? A fully blinged out dual Boatmate COSTS $5-6k. Ask the dealer if you can arrange your own deal on a trailer and wrap it into financing, like you wanted to do on the Evo cover. I do think bling trailers are important on the used market, especially private sale or consignment...but not for that upcharge.

my 2 cents

2004wakesetter- I struggled with buying a used VLX/LSV or getting a brand new axis. Once they released the new T series, my mind was made up. It may not be as nice as the full fledged malibu or have the cool gadgets and tower, but it's going to be an awesome boat with a great wake! I visited the factory last fall for a tour and they build axis side by side with the malibu's. There is no separate area with lower quality construction methods....and with the upgraded vinyl this year it's even better.

I am planning to keep the boat for many years for my family and choose to get everything that I wanted. I am located about an hour and half from the factory and my dealer is a small one. He didn't price the boat option by option but rather...a % blanket discount on the boat. I felt I got a great deal on a brand new boat with everything in it.

All the numbers I have are MSRP but the trailer upgrade I was quoted was $2800 not $4200. The stereo is the $4200 option. I haven't truly worked numbers yet. Just went though the list with a dealer and said yay or nay if I wanted the option. If it was an option I wasn't sure of I asked how much. According to the price sheet the underwater lights are $325.

I guess my question to you guys on the stereo is, if I can get a good price on the package are the wesounds the way to go. if there is something better I can get for the same money then I will go that route.