Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mastercraft NXT.

UpperleftWake

I find it interesting that MC chose to call this line MC NXT

Supra calling the Moomba line "Moomba" and not "Supra Lite" or whatever seems like a strategic decision

Same goes for Malibu and Axis, Lexus/Toyota, and the list goes on...

I wonder why MC decided not to do that. They would never bank on selling boats by name recognition alone. :whistle:

Edited by DocPhilMD

The boat is nice in my opinion. Almost every car or boat company makes entry level options. For Porsche it is the Boxter, Mercedes the c class, BMW the x1 and the list goes on and on. Mastercraft builds a really nice boat.

What will be the differences from a loaded up X-25 or any comparable MC to reduce the cost down? Trying to think of ways they can take a $125k boat and sell it for $50k?

Cheaper vinyl

No rear facing seats

Windshield sides removed

Tower

Dash/helm (no electronics - toggle switches)

Cable throttle (no throttle by wire)

Paddlewheel speed control

No foam

Different seat basins

Base stereo

No surf system

Single axle trailer

Anything else?

What will be the differences from a loaded up X-25 or any comparable MC to reduce the cost down? Trying to think of ways they can take a $125k boat and sell it for $50k?

Cheaper vinyl

No rear facing seats

Windshield sides removed

Tower

No foam

Different seat basins

Base stereo

No surf system

Single axle trailer

Anything else?

Looks like that would be a good start... The only problem is by the time you shed all of that it is no longer a MC. They pride themselves in all the fancy gadgets and quality construction. I'm not doubting this will still be a nice boat, it just seems like it would have been more logical to do a price point brand like Supra and Malibu have.

l

Cheaper vinyl

No rear facing seats

Windshield sides removed

Tower

No foam

Different seat basins

Base stereo

No surf system

Single axle trailer

Anything else?

I believe they said zero off was going to come on them.

just guessing here: less billet aluminum. cheaper brand of marine audio, screwed only top and bottom hull connection (like Axis does it), less lighting options, overall LESS markup...

Cheaper vinyl

No rear facing seats

Windshield sides removed

Tower

No foam

Different seat basins

Base stereo

No surf system

Single axle trailer

Anything else?

Well, one major point I would make, is that this is a 20 footer. Compare it to an X2, which is 80k all day long, not 125k. The only boat that MC has, that will push 125k is a loaded XStar. (Actual paid price, that is) the NXT isn't going to have a giant margin gap like the others. You can get a nicely equipped X2 in the mid 70s. X25 is in the low-mid 90s

As far as cost cutting, I only know what I was told, which was posted earlier in this thread. It will be mostly related to-

Building the hull like most other boat companies. (No hand lay, no backing plates, lighter stringer assy)

Minimal billet trim

Non carbon weave vinyl

Plastic walk through door instead of billet

All manual controls and gauges

Etc

Edited by TenTwentyOne

^^^ I figured the X-25 was at least $105-110k (no taxes) now, in 2011 they had one at the boatshow and it was on "Special" for $95k (no taxes). I did not realize you could actually buy an X-2 for $80k. I know a well loaded up VLX is now in the low to mid 80's. The VLX had the biggest price jump this year in the entire wakesetter line.

Cheaper vinyl

No rear facing seats

Windshield sides removed

Tower

No foam

Different seat basins

Base stereo

No surf system

Single axle trailer

Anything else?

People keep mentioning the windshield - has no one seen the 2014 ProStar? And FWIW, the Prostar starts at 53K with the traditional MC stuff, so 50K isn't a big stretch if they want to cut a few things out..

Edited by oldjeep

People keep mentioning the windshield - has no one seen the 2014 ProStar?

You can order a "half windhield" like that on most of their other boats as well. I've seen a few x25s that had that windshield.

^^^ Great point, never considered the issues with the name being the same. I am really interested to see what the final product will end up looking like, still cant figure out why they did not reveal the boat when its fully completed, not a great reveal strategy imo. Cant think of any boat maker releasing a boat without a steering wheel/helm/throttle and then tells you to sign up for updates as the boat reaches final design?

^^^No different than a concept car in the auto industry. I'm not talking a 5 year out concept but a next gen concept which is usually unveiled a year (or less) in advance. We see it now with the Acura TLX and NSX. They have been unvailed but the final offerings will be different than what they have unvailed in detriot.

• Like 1

^^^ I figured the X-25 was at least $105-110k (no taxes) now, in 2011 they had one at the boatshow and it was on "Special" for $95k (no taxes). I did not realize you could actually buy an X-2 for $80k. I know a well loaded up VLX is now in the low to mid 80's. The VLX had the biggest price jump this year in the entire wakesetter line.

Well, my 13 Star was 122k with every option except cockpit table. (Including 7.4l, and power tower and triaxle trailer) my 12 X25 was fully loaded with a 6.2 and power tower, and it was 102k. My 2009 23 LSV was only 73k IIRC....

When I shopped this year, this is what I got for prices-

2014 X25 all options, 7.4l, tandem trailer (no power tower)- 108,600

2014 X30 optioned same as 25- 105,700

2014 Supra SC 550 loaded with trailer- 102,300

2014 G21 loaded with LSA and trailer- 127,600

2014 G23 ". "- 135,850

2014 23 LSV loaded with LSA and trailer- 122,000 from one dealer, and 111,600 from another dealer today..... He finally got back to me. First dealer would have probably negotiated a lot, but sticker shocked me at the time.

I remember a time when Malibu was 10k cheaper than MC, and supra was 10k below that. I think those days are over. The MSRP on the 23LSV and MC X30 were almost identical, and the SC was about 4k less than that. All right about 140-145k MSRP. The G series was in the 153- 162 range depending on G21 or G23.

Dropping the big engine, for an LS3, would drop those prices about 10k each.

It seems like all companies had a big price increase this year, except MC and Nautique. I couldn't believe the price difference from a 13 LSV to a 14. That being said, I think a normally optioned 23 LSV could be had for about 90-95k with good negotiation..... LSA is big $$$

Did those prices include tax and registration?

Heck no. But my state credits you for the sale of the last boat, so I don't have any taxes this year, because my Star sold for more than the new boat.

If I didn't have a boat that I just sold, it would add another 6-7k on all of those prices

I'm in the northeast

Edited by TenTwentyOne

It kind of sucks to walk into a Mastercraft showroom full of $100k + boats and come out with $50k boat. I wonder how much they cheapened it and how many corners they cut....Why in the world does the tower sit so far back?

I went X30. I was really bouncing around, and looking very hard at both the G23, and 23 LSV. I spend a lot of time in an LSV and a G23 (friends have them, and I owned a LSV at one time as well), and I love both boats. I looked at the Supra, because I really like the new owner of a Marina that just took on Supra this year.

I love them all, and like to change up a lot. There was a ton of factors, but the biggest were- The X30 surfs better than the X25..... not crazy about anything with the G series, except the awesome wakes, ......and I didn't see an advantage to paying considerably more for an LSV, than an X30. Although, I think with equal discounts, the prices would have probably been very close between the X30 and LSV.

And..... I am scared of Medallion electronic stuff. I have had more nightmares with medallion....

Edited by TenTwentyOne

8796-

I liked it, and disliked it.

Pros-

Very nice interior. Liked the patterns, and different vinyl types. Very comfortable, and very well contoured.

Big bow

probably my favorite tower of all of them

Murphy controls

Manual switches for everything

Better Polk system than Nautique uses

Easy to open bimini

POWER SEAT!!! (Up and down adjustment.)

Handles very well, with or without ballast loaded

Cons-

Weak floor. I could feel it flexing really bad when my 110lb gf was walking around.

Screen is up on top of the dash, and right in your face. I would hate that at night. And also a PITA to control, because you have to reach around the steering wheel. (Basically can't steer and change settings at the same time)

Lack of hinged cushions, or gullwing seats.

Shallow storage

Cramped engine bay

Large variance on hardware quality. Some was very nice, and some was very cheesy.

Electrical layout is a rats nest, and the connectors are the same as the cheap ones from auto zone. (Not the main connectors. Just the spade connectors at switches, and distribution block etc.)

Single sided battery system, instead of split. (2 batteries, but hooked in parallel, instead of being a separated system with a linking switch)

Only a rear bilge pump.

That is being very nitpicky. However, I was still impressed by the boat, but I didn't feel it was on par with the others. Especially considering the price. The only Skiers Choice product, I had ever been in before, was a few Moomba's. So, I was surprised by the difference in the Supra.

• Like 2