Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mastercraft NXT.

UpperleftWake

Swap the tower and it looks great to me. As for the windshield, it is pretty likely that both styles will be available. I am not crazy about that style, but it is handy for docking.

I had heard a bunch of details about this after dealer days, and the main points were-

-Use of parts that are phased out of prior generation models, to avoid R&D costs.

-Use the same vinyl and flooring materials as the other leading boat companies, instead of the carbon weave etc.

-Use of a more basic stringer structure like the ones that most manufacturers use, instead of the giant, laterally supported, structure that is used in the other MC boats.

-Possible Indmar power.

-Analog gauges for everything including ballast and tab positions :yahoo::clap:

-Plastic drop in wind door

-Less gullwing, and hinged seats. (Probably just observer gullwing, and hinged lockers)

-Polk, or wetsounds audio

-Chopper gun fiberglass application for the hull. No hand lay, or aluminum backing plates.

-Zero off standard

-Optional, button controlled, Gen2 Surf.

Basically- building the structure of the boat in a way that most manufacturers do already, using less expensive electrical components, and no touchscreen. Back to basics with the electrical system.

• Like 1

Swap the tower and it looks great to me. As for the windshield, it is pretty likely that both styles will be available. I am not crazy about that style, but it is handy for docking.

I had heard a bunch of details about this after dealer days, and the main points were-

-Use of parts that are phased out of prior generation models, to avoid R&D costs.

-Use the same vinyl and flooring materials as the other leading boat companies, instead of the carbon weave etc.

-Use of a more basic stringer structure like the ones that most manufacturers use, instead of the giant, laterally supported, structure that is used in the other MC boats.

-Possible Indmar power.

-Less gullwing, and hinged seats. (Probably just observer gullwing, and hinged lockers)

-Chopper gun fiberglass application for the hull. No hand lay, or aluminum backing plates.

-Zero off standard

Basically- building the structure of the boat in a way that most manufacturers do already, using less expensive electrical components, and no touchscreen. Back to basics with the electrical system.

If this is accurate, I predict a very successful MC boat line

But keep in mind that no one is really going to pay 50 K for one of these. A well optioned one will be pushing 70 I'm sure

Edited by DocPhilMD
  • Like 2

-Possible Indmar power.

-Zero off standard

No offense, but that sounds like they are going to make a malibu vRide, but at a better price point than the vRide.

• Like 3

But keep in mind that no one is really going to pay 50 K for one of these. A well optioned one will be pushing 70 I'm sure

That is still directly competing with Axis and Moomba. I don't think they are looking to compete with cheaper IOs

That is still directly competing with Axis and Moomba. I don't think they are looking to compete with cheaper IOs

Totally agree. But I can see these boats easily getting up to the 80 range when they start making 22 foot, 24 foot versions

They will quickly go the way of Axis. A loaded A24 is about 80K. This line will be no different. Yet moomba seems to make a sick boat around the 60K range year after year. They really are in a league of their own I think

Totally agree. But I can see these boats easily getting up to the 80 range when they start making 22 foot, 24 foot versions

They will quickly go the way of Axis. A loaded A24 is about 80K. This line will be no different. Yet moomba seems to make a sick boat around the 60K range year after year. They really are in a league of their own I think

Don't forget about Gekko in that league.

<br />No offense, but that sounds like they are going to make a malibu vRide, but at a better price point than the vRide.

<br /><br />And it includes a surf system

i am happy to see this budget minded MC. The tower, well, MC has never been known for gorgeous towers. But given our dealer situation here in KC, or lack of malibu dealer, if that budget MC comes with some surf feature and seats 16 and isn't a crossover hull, I will seriously consider it. x25 hull hoping, but it looks like smaller boat imo, 21' maybe.

After looking at boat shows last week, I really didn't like the small lockers on the new 23 lsv and bad engine access, enough so I don't want one, but I had looked a g series or ASR right before climbing into the 23 lsv I think. Strongly leaning towards a x25, but not sure about the surf system, lack there off. good thing I have another year or two before upgrading.

Well, Moomba makes a great intro boat...... That being said, I have spent several days in them, and I would never own one. From the perspective of somebody with an engineering mind, they are almost sickening. Not to mention that everything seems to rattle, shake, flex, and crack in them. They have gotten better in recent years, but still cheaply made. An Axis is a different story. Pretty much built like a Malibu without the frills, and tech BS.

Strongly leaning towards a x25, but not sure about the surf system, lack there off. good thing I have another year or two before upgrading.

I got the chance to ride an X30 with Gen 2, but not an X25. If it is anything like the X30, you wouldn't be sorry....... I froze my arse off!!. Water was 46 degrees.

The Axis line goes like this, with average options:

A20: 50-55k

T22: 58-63k (just a guess since they're so new)

A22: 60-65k

A24: 70-75k

Again, that's the ranges MOST of them will sell for. You might find the stray A20 leftover in the 40's. You may find blinged out A22's in the 70s. Any boat, loaded with expensive stereos and huge motors will be considerably more expensive, but those are the outlyers.

I forsee Mastercraft pricing falling directly in line with this. The 22 and 24 foot versions (if they come out with them) will DEFINITELY be a bit more than the 20 foot version.

Edited by boardjnky4

The Axis line goes like this, with average options:

A20: 50-55k

T22: 58-63k (just a guess since they're so new)

A22: 60-65k

A24: 70-75k

Again, that's the ranges MOST of them will sell for. You might find the stray A20 leftover in the 40's. You may find blinged out A22's in the 70s. Any boat, loaded with expensive stereos and huge motors will be considerably more expensive, but those are the outlyers.

I forsee Mastercraft pricing falling directly in line with this. The 22 and 24 foot versions (if they come out with them) will DEFINITELY be a bit more than the 20 foot version.

I disagree. I doubt this new NXT will be 50-55 if the base price is 50K. I would foresee the average being about 60-65. I suspect these boats will be about 10K more than their equal size axis counterparts

• Like 2

You have to wonder if boats like this one and the ones made under the Axis name will eventually end up like the Malibu Tantrum.

My first new boat was a Tantrum back in 1995. I payed around $17k out the door with a few options and 1 engine upgrade. This was when a new Response with the same options went for around 24k and the Echelon was probably upper 20's. The Tantrum was a great boat that skied well and all the build slots for it were sold out every year it was made. It was a chance for someone like me that had a new job, new house and new baby to get into a new boat that wasn't a Bayliner. It was a basic, very well built boat with few amenities for people that wanted a true inboard skiboat at an entry level price. However, Malibu decided that they could sell even more of them if they listened to some of the customer desires. People didn't like the windshield, the observers seats, no stereo, etc. So after some redesign, the Sportster was born. However, the price for the Sportster wasn't far from a Response and I think it lead to the eventual demise of the Sportster.

At some point, will these price point boats become loaded up enough that the pricetag won't be far off that of the more expensive model?

You have to wonder if boats like this one and the ones made under the Axis name will eventually end up like the Malibu Tantrum.

My first new boat was a Tantrum back in 1995. I payed around $17k out the door with a few options and 1 engine upgrade. This was when a new Response with the same options went for around 24k and the Echelon was probably upper 20's. The Tantrum was a great boat that skied well and all the build slots for it were sold out every year it was made. It was a chance for someone like me that had a new job, new house and new baby to get into a new boat that wasn't a Bayliner. It was a basic, very well built boat with few amenities for people that wanted a true inboard skiboat at an entry level price. However, Malibu decided that they could sell even more of them if they listened to some of the customer desires. People didn't like the windshield, the observers seats, no stereo, etc. So after some redesign, the Sportster was born. However, the price for the Sportster wasn't far from a Response and I think it lead to the eventual demise of the Sportster.

At some point, will these price point boats become loaded up enough that the pricetag won't be far off that of the more expensive model?

Thats already kind of the case. A loaded A22 not far off from a VLX. That said, Axis has been a huge success, I think even the 5th largest builder by numbers so I don't see axis "demising".

Personally, I think MC will build the NXT with the whole family in mind (in regards to styling). Based on styling, it seems like the Axis is built for the hardcore boarder male in the family. That could mean a successful boat, if only they could keep the prices down (which they won't)...

----getting on soap box here-----

Either way, my new boat buying days are over. No way am I paying the current prices of new boats. I have a feeling that more people are thinking this exact thing as well. the market is driving the big boys to make more inexpensive boats.

---off of soap box-----

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 2

Thats already kind of the case. A loaded A22 not far off from a VLX. That said, Axis has been a huge success, I think even the 5th largest builder by numbers so I don't see axis "demising".

I don't see that as a bad thing. It's all about trade-offs to hit a price point.

Axis shoppers with 70k to spend might want to get big motors, huge stereos and tricked out gel coats. Malibu shoppers at that price point might want plush interiors, touchscreens, power wedges, etc...

I would take the loaded A22 over the VLX any day of the week. Others here may disagree, but that's the beauty of what Malibu has done.

In the end, ANY wake boat can be loaded with 10-15k worth of options. Axis/Malibu/MC/Nautique/Supra/Moomba/Centurion...

Edited by boardjnky4

Given Malibu's self confessed "cuz we can" explanation for the price increases on the Axis line, it would be interesting to see if another manufacturer were willing to come in with less profit per boat just to chip away at market share for a while.

I disagree. I doubt this new NXT will be 50-55 if the base price is 50K. I would foresee the average being about 60-65. I suspect these boats will be about 10K more than their equal size axis counterparts

If the base price includes a trailer for under $50k (which is what MC is saying), then I can't see why it wouldn't come in under $55k with basic options like a cover, bimini, etc... We also know that dealers rarely sell boats at MSRP. If MSRP is under $50k, then I would say FOR SURE, that a moderately equipped boat will be in the low 50s.

Only time will tell, but I'll be willing to bet that if that holds true, that they're going to be cutting into Axis sales quite a bit. That would be GREAT for consumers, though. Malibu is raising prices on them (as stated by shawndoggy) just because they can. Competition SHOULD change that in theory.

Edited by boardjnky4

If the base price includes a trailer for under $50k (which is what MC is saying), then I can't see why it wouldn't come in under $55k with basic options like a cover, bimini, etc... We also know that dealers rarely sell boats at MSRP. If MSRP is under $50k, then I would say FOR SURE, that a moderately equipped boat will be in the low 50s.

Only time will tell, but I'll be willing to bet that if that holds true, that they're going to be cutting into Axis sales quite a bit. That would be GREAT for consumers, though. Malibu is raising prices on them (as stated by shawndoggy) just because they can. Competition SHOULD change that in theory.

I hope you are right.

I'm all for lower prices :clap:

• Like 2