Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mastercraft NXT.

UpperleftWake

Well right. But that wasn't the challenge now was it? ;)

If i remember correctly, and i could be mistaken. The whole discussion was is there validity to a 1/2 windshield. One member said yes as they use the lack of a windshield to grab the dock when docking. That is when others myself included said we do the same thing grabbing the dock and hoping it while docking.

If i remember correctly, and i could be mistaken. The whole discussion was is there validity to a 1/2 windshield. One member said yes as they use the lack of a windshield to grab the dock when docking. That is when others myself included said we do the same thing grabbing the dock and hoping it while docking.

Don't even need a 1/2 windshield. The 80 year old guy I ski with once in a while docks his Prostar between skiers by sliding sideways and holding onto his dock. Not exactly that hard to imagine. Any decent dock used by a ski boat already has some sort of padding on it.

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV

Okay. POST 409# is the reason I bumped this thread. For fun. To lightheartedly tease Longbeard, Tn_Rider, Defacto & the others that seemed so eager to disprove what I was saying...............then didn't. It was just for fun. Maybe to get a funny video out of the deal... maybe give someone a funny thing to do over the weekend..... maybe put some faces & hulls to the screen names......maybe to show Defacto I am the all-knowingest boat docker of all time....... Who knows?

But it wasn't to rehash points I've already made just so they could allude you for the 5th time. :Tease3: If you want to make up your own challenge, fenders in tow, be my guest. And if you want clarification on my point, there's plenty already here to parse through.

Cheers :cheers:

I just wanted to point out you were segregating us diamond hull'ers :Tease3:

That's an ice bucket challenge I can get behind, in fact I'll do it thrice.

As for docking, "Never approach a dock faster than your willing to hit it." That goes through my head everytime I dock. I come in slow, and can "adjust" the position of the boat with my hand out over the glass, fully control, no. And fenders are my best friend in docking.

I like the short windshields. These are boats, all you need is to keep the wind/spray off your face. I've never really understood side windows and their purpose. I like the openness.

I like the short windshields. These are boats, all you need is to keep the wind/spray off your face. I've never really understood side windows and their purpose. I like the openness.

The only thing I can think of is that you must only boat on calm water. Some days where we boat the spray does come in the boat and if we didn't have side windows it would be only be worse. Some days even while surfing the observers are getting dowsed.....even with side windows. I will also venture to say that these side window cut down on wind turbulence inside the boat. Its nice to tuck behind them when traveling faster especially on cold days.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So, it's been 5 weeks kiddos.... Hellllllloooooooo? Not one video?? ALL of you "forgot"?

Did you reeeeeaaallllly think I'd forget? Really? :lol:

Ok well, Labor Day weekend is upon us.......and I'm assuming you'll all be near a boat and a phone...... here's your chance....

And just to review: No fenders, no help, one hand over the windshield, 30-60 seconds holding it there without touching the dock. And I expect a view that shows no part of your boat touched the dock AND that I see the first attempt (not the 5th). Honor system. :lol:

Good luck and have a great Labor Day Weekend ! :cheers:

Alright Alright Alright.

Went riding today, had my buddy film me picking him up at the dock. I did it on video twice, then 2 times without. So here is my first attempt.

Also, I was filling ballast during this time and I estimate I was at about half full (2000 lbs) during this attempt.

I have a second video from the boat bow from my second attempt, but my friend cut it off too soon so its too hard to judge if I would have made contact with the dock (which I did not), so I decided to just posted my first video.

• Like 3

I tried this challenge over the weekend with my cruiser. I think I came in a little hot and am lucky I didn't break my arm.

post-2570-0-62898300-1410364406_thumb.jp

Edit: No bumpers needed though!

Edited by Badger
  • Like 3

See BS, it was so easy that he let his wife give it a go.

Edit: The more I look at the picture, the more I think she cheated and used the noodles as bumpers.

Edited by ac88926
  • Like 2

SO, here it is Defacto: I stand corrected. I was wrong. It's possible, with a good driver and good conditions, to make not having a side windshield an advantage when docking.

OMG......

Mark that one in the books :shocked:

Ok, first off: Nice driving Defacto. I like the little final bump into forward with the left hand to stop the stern from continuing to swing to starboard. Expertly done. Heck, you didn't even really need to reach out, you had it so perfect. My favorite part of the video is the conversation that occurs 10 seconds after the video ends: "Hey, why'd you need me to tape you docking?" "ehhh, some moron on the internet said I couldn't do it" :lol:

But you do have to admit that is absolutely, positively perfectly conditions. I guess I don't boat in those kind of conditions, ever. Even when it's "perfectly still" on a river.......it ain't. And I've never had a day that perfectly calm, with no boats around, on a lake....at least when docking.

SO, here it is Defacto: I stand corrected. I was wrong. It's possible, with a good driver and good conditions, to make not having a side windshield an advantage when docking.

I guess part of my ignorance on this stems from the fact that when I approach a dock......

-when I have a crew: I do exactly what Defacto did, but I have no need to reach over because the guys are already walking off to tie up OR the person we're picking up just walks on and off we go

-when I'm by myself: I do exactly what Defacto did, but then I just walk off and tie up OR the person I'm picking up just walks on the boat and off we go

......and I imagine that, had Defacto's buddy not been given videographer duties for the day, he would have done the same thing.....just walked on the boat and taken off. So while I was 110% wrong........... I still don't see the need for this advantage.

I still like the "cool factor of being able to wave to a passing boat" explanation better :lol: .......but I was wrong.

It takes a set of stones to admit that you were wrong. Even though you tried to justify it by saying that your lake conditions arent ever that perfect and that you still dont see the need for this advantage. The point is that you said it couldnt be done. I believe we said earlier that conditions have quite a bit to do with it but it can be done. Just like in the thread about getting spray into the boat where the windshield cutouts are. It depends on your conditions and other factors. Where I ride, the conditions look identical to JohnnyDefacto's, and I never get spray into my boat. Again, it takes a lot to admit you're wrong..... even if you have to justify it.... :yahoo:

I love the malibu crew. You guys are great. You are right BS, I didn't even need my hand out there, usually never do, but I was so nervous.... no practice, no "do-overs", being filmed... The whole time thinking that there are a few dozen guys that are depending on me right now to do this correctly!!! Knowing that if I don't get this on film, BS will never let me hear the end of it!! hahaha. Too much stress going on there, I wakeboard to get rid of stress...

anyhow this is all in good fun. I love my sideless windshield for this purpose, and yes I am very blessed to be able to ride where I do, in calm water all the time.

So now, who is next? I want to see more video

I promise I will video the next time out. I can do it 9/10 times without bumping the stern. When I do bump the stern, it's so light that no damage will occur. I would think that there's a lot of us on this site that can pull this off. Only because we are fanatics about boating. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that BS felt that it was anything less than easily doable. Can you not perform this manuver more often than not BS?

I can still say after this entire thread that I wouldn't count on being able to dock 1 handed....ever. Why? Because if you can do it right 99 times out of a 100, theres still going to be that 1 time when the wind kicks up, when the guy plows through the no wake zone etc....and your boat bumps the dock.

And with the kind of docks we have where we boat....you don't want that to happen.

So in conclusion.....can it be done? Obviously. Am I willing to bet against mother nature or Wallies? :no:

• 6 months later...

Look for the NXT 22 and 24 to be announced this month

There was some talk on TT about the NXT 22 so I googled "mastercraft NXT 22" and this site came up

http://press.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/nxt22

It was a page on the MC site devoted to the NXT 22 and had a drop down for NXT 22 and 24. All the images were missing. It was like a prototype page in a sense.

I posted the link on TT and then it was removed about an hour later. I think Doc stumbled upon something he wasn't supposed to

Edited by DocPhil