Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TuneMob - connect your boats

wakebrdr94

Mods, feel free to move this to the stereo discussions. Since it seems this is a topic of some interest, i thought it might deserve a general read.

So Cowwboy found this app and posted it in another thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own. It allows you to link up to seven iOS devices via bluetooth and sync your music. This would mean you can link multiple boats together via bluetooth. So I downloaded this app to my iphone, the wifes, an ipod touch, and ipad to try it out. I tried a couple different set ups to see what worked and what didn't.

It's really a simple app. install it on each device, and launch it. one device is the "DJ" and the rest sync to that one device. after the app has launched on all devices, press start on the "DJ" device, then press join on all the other devices. Select songs to add to your play list from the DJ device, and press play. That's all.

First, it sync'd all the devices just fine, music was perfectly in sync with each device. I kept 2 devices down stairs, (one in the kitchen, and one in the main room, and placed the other two devices upstairs in separate bedrooms. No issues, music ran fine across all of them. This is the best trouble free way to run the app. Only complaint about the music it the 5 sec delay between songs.

Next I went to my car to try this out. Bluetooth synced with my car, and the other devices, but now the music was off sync. There was a delay in my car vs the other devices. no go. I then tried to run it through the wifi unit (airenabler) in the car. Again, all the devices connected, but there was a delay between the car and the rest of the devices

I tried with my Truck that has an IPOD ready/control Pioneer head unit. This did not work either as the head unit took control of the ipod and could not sync with the rest of the units

I then placed three units on IPOD speaker docks, this method worked well, they still sync'd, and played through the docks, although it was a little glitchy this route. Two devices lost connectivity. stopped the app, sync'd them all again, then they all seemed to work again. it would appear the key in this situation is to get them docked first, then launch the apps and go

I do not have a boat yet to try it on the ipod cable through the boat, but my guess it is will not work as the black box take control of the unit.

It did work really well through the headphone jacks, and into an aux input on the stereo.

So far, IMO, this will work pretty well to sync a couple boats. The best way to accomplish this would be to use the headphone jacks, into the AUX input in your stereos. The DJ device will control the music and volume as well for all devices sync'd. I think this app has real potential. Great find Cowwboy

here is a video showing it

Sound quality was good. I ran it through my home stereo and a another device on a speaker dock and it was just fine. I would think you'd run into issues as I did anytime you are going outside of what it is designed for.

I really think it will work great in the boats if all use the headphone jack.

You do have to use your playlist, but still a great idea to link boats. Easiest thing I have seen thus far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

I was also able to connect the slave and "dj" phone by bt to my radio. I did notice the more I mess with it while playing it gets buggy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

When I got home I tried it on my galaxy and the wifes iphone and couldn't get them to see each other.

Well now to hope that tune mob gets the android app out soon.

Maybe mystream will fix their bugs.

Being able to do it across wifi would be sweet. Especially if no one had to have equipment besides a smart phone to connect to you.

Put a nice router on your amp rack with a signal booster and a hidden antenna on the tower.

Man you guys are making this tuff. I have used a FM transmitter for a little while now and it works great! as long as you can get FM your all linked with no issues. I think I paid under $100 for mine and another $50 for the big secret antenna. I hooked it up on the amp board and used one of the pass thrus on my amp. Done and done flip a switch and broadcast away. FM doesn't care about apple, android etc.. Its worth looking into if you

I bought on of those FM transmitters & it doesnt work nearly as we'll as the setup we all had on Banks a few years ago. Static & noisy. Sucks.

-

Bill

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

FM transmitter's have come along way. You just have to buy a good unit. KPUN radio got me started. It took a little work to get it set up to be good. But now it works great. We did a Christmas cruise and all the boats on the lake had the same music. It was good to 1000 yds. With no loss in quality. Way more than needed for a party cove set up.

• 2 weeks later...

FM transmitter's have come along way. You just have to buy a good unit. KPUN radio got me started. It took a little work to get it set up to be good. But now it works great. We did a Christmas cruise and all the boats on the lake had the same music. It was good to 1000 yds. With no loss in quality. Way more than needed for a party cove set up.

I'm going to bring mine to Seattle the next time I'm there & get you to set it up. I bought the same unit that you guys were using & am not getting nearly the same results.