Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Site access questions

WakeGirl

Mobile user access questions  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How do you access the site on your phone?

• Tapatalk
    • Browser with mobile skin
    • Browser with standard skin
    • I don't access TMC with my phone
  2. 2. Do you use RSS for TMC?

• Yes, often
    • Yes, sometimes or rarely
    • No

Now this poll is legit. :)

Some recent discussions that the other mods & I have had got me thinking about this. So if you would, please vote. And feel free to leave comments about your preferred method of mobile access, specifically from a phone. I'm not quite as interested in tablets because my feeling is that the site views well enough in standard view on a bigger screen like that, so a mobile skin or Tapatalk isn't really needed on those devices.

The RSS question is there because frankly I'd like to just disable it altogether.

Lol, maybe they don't! I rarely use it.

EDIT: Okay that's really funny. I just checked it & sure enough, they don't work in Tapatalk. So if you're viewing this with Tapatalk, you won't be able to vote. You'll need to go in either on your computer, or via browser to vote.

The mobile version looks pretty bad on my phone so I never use that, I've been using tapatalk since it became free, but I'd be fine with using the full web version. Also recently tapatalk has been messing up quotes so I should probably switch anyway.

I don't use tapatalk because I'm too cheap to pay for it.

I voted no to RSS because I have no idea what RSS is.

Edit: Just looked at the Play Store and see tapatalk is free. Still not interested as the mobile version works just fine.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

So for those of you that use Tapatalk because the site doesn't look right on your phone, try the mobile skin again when you have a moment. I've been working to clean it up, & I think that it's far more usable now & is displaying much better on both the iPhone & Android phone that I have sitting here in front of me.. I can always add things back in that I've removed, but for now it's looking pretty good. Feedback, as always, is welcome & appreciated.

My end goal here is that it would be really great if we could get everyone over to the mobile skin & off of Tapatalk, mainly because that's one less 3rd party plugin that we don't have to deal with.

I only like TT because it automatically lets me know someone liked or quoted a post of mine. Other than that I don't like the lay out although I haven't messed with it much....Just checked the mobile version and it does look alot better :thumbup: I'll play with it when I get this "work" stuff out of the way!!

• Like 3

What is a mobile/standard skin?

I sometimes access with my Blackberry just through the browser..is that standard skin?

The mobile skin has a blue/gray theme & is greatlly simplified to view easier on a phone. The standard skin is the normal one with red accents that you normally view through your computer's browser. The site is supposed to automatically pick up whether or not you're on a mobile device & set the skin accordingly, but I'm sure that there are instances where it fails.

Thanks. My BB uses the mobile skin...works fine for me, although a little slow...more likely to do w BB than TMC. I've rarely tried to post with it though.

Perfect, that's what we want. Some people prefer to view the site in the normal skin on a phone, but I've personally found that the mobile skin works better for those smaller screens & how easily things are viewed. It used to be a speed issue as well & still is for devices that aren't current (mobile skin is much faster on those devices), but with the speed that we're seeing out of the current generation of smartphones as well as how much faster the carrier networks are getting that's slowly becoming a non-issue.

I like that the TT app lets me see a unlimited chronological timeline of recent posts while the website and mobile skin only show the latest 5.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a timeline feature available on the mobile or full website?

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I had been using taptalk on my iphone and don't mind the new layout from the latest update at all. Actually I like it, but recently not all posts to threads have been showing up so I have been using the mobile site which I like too.

I like that the TT app lets me see a unlimited chronological timeline of recent posts while the website and mobile skin only show the latest 5. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a timeline feature available on the mobile or full website?

That's my favorite thing about it too, on the computer it usually takes me longer to browse, but posting is easier. Also you can limit it to just the unread timeline

Edited by dfarhood

I like that the TT app lets me see a unlimited chronological timeline of recent posts while the website and mobile skin only show the latest 5.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a timeline feature available on the mobile or full website?

I'm thinking that you must be talking about the recent posts on the home page?

I'm thinking that you must be talking about the recent posts on the home page?

Yes, that is what I am referring to. Is there a way to see a longer list if recent replies?

Edited by Mountainvelo

No, it's hard coded at 5 replies. I try to keep that list a little on the short side to cut down on the server load that the page as a whole generates. What you could do is use the View New Content feature, that should give you effectively the same kind of feature.

I could bump it up to 10ish replies if I take out the random links box altogether, that could be a workable tradeoff.

What you could do is use the View New Content feature, that should give you effectively the same kind of feature.

Wow, I knew with how well this site was set up that had to be somewhere but was totally missing it down at the bottom of the page, thank you.