Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me find my new boat

Slayer

As some of you have see in this thread, I've been on the lookout for a newer Malibu. After a very nice evening with my wife last night, we agreed on an upgrade and agreed on the value for the upgrade!! :woot: I'm looking for a boat that will give me a better ski wake than what I have. The current contenders are 99-2004 SSLXI, preferably a 2004, or a first gen RLXI preferably a 2005-2006 with the 2006 being ideal. Our budget is going to be, at the absolute highest, $25k but would rater spend $22-24k.

If you see anything out there, or know of anyone with something viable in that price range that's been well maintained, let me know.

The search begins.....

• Like 3

Believe 2001 was when the Sunsetter LXi got the nicer cockpit. I'd start there personally. The '01 dash setup is really nice compared to the older one.

7d7s.jpg '01 and later interior.

dash8ballbottleopener.jpg '99 and '00 cockpit

Another question. What type of speed control are you looking to use? If it's GPS-based, then any '01-'03 will be fine. If it's paddlewheel, the '03 came from the factory with a wheel. '01 and '02 are pitot-based. Engine-wise, the Monsoon 335 debuted in '03, but that one had an obnoxious tendency to rev when coming out of gear (idle-flair). Going in and out of gear to tighten lines, maneuver around docks and lifts, etc. was a pain with the original programming. The '02s for some reason were a bit cold-blooded. '01 Monsoon seems to run better than either the '02 or '03, though I believe there were updated ECM flashes for those years.

On the RLXi front, try to get one with the latest dash. The ergonomics on the '03 were weird. Seat was too low and the dash was crooked (wasn't level). I know they raised the seat for '04 but the dash still looked off to me. Maybe it's an illusion. I also prefer the '06.

'01-'04 were really Malibu's glory years IMO... The boats they made in that era are timeless in terms of lines, paint schemes, layout, etc.

I pretty much agree with all of that, UW. I didn't know about the idle-flair you mentioned. That's good information and I can see that being a royal PITA.

For me, if I go RLXI, it's going to be first gen because the second gen is not within the budget. I would prefer an 05-06, but we'll see about cost. I have a line on an 05 here a couple hours west of me, but the guys is pretty firm on his price. I need a little flexibility from him to make it worth it. That said, it's a beautiful boat in excellent condition with 175 hours on it.

I appreciate the information.

Believe 2001 was when the Sunsetter LXi got the nicer cockpit. I'd start there personally. The '01 dash setup is really nice compared to the older one.

7d7s.jpg '01 and later interior.

dash8ballbottleopener.jpg '99 and '00 cockpit

Check out the RETAIL shelf of suntan lotion products on the right side.....LOL

Carbed engine. Who wants a carb anymore?

Look closer....it's EFI. It's got the LCR vs. the 335 or 340 monsoon. If you look closely you'll see the fuel injectors on either side of the throttle body.

@old jeep.....I don't think it's low at all. I have seen these boast go for near this price for the last season or so. I've had my eyes on them for a while now.

• Like 1

Look closer....it's EFI. It's got the LCR vs. the 335 or 340 monsoon. If you look closely you'll see the fuel injectors on either side of the throttle body.

@old jeep.....I don't think it's low at all. I have seen these boast go for near this price for the last season or so. I've had my eyes on them for a while now.

Hmm. '04 must have been the first year with the LCR. I thought that came a year or so later.

My bad.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your range from your location? Or does it not matter if the boat is worth it?

Location is not as important as the condition of the boat and the right price. Sometimes, going outside of our locale is worth the time.

Here's one with a bigger motor :whistle:

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/boa/4267712438.html

Just kidding but it sure is pretty. I'll keep a more realistic eye out for you.

Thanks, jk. I love that boat! The biggest problem for me, provided I had a budget that large, is black. I can't imagine dealing with the water spot issues on a boat that's black.