Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone else getting this Add?

ahopkins22LSV

That's certainly not the BuCrew or Chrome. After a bit of looking it looks like it is caused by a program called Conduit. Uninstalling it is supposed to get rid of it. The Firefox folks were complaining about it too.

There is a fairly new product called Ad Trap that is essentially a router that you put in your network that strips out ads before they reach any PC or other device on the network, Been using one for a few months and am 100% impressed! No doubt, ads like that would not get thru

http://www.getadtrap.com/

ahopkins22LSV

That's certainly not the BuCrew or Chrome. After a bit of looking it looks like it is caused by a program called Conduit. Uninstalling it is supposed to get rid of it. The Firefox folks were complaining about it too.

The ad just showed it's face again now. I searched for this program on my program list and it is not there.

ahopkins22LSV

Yes, and I just did again too just to be sure. Restarted the browser and before I even logged back in, it showed up again. Seems to be linked suggestions from chrome. It auto links some words and everything the ad pops up different words will be auto linked. I circled them in the picture below. This has to be a setting in Chrome right?? I just can't see it anywhere.

post-23201-0-43915000-1390155293_thumb.j

It might be a new setting in Google. Maybe try looking in your Google account settings. I've removed myself completely from Google & Gmail, so I can't be of much help on where to look. But I can say that they are constantly adding "features" like this & you have to be diligent about monitoring your account to switch off the things that they add & turn on by default.

Are you using an ad blocker extension at all?

ahopkins22LSV

Alright, I think I got it. I really like Chrome but if this was just added without them prompting me and asking and it continues to happen I will be stopping my use of it very quickly. This is the first time I had anything like this though.

Here is what I found:

post-23201-0-07291200-1390157922_thumb.j

post-23201-0-58347500-1390157927_thumb.j

That doesn't look like a Chrome thing, & a quick search shows that it's a piece of malware. But yeah, my experience lately with Google & Chrome is that they've taken on some similarities to Facebook in that they implement things & default them to on without letting us know. I got fed up with it & left.

I run Chrome with a 3rd party add in called ad-block. It blocks ads form loading on any page you visit automatically. It's unreal what some pages look like after running with it. The weather channel....just has the weather! :lol:

You back to Firefox Tracie?

I run Chrome with a 3rd party add in called ad-block. It blocks ads form loading on any page you visit automatically. It's unreal what some pages look like after running with it. The weather channel....just has the weather! :lol:

You back to Firefox Tracie?

I tried Firefox on OSX & it felt clunky, not well implemented. So I've been using Safari & it just "feels" right within the os. I've got all of the cloud syncing turned off. What sent me over the edge with Chrome was when they implemented syncing browser history & (worse) usernames/passwords to our Google accounts without giving users a head's up that they were adding it. It just started sending that info to the Google account one day after an update, without any changes made by me. That kind of thing is not right, it was the kind of thing that drove me out of Facebook.

But the bigger change was that I pulled my domain out of Google apps & have it hosted on my own server, so I'm completely out of Google. Totally, completely out. I don't even use the search engine, I favor Duck Duck Go. If I could find a way to get the custom site search here out of Google, I would.