Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Truck shopping time....

cstk421

I like the idea of a a big turbo diesel. I have a 1500 12' ram now thats going back april. Been due for a new vehicle for a while and would like to have it long term. Definitely don't need that much power but hey why not ? Best bang for the buck / MPG's / comfort and luxury.

Budget 35k on the high end before negotiating

No dodge

Nothing older i would say 07 or newer 4 door

Like options leather and so forth

Don't know if I need a 4x4 with a truck like this but you guys weigh in

Ok ready go ! start spending my money !

Thx

Claudio

If you get one of the 3/4 ton diesels you mentioned you need 4x4. With the amount of torque and how light the beds are empty I need 4x4 all the time. If it has even thought about raining I need 4x4 just to pull off the shoulder and back on.

I think it's pretty simply. You want a big diesel truck, so you can choose from:

Chevy/GMC

Ford

Dodge

You don't want a Dodge, so that brings us back to GM vs. Ford. I prefer the GMC trucks over the Chevy from a looks department (and they tend to be ordered with the nicer options, so probably a little easier to find one with the options you want).

For the GM trucks, '07 was a transition year for the 2500's, so I'd stick with an '08+. I believe 2011 is the first year the diesel trucks could get the Denali package (which would get you a very nicely loaded truck), and they can be negotiated to 35k if you are willing to deal with some miles on the truck (70k-100k). Otherwise, I'd go with an '09 - '10 that is nicely loaded. The Duramax throughout these years is great.

For the Ford's, you have to watch the years. '07 had the very problematic 6.0 Powerstroke. '08 - '10 had the less crappy but still underwhelming 6.4L Powerstroke. 2011 got the updated exterior and the 6.8L Powerstroke that people finally like again. You should be able to get a 2011 in your price range.

Personally, I'd go with an '11 Sierra Denali Duramax. :)

We looked at the GM and the ford before buying the dodge. Chevy was ok, but the back seat was too small. The ford was an XL model 6.7 4x4 crew cab, vinyl seats and floors, with 90k miles<br />They wanted $34k for it.

Slight hi-jack: is it just me or do the Chevy trucks just look so damned boring from the front? They may be nice trucks with good towing creds, but give me a Ram any day for front end manly looks. Even the Fords have some stud appeal, but I just fall asleep looking at the Chevys.

• Like 2

Slight hi-jack: is it just me or do the Chevy trucks just look so damned boring from the front? They may be nice trucks with good towing creds, but give me a Ram any day for front end manly looks. Even the Fords have some stud appeal, but I just fall asleep looking at the Chevys.

The opposite could be said of Dodge, that styling doesn't appeal to me, but it is just a capable as the other two brands. Just options for us to chose from. GM has never gone outside the "classic" styling and pushed the envelope compared to Dodge or Ford no doubt. All the three brands will achieve what your looking for and a huge improvement over what you currently drive in terms of capacity and towing performance. I'd get the newest model I can for the $$, or get an older model before all the smog restrictions were added. It's laughable we argue about the torque and hp of today's trucks when they were less than half a few years ago and seemed to just perform w/o any issues.

The opposite could be said of Dodge, that styling doesn't appeal to me, but it is just a capable as the other two brands. Just options for us to chose from. GM has never gone outside the "classic" styling and pushed the envelope compared to Dodge or Ford no doubt. All the three brands will achieve what your looking for and a huge improvement over what you currently drive in terms of capacity and towing performance. I'd get the newest model I can for the $$, or get an older model before all the smog restrictions were added. It's laughable we argue about the torque and hp of today's trucks when they were less than half a few years ago and seemed to just perform w/o any issues.

HP and TQ are just like stereos, you can never have toooo much power….Does not mean you have to use it all the time, but there will be a time when you need that extra HP.

ANd just cause you got that extra HP, does not mean that you'll use more dino juice…look at the corvettes with 500+ and can get dang near 30 MPG out on the road cruising.

It is all in how you use it.

Living in Michigan I'd stick with 4x4, having 4x4 in ice and snow is a nice plus. Its just a piece of mind.

I think you won't go wrong with either truck, they both have pluses and minuses.

Ford:

Stick with the 6.7L, they have very fancy models that you can get all the bells and whistles you could imagine (I think its the King Ranch Edition). The 6.7L is very quite and has proven to be very reliable. I do like the way the DEF tanks are hidden on the Ford when compared to the GMs. Fords sit higher stock and have a solid front axle, the axle provides some additional strength up front, but you sacrifice a little in ride quality vs IFS. The Ford Cabs do seem to be taller and a bit roomier if you are going with the full 4 door models. I do like how the 250 and 350 models are significantly different than the 150.

Chevy:

Redesigned their trucks in 2007.5, they have modified their 6.6L twice with their newer body style LMM then LML, I haven't done as much research on these motors as the older LB7, LLY, and LBZ. But it seems to me that the LMM and LML are just as stout and reliable as the LBZ with more power and torque. They are coupled with an Allison tranny which a lot of haulers feel is the best tranny out there for these trucks (yes other's will disagree with this statement, but the masses talk). Their cabs and interior was redesigned and seem to be quite nice, but again cab room is not quite as big as the Fords. The IFS seems to provide a much nicer and smoother ride out of the box. Their DEF tank sits right below the passengers door which I think is uglier than hell. If you stick with a 2008-2010 (I believe) you do not have to worry about the DEF (I believe this was added in 2011 with the introduction of the LML).

Good luck and have fun ;). Go to a dealer and test drive both, see which ones you like better, then find the used one you want.

HP and TQ are just like stereos, you can never have toooo much power….Does not mean you have to use it all the time, but there will be a time when you need that extra HP.

ANd just cause you got that extra HP, does not mean that you'll use more dino juice…look at the corvettes with 500+ and can get dang near 30 MPG out on the road cruising.

It is all in how you use it.

The uses haven't changed nor how we use them. Why do I care if a vette can get 30mpg, I'm going to drive it as it was meant to be driven. I'll never understand mpg worries in a sportscar or truck, heck I've got the worst mpg truck known to man.

The uses haven't changed nor how we use them. Why do I care if a vette can get 30mpg, I'm going to drive it as it was meant to be driven. I'll never understand mpg worries in a sportscar or truck, heck I've got the worst mpg truck known to man.

MPG is the reason I bought a 1500 Avalanche instead of a 2500. I found a 2500 for similar money but knew I couldn't deal with the fuel costs.

Hell, when gas went $4+ a gallon, at that time I was driving my truck a lot as I wasn't living with my wife (g/f at the time) and no company car then. It got to the point that I was spending so much in gas that I could have leased a new econo box, paid insurance/maintenance on it and still had money to spare compared to daily driving the Avalanche. Had fuel prices and my driving mileage stayed the same, I would have bought an additional vehicle as it would have made financial sense.

A lot of people DD their trucks, so fuel mileage is a real concern. Now a lot of people trade in one for another for fuel mileage savings and lose more money than they ever save in the process. But if in the market for a truck just to get one/upgrade to a newer vehicle, it makes perfect sense that a better MPG would be a draw for any consumer.

As for MPG on a sports car, people do DD them as well. I know guys that fair weather DD their Vettes and appreciate the good mileage they get.

MPG is the reason I bought a 1500 Avalanche instead of a 2500. I found a 2500 for similar money but knew I couldn't deal with the fuel costs.

Hell, when gas went $4+ a gallon, at that time I was driving my truck a lot as I wasn't living with my wife (g/f at the time) and no company car then. It got to the point that I was spending so much in gas that I could have leased a new econo box, paid insurance/maintenance on it and still had money to spare compared to daily driving the Avalanche. Had fuel prices and my driving mileage stayed the same, I would have bought an additional vehicle as it would have made financial sense.

A lot of people DD their trucks, so fuel mileage is a real concern. Now a lot of people trade in one for another for fuel mileage savings and lose more money than they ever save in the process. But if in the market for a truck just to get one/upgrade to a newer vehicle, it makes perfect sense that a better MPG would be a draw for any consumer.

As for MPG on a sports car, people do DD them as well. I know guys that fair weather DD their Vettes and appreciate the good mileage they get.

I hear you just isn't that important to me if the vehicle does what I need. I'm heavy footed in the truck just the way it is, I get about the same mpg as an M1 tank.

You do realize there is the GMC as well, right?

Chevy isn't that bad

mm_gal_item_c2_13.img_resize.img_stage._

But the GMC is better:

2014-gmc-sierra-denali-photo-exterior-st

980x400_14PGSR00008_V5.jpg

GMC has some potential in the looks department only because they stole the look from Dodge, but I just fell asleep again looking at the picture you posted of the Chevy.

GMC has some potential in the looks department only because they stole the look from Dodge, but I just fell asleep again looking at the picture you posted of the Chevy.

Please explain how GMC stole the look from Dodge. Just because you claim it doesn't make it true. I'll just back that up with pictures:

'81 - '93 body style (miles and miles apart):

280px-89DodgeRam_F34.jpg

'94 - '01 body style (nope, not yet):

280px-Truck09.jpg

Here is a '14 Dodge:

'02 - '08 (getting closer, but still quite different):

220px-2006-2008_Dodge_Ram_1500_--_03-16-

'09+ (still not there):

280px-%2711_Ram_1500_Double_Cab_%28MIAS_

Edited by Nitrousbird

Please explain how GMC stole the look from Dodge. Just because you claim it doesn't make it true. I'll just back that up with pictures:

'81 - '93 body style (miles and miles apart):

280px-89DodgeRam_F34.jpg

'94 - '01 body style (nope, not yet):

280px-Truck09.jpg

Here is a '14 Dodge:

'02 - '08 (getting closer, but still quite different):

220px-2006-2008_Dodge_Ram_1500_--_03-16-

'09+ (still not there):

280px-%2711_Ram_1500_Double_Cab_%28MIAS_

Well duh, it's on the internet therefore it HAS to be true.

• Like 2

If we were all as rich as you, then I guess it would not matter. Must be nice!!

I know I have several regrets about getting rid of the Prius…specially when it came around to fill it up with gas.