Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speakers

llong27

So iam thinking about installing a set of Rev 8's and a set of ICON 8's on my tower. The think is that the REV's will get me the projection for wakeboarding and the ICON's will give me the closer for surfing. Has anyone configured there tower similar to this, and thoughts from others would be great.

So are you going to turn off the REV's somehow while you are surfing? Otherwise the ICON's i would assume just be overpowered by the REV's and you wouldn't notice they were there. Maybe some MB8's would be better to complement the low end. Wetsounds just needs to come out with tower subs...lol

So iam thinking about installing a set of Rev 8's and a set of ICON 8's on my tower. The think is that the REV's will get me the projection for wakeboarding and the ICON's will give me the closer for surfing. Has anyone configured there tower similar to this, and thoughts from others would be great.

Have you considered a single pair of larger 10" HLCD's powered by a single amp? Possibly a more cost effective option over 2 pair of speakers. Also, have you had the chance to demo the 8" HLCD? Nothing like previous generations of HLCD. They deliver a very smooth, balanced SQ.

If you want sound while wake boarding, I'd suggest one pair of Rev 10's, and of course turn it down for surfing. If you want to stick with 8's for both, use 4 Rev 8's, or use 4 Icon 8's for surf only.

My .02 cents is that trying to _listen_to_ music while wake boarding is silly, but it's essential while surfing.

Peter :)

• Like 3

I ran a pair of ICON8s on my last boat. They were great for surfing and could be heard clearly wakeboarding. Not as clear as HLCDs but still was audible. I have to agree with t a though, your Rev8 will over power the ICON while surfing unless you have a control knob or EQ.

llong,

I see the logic, but like many of the above comments, I would only run symmetrical tower speakers or run a single pair of the larger Rev10.

The Wetsounds Icon8 is a great surf speaker and also large enough that it can project distance, particularly with two pair that are properly powered. However, the Rev8 is not your typical HLCD, and in my opinion is just as smooth as the Icon8, yet as an HLCD the Rev8 is certainly more powerful, not to mention it will handle more power.

So there is no real valid reason to do a mix in this case. Plus, doing a mix adds complication and possibly added expense in amplification and the required control to protect the weaker speaker.

I'm putting 4 of the new Exile 9" surf speakers on my 23LSV. They arrived a couple weeks ago and the build quality is top notch. Nicer than the Icon 8s I had on my boat last year and those Icons were very nice too.

The Exile quick disconnect is superior to the Wet Sounds system IMO. Both sounds great. I just wanted a larger surf speaker with the ability to pull them off in case of travel or inclement weather.

Edited by tjklein

Might be worthwhile to focus on what the OP asked for in his first post. No reason to come on talk poorly about another product and boost the compettitor product that does not have a place in this thread.

Would be nice to see that this summer!

Thanks guys for all of your input. Currently I have one pair of pro60x's on the tower and was going to upgrade them to the rev 8 because I was told that the can size is the same as the pro 60's. Which I have hit my head on several times, and that is why didn't want to go with the rev 10. I have a brand new syn 2 amp and was going to power the rev 8's with this amp.

Then I guess maybe in the future add another pair of rev 8's and another syn 2 in the future to power them also.

That 2 chnl amp will drive 2 pair just fine, so no need to add a 2nd amp.

Yes, but it will not take maximum advantage of those 4 speakers powering them 175 RMS each. That said, from a sound vs. money standpoint the upgrade to a 2nd amp or different amp is probably not worth it.

If you do want more power to each and stick with Wetsounds amps, instead of a 2nd Syn2 you could sell your Syn2 and replace it with a single SD2. Not the most cost effective solution obviously but 310 watts RMS per speaker gives you some head room. Or save a bunch of money with an Arc KS600.2.

Yes, but it will not take maximum advantage of those 4 speakers powering them 175 RMS each. That said, from a sound vs. money standpoint the upgrade to a 2nd amp or different amp is probably not worth it.

If you do want more power to each and stick with Wetsounds amps, instead of a 2nd Syn2 you could sell your Syn2 and replace it with a single SD2. Not the most cost effective solution obviously but 310 watts RMS per speaker gives you some head room. Or save a bunch of money with an Arc KS600.2.

A syn 2 will do 200 watts to each of the 4 speakers in a 2 ohm load. That should be enough, shouldn't it?

I had a Syn 2 on 4 pro 80's back in the day and that was all it needed.

Now the SD2 or the Arc Amp, well that takes it to another level and it would be worthwhile to either have it professionally tuned and be given a quick tutotial on what distortion sounds like. Or at least buy from someone who will take the time over the phone to help you with this. That's a lot of power for those speakers!

A syn 2 will do 200 watts to each of the 4 speakers in a 2 ohm load. That should be enough, shouldn't it?

Don't forget that amps aren't rated at the 12-12.5V range your batteries sit at with the boat off, which is many times when you are cranking the tunes in a party cove situation. In that case, you want some extra overhead. Even still, I've always read the REV series are happier overpowered than under; the 8's are rated @ 200 watts RMS and the SYN2 is 350x2 @ 2ohm.

Though yes, it is probably enough. :)

I don't know if I will get the funds in the future to add another set of rev 8's, so for now it will be the syn 2 driving either the 8's and pro60's in parallel or maybe just the 8's by themselves. Then hopefully sell the 60's to help offset the cost of another pair of 8's.

Edited by llong27

What about revisiting the option of 1 set of Rev 10's. Im 6'2" and never had a problem hitting my head on them.

You could sell your pro 60's, get a syn 4 and 1 pair of Rev 10's and be done with it.

Reach out to several online retailers and see what kind of deal they will make you. Always worth a try!!!

The near field bass will be better with the 10's?

So how much is a set of pro60's worth?

And a brand new syn 2 in sealed package on box?

Edited by llong27

Need help new to Malibu. Just got a 13 VLX and want wetsounds. I want racks to work and dont want to have to make any major mods. Do I want the 2 sets of 8s, 2 sets of 10s or one of each stacked. I know all are going to sound good but what more practial when it comes to head room, board racks working as they should etc? Thanks