Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow rig - Ford F-250 or F-350?

TallRedRider

I always turn to the crew for information. It is strange that I can't find the exact answer I am looking for on one of the diesel truck forums.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new diesel. The Chevy and Dodge options are just not as comfortable for my unusual body type and size. I was so bummed when the Dodge roof rubbed the top of my noggin, I really liked them. The Chevy seat just felt weird to me, and I am still in the forgiveness process for the 1999 suburban I used to own. So I am going Ford. The 6.7 is a great engine and I don't think I will be disappointed.

Anyway...I don't want to overspend, so have looked to the gently used market. I am finding a much broader selection of used 2012-13 in the F-350 version. I don't have a 5th wheel, a 250 would do just fine for my medium sized toy hauler anyway, but I am seeing some 350's that meet my specs a little better.

I understand that the 350 has an extra rear leaf spring that does not even come into contact unless loaded heavily, so is it true that the ride wouldn't be any different? Other than having a different braking system, what else is different?

That extra spring is in the over load pack. But there is also more leafs in the main pack as well, which would make it ride stiffer. The axles will be larger in the 350. I'm pretty sure the brake system would be the same. I would test drive both on the same road so you can see the ride difference.

Typically the rear end gear ratio will be different on the 350 = worse fuel mileage. This may not always be the case but if I remember correctly my 250 had a 3.73 ratio and the 350's had 4.11. May be different on a truck by truck basis depending on how it was ordered.

my first vote would be the Dodge ram but since you say you don't fit comfortably I would elect for the F-250 both will be capable of pulling most normal size trailers if properly equipped. Do check each individual truck for rated tow capacities before you buy as they may be different gear ratio's etc.

The F-250 will ride smother and handle rough roads with less bounce.

Edited by eminent

I think the f350 would be overkill for your setup. A friend at work was looking at F250s and we found them all day for around $25-30k. Crew cab 4x4 6.7 diesel. This was about a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the f350 would be overkill for your setup. A friend at work was looking at F250s and we found them all day for around $25-30k. Crew cab 4x4 6.7 diesel. This was about a month ago.

The MSRP on a well equipped 2013 diesel crew cab is 58K or more. The local stealership has offered 'invoice pricing' which is about 4k off and then Ford can throw in a few grand if you finance with them. That takes it to about 52K. I might be able to get better on a leftover 13, but when I talked to them a few months ago, they were unlikely to budge.

The 6.7 started in 2011, so those are not likely to be in that range yet either. I generally don't want to leap into the first year production, as I do understand there were a few minor issues. If you have seen the 6.7 for 25K, then please feel free to refer me that way.

With the 6.7 and not the 6.4? If I could find an f250 with the 6.7 locally for under 30k I would buy one in a heartbeat. Already blew up a 6.4 f350 and don't wanna go down that path again.

• Like 2

Typically the rear end gear ratio will be different on the 350 = worse fuel mileage. This may not always be the case but if I remember correctly my 250 had a 3.73 ratio and the 350's had 4.11. May be different on a truck by truck basis depending on how it was ordered.

All of the new trucks at my local dealership show a 3.55 rear axle. Not sure if that is how my particular dealership orders them, but that appears to be true for my area.

The MSRP on a well equipped 2013 diesel crew cab is 58K or more. The local stealership has offered 'invoice pricing' which is about 4k off and then Ford can throw in a few grand if you finance with them. That takes it to about 52K. I might be able to get better on a leftover 13, but when I talked to them a few months ago, they were unlikely to budge.

The 6.7 started in 2011, so those are not likely to be in that range yet either. I generally don't want to leap into the first year production, as I do understand there were a few minor issues. If you have seen the 6.7 for 25K, then please feel free to refer me that way.

Beat me to it. I would be impressed to see multiple 2011 and newer f250s in that price range (with a clean title and not stupid miles). I had the first year of the 6.4 in an f350 and blew that motor up before it hit 90k. Was completely stock too.

We had seen a couple for $25k. A month ago a 2013 F-350 4x4 CC turned up at the local dealer, only 75k miles. $22k, no joke. Someone swooped in and paid cash for it after a couple days on the market.

Tall, if the best deal you cna get is 4k off a sticker approaching 60k, that's ridiculous and theres no way a "real" invoice is 54 on a 58k truck. Go on the internet and find the exact truck you want, call and say you're a cash buyer and need the bottom line on the truck because you're from out of town. Then call your local and say you'd like to buy from them but another dealership has what you want and give them the price that the other dealer would sell for. They'll likley match it. Your salesman might not be happy, but "tipping" a dealer several grand just becuas ethey're local is a tough pill. I have never bought a new car for an amount that was not at least 20% off sticker, save for one honda. In this instance, that gets under 50 easily. Heck, call Bobbylight and he may be able to hook it up and ship to you.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

Im pretty sure it is the exact same setup as the 250's rear end, gear ratio, etc. Only difference is the added springs...I think Ford calls it a "camper spring". Mine as a SRW so I cant really vouch for a DRW, might be different

Tall-

I've been shopping diesels hard last few months. If I had to buy right now it would be the Dodge... Best overall value I've seen.

Just want to ensure you understand that spring 2014, Ford has their 2015 F250/F350s coming out and with improvements to the 6.7L. I think this Powerstroke will be the first since the 7.3L that will truly put it ahead of Cummins and Duramax. Not that there is anything wrong with the 2011-2014 6.7s.... They are proving to be great diesels.... Just not better than Cummins and Duramax. What I am getting at is if I were looking at Fords, unless you can't wait or find a real screaming deal... Consider waiting a few months till 2015 F250/F350 are avail. But yes they will be pricey compared to the 2013s and 2014s you are seeing now.

Ok, specifics.... I've been shopping hard, pretty much know the price of all of them within a 2-3hr drive, so I know where they sit price wise...

What exactly are the options you need?

F250/F350, 4x4, 6.7L, automatic, crew cab, short bed, PW, PL, cloth seats?

Carpet floors a must or vinyl floors ok? Plain steel rims ok?

Manual floor shift for 4x4 ok or do you need the dash button 4x4?

Other req'd options?

I almost got. 350. Believe it or not USAA wouldn't insure a 350. A lot of companies consider them commercial.

I understand you are set on ford. But I drove all three and the duramax was the most impressive in my book followed by the ford and then the cummins. That is not what I expected but it is what I found.

Edited by UofMVLX

You will get a lot of different opinions between the big 3. Just like in boats. Get the truck that is most comfortable and attractive to you. The only difference between the 250/350 is the suspension. If you are not going to be doing any heavy hauling, the 250 will be perfectly adequate. As mentioned above, it will be more comfortable without a heavy load and will be less expensive in initial cost as well as insurance. Fuel cost will be virtually identical.

Tall-

I've been shopping diesels hard last few months. If I had to buy right now it would be the Dodge... Best overall value I've seen.

Just want to ensure you understand that spring 2014, Ford has their 2015 F250/F350s coming out and with improvements to the 6.7L. I think this Powerstroke will be the first since the 7.3L that will truly put it ahead of Cummins and Duramax. Not that there is anything wrong with the 2011-2014 6.7s.... They are proving to be great diesels.... Just not better than Cummins and Duramax. What I am getting at is if I were looking at Fords, unless you can't wait or find a real screaming deal... Consider waiting a few months till 2015 F250/F350 are avail. But yes they will be pricey compared to the 2013s and 2014s you are seeing now.

Ok, specifics.... I've been shopping hard, pretty much know the price of all of them within a 2-3hr drive, so I know where they sit price wise...

What exactly are the options you need?

F250/F350, 4x4, 6.7L, automatic, crew cab, short bed, PW, PL, cloth seats?

Carpet floors a must or vinyl floors ok? Plain steel rims ok?

Manual floor shift for 4x4 ok or do you need the dash button 4x4?

Other req'd options?

What will they change in the engine that makes it so much better? I am not sure I want the 1st truck off the lot with a lot of new changes in it. I sent you a PM.

I just purchased a 2014 King Ranch F250 with the FX4 package and 6.7 diesel. To give you a point of reference. Sticker was $65,700 and I walked out with the truck at $51,500.

The dealer is not lying to you about invoice, however what they are not telling you is that they make most of their money on the back end. That is a bigger discount to them than the "invoice."

I looked at all three brands, liked all three brands, I was just able to get the best deal on the ford and that was the truck I liked best ultimately.

Same engine internals, but the 2015 gets bigger turbo.

Unless they are changing it again my 14 has a bigger turbo than the 13. That was something my dealer pointed out to me, they indicated it was a design change to mostly address high altitude towing but wanted to make sure I realized it was there. Are they doing another different turbo?