Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chee Skins

5inthesun

I am new to Malibu just got back into wake boarding. I used to have an old ski brendella and decided to get a v-drive. I found an 05 lsv with 500 hours and bought it for a good price. I love the boat, but there is one tear in the seat that covers the cooler area. I took it off and matched the Vinyl, accept I could not find the material that has the beads on it. Malibu sent me the colors for the material but it doesn't say anything about beads etc... My question:

• Where can I get Malibu exact Vinyl including the beaded stuff? I could redo it myself if I could find it.
  • Would this Chee guy do just one skin? If so any idea how much and how long it would take? How do you contact him?

Just looking for my best options here. Anybody done just one skin? What's my next move? Cause I already took it out and off LOL.

I hate for my first post to be a request for information but I have been a lurker for a while and this forum has great information. Thanks for you help.

Welcome. Yes he would do just one skin. Actually just got half of mine re-skinned. Chee made them, took about a month but it was 9 covers (including entire sun pad). He does great work and I highly recommend him! I will PM you his contact info if you want it...

post-21756-0-71691600-1388434464_thumb.j

Welcome. Yes he would do just one skin. Actually just got half of mine re-skinned. Chee made them, took about a month but it was 9 covers (including entire sun pad). He does great work and I highly recommend him! I will PM you his contact info if you want it...

Nice,did you install the skins yourself? Looking to order here soon and it looks like the job is reasonable.

Could you please PM me Chee's contact information as well? Thanks.

So I reached out to this Chee guy about the skins. I sent over all the info on my boat and asked about a skin. His response was "You can purcahse direct in Malibu factory". I tried to look this up online and couldn't find it.

Ideas?

I just go a response from Malibu, that was fast.

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 12:52 PM

To: Subject: RE: Malibu Boats Contact Us Request

Malibu only has available vinyl going back 5 years. You would have to bring a piece of your vinyl to an upholstery shop so they can match it up for you.

If you contact a marina sometimes they can give you some names of upholstery shops they use.

Nice,did you install the skins yourself? Looking to order here soon and it looks like the job is reasonable.

No I didn't put them on myself...not enough patience or skills to pull that off!! A really good friend of mine does amazing upholstery work and his dad actually owns a upholstery shop. He also pressure steamed all my foam...looks like brand new foam. You may be able to do it yourself...but it was def a LONG day with him stretching and stapling, then me doing all the grunt work

Edited by TNWILSON
  • Like 1

I just wanted to provide an update:

My experience has been much different with regards to skins thant most I have read on this website. However, my experience is still accurate and I felt you should now in case you need some new skins soon and your boat is older than 5 years.

After my experience I have decided to just do the skins myself. I will post pic's when done. Chee is not responsive at all and when he is the responses are short and it is clear to me that he doesn't want my business, or at least not for just a few skins. Maybe if it were the entire boat it would be different. Malibu doesn't keep anything beyond five years. After several e-mails back and forth with them I came to the realization that nobody knows Sh**.

I went to downtown Dallas in the hood and found some fabric shops. I was able to match the white and the graphite. However one part of the Graphite had a different texture. I had to basically tell Malibu that I would mail in a sample of my skin so they can match it. This, even though they had the interior color codes (Really)disorganized is the best way I can put it. I also have another fabric company in FL that said I could mail them a sample and they could probably match it. Anyway. I should be able to at least get some materials in a few weeks.

I will let you know how it goes. Maybe it was the holiday but it looked like it was going to be easy and has really become aggrevating. I hope others have better experiences.

I would reach out to Chee again - maybe he misunderstood.

I can PM you his phone number if you'd like

Please PM me Chees number.

Thanks

I just wanted to provide an update:My experience has been much different with regards to skins thant most I have read on this website. However, my experience is still accurate and I felt you should now in case you need some new skins soon and your boat is older than 5 years.After my experience I have decided to just do the skins myself. I will post pic's when done. Chee is not responsive at all and when he is the responses are short and it is clear to me that he doesn't want my business, or at least not for just a few skins. Maybe if it were the entire boat it would be different. Malibu doesn't keep anything beyond five years. After several e-mails back and forth with them I came to the realization that nobody knows Sh**.I went to downtown Dallas in the hood and found some fabric shops. I was able to match the white and the graphite. However one part of the Graphite had a different texture. I had to basically tell Malibu that I would mail in a sample of my skin so they can match it. This, even though they had the interior color codes (Really)disorganized is the best way I can put it. I also have another fabric company in FL that said I could mail them a sample and they could probably match it. Anyway. I should be able to at least get some materials in a few weeks.I will let you know how it goes. Maybe it was the holiday but it looked like it was going to be easy and has really become aggrevating. I hope others have better experiences.

Chee stays very busy and could work on his customer service...but doesn't need to since he really doesn't have any direct competition. Fact is if you want factory skins after 5 years he is the one to go to...the product is top notch.

If you can get over the whole poor communication thing then get a skin from Chee. His stuff is legit.

Chee stays very busy and could work on his customer service...but doesn't need to since he really doesn't have any direct competition. Fact is if you want factory skins after 5 years he is the one to go to...the product is top notch.

If you can get over the whole poor communication thing then get a skin from Chee. His stuff is legit.

^^^ +1

My thoughts/opinions on this:

My boat was 12 years old when I contacted Chee for skins. After 2-3 back/forth info discussions, I sent the $ and waited about 2-3 weeks. Then my skins arrived, and they were exact fit, better quality than my old skins, and inexpensive (compared to estimates at some local upholstery shops). And since my intent was to do most if not all installation myself, I didn't have to take my seats or drive the boat to an upholstery shop just to get an initial estimate, leave it for installation, or go back to get the finished product. This is extremely convenient in my opinion.

So in the end:

-Exact Fit

-Great Quality

-Less expensive

-Extremely Convenient

-Saved me $ on installation

Chee's Customer Service/perfect communication was a very low priority for me. I truly believe that Chee's bread/butter in this whole escapade is the finished product. I'm just grateful that we even have someone who can reproduce skins/patters for older boats.

Again: just my own personal experience and opinion. Things may have changed since 3 years ago.

• Like 2

part of the Chee adventure is the communication thing and the risk/feeling you get when you mail him a check in full up front and then wait for the UPS truck.

It's not for everyone.

• Like 3

^^^^^^ +1 Well put Boz. You nailed it right there.

If it's not something one is comfortable with, it's a potentially bad experience. But if you can get past it, once you get the end result, it's awesome.

Edited by DIE2SURF

I appreciate the feedback. I refuse to accept poor customer service and am of the opinion that I am not going to chase anyone to give them my money. I bet I can do it just as good or better anyway. I have done upholstery work before. I was going to let him do it only because I couldn't match the material locally.

I sent samples to two different companies they said they would match it and send me the materials I need. I will post pictures to show the quality of work. Then I can only complain about bad customer service to myself... LOL.

I appreciate the feedback. I refuse to accept poor customer service and am of the opinion that I am not going to chase anyone to give them my money. I bet I can do it just as good or better anyway. I have done upholstery work before. I was going to let him do it only because I couldn't match the material locally.

I sent samples to two different companies they said they would match it and send me the materials I need. I will post pictures to show the quality of work. Then I can only complain about bad customer service to myself... LOL.

That sounds like a good plan and look forward to seeing the photos. I certainly meant no disrespect to you. I am not defending Chee as much as just saying it is.