Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Truck Help

mrnate450r

Have they fixed the problem the Ecoboost was having with high humidity creating moisture in the intercooler causing a "limp mode" effect?

Yes and it was not a common issue. It was an odd combination of temp and humidity if I recall. And it was calibration change.

• Like 2

Yes, After 3 times going into the engine for cam/lifters repair I traded it off, under 60k miles. Mine would deactivate even tow haul mode; the service mgr told me my frequent towing likely contributed to the problem, although there was no technical bulletins out.

Wonder if that just pertains to the older (08,09) 5.3 engines? You would think that would be a simple firmware fix. tow/haul = no deactivation

Yes, After 3 times going into the engine for cam/lifters repair I traded it off, under 60k miles. Mine would deactivate even tow haul mode; the service mgr told me my frequent towing likely contributed to the problem, although there was no technical bulletins out.

You man you're not supposed to tow with that truck that you paid more for because it had a towing package?? Strange....who knew?

The guy I know who smoked cams in his GM 5.3 rigs had the same problem with both vehicles and in each case, the problems occurred under 50K miles. It's kind of a disappointment now that they're actually building a good looking truck. That's a first in like 30 years.

I agree.... But I want a truck that consistently proves it's trouble free.

That is why I never buy a first year run on any new drive train (no matter what brand). First years have left me in a rental more than I can count, I had a 01 Duramax that first broke down at 600 miles (didn't get bugs worked out till 50k miles), a Dodge that spent most of its life at the dealership, and don't get me started on Ford constantly changing power plants in heavy duty trucks and when you complain to them they tell you to change gears (like that is their fix for lack of power). I miss the good old days when you could still get a big block in a truck if you didn't want a diesel. My dad had a 79 1/2 ton Ford with a 460 from the factory, that was a beast!

Edited by MLBurns

I've got a Tundra with the 5.7 and my brother has a new GMC with the 6.2L, we've both had 5.3L Chevy's and GMCs and it's no contest. I won't go back to the 5.3L. I don't have first hand knowledge, but my buddy with an '05 Xstar says his Ecoboost drives him crazy while towing his boat. He wouldn't buy another one.

Agree with the "test drive with boat in tow before buying" advice.

. Mine would deactivate even tow haul mode; the service mgr told me my frequent towing likely contributed to the problem, although there was no technical bulletins out.

I have the 6.2l . I took it out for a drive and used tow/haul. It does not drop into 4cyl. mode

I agree with the above comments on the 5.3 vs the 6.2.

I had a 5.3 with the 4 cyl drop. It would periodically drop 4 when towing on a nice straight stretch of road, but i seldom used tow/haul mode so i don't know if that was supposed to lock it out.

Mine had about 65k miles on it when i traded it in and I did not have any troubles with it. It was an 2008.

I didn't know if was an option on the 6.2L/

Edited by Soon2BV

I've got a Tundra with the 5.7 and my brother has a new GMC with the 6.2L, we've both had 5.3L Chevy's and GMCs and it's no contest. I won't go back to the 5.3L. I don't have first hand knowledge, but my buddy with an '05 Xstar says his Ecoboost drives him crazy while towing his boat. He wouldn't buy another one.

Agree with the "test drive with boat in tow before buying" advice.

I highly recommend the Tundra but that being said, people are very particular about what they like a truck to look like regardless of performance or gas mileage. Lets face it, people are pretty brand loyal with a few exceptions...

I had a 5.3L from 2006-2009.

I'd characterize is as a grocery getter V8, and light towing. 5k lb boat made this engine work hard.

Had constant overheating issues... ECM would not command the fan clutch to kick the fan into high gear when needed, so I'd see engine temps of 275+. Lots of wasted money, new parts, 2 Chevy dealers unable to figure it out. Still have a bad taste of Chevy from that experience.

Google "GM 5.3L fan clutch overheat". And you'll see is a systemic issue Chevy has ignored.

I have determined that it will be an ecoboost or a 6.2 Sierra. Going to test drive some in the next few weeks. It may come down to the better deal if they check off the same amount of boxes. On paper they both have about the same amount of likes and dislikes. One thing I hadn't considered until a side by side comparison is the gas tank size. The F150 is much larger!

One thing for you to consider on the Ecoboost. Since you're going to be tugging a 23 LSV, you want to get the max tow package. It will give you a 3.73 rear end and the highest towing capacity in the F-150 line up. You will not see the advertised fuel economy in that configuration. Keep us posted. Both rigs are super nice.

I had a Sierra Denali with the 6.2 AWD. It was a fun truck to drive. I never saw more than 11 mpg, maybe because it sounded to good and was fun to drive. Lots of transmission transfer case problems and a blown motor mount cast a shadow on its future only to have a wheel bearing fail which caused some steering problems. (3rd strike)

I bought an FX4 with ecoboost with the max tow package (but not the max tow mirrors) I get 17-19 on hwy only and 13-14 town only. It tows better than the GMC power wise but I liked the Denali suspension better.

While the mpg may not be as high as I would like, it is still a major improvement in mileage from the 6.2.

Other than oil changes, the only work done on it was to swap out the front brake pads at 20k miles to fix a brake squeak. Overall this truck is my favorite of all past trucks, diesels and gassers. Just my experience FWIW

Edited by Bozboat

Max tow package on the F150 comes with the big superduty mirrors. Love them!!

Those mirrors really make the f150 look like a truck. If I upgrade to an ecoboost I've already decided it has to be an FX4 with the towing mirrors.

Edited by Pnwrider

I wouldn't tow 11K lbs with a 1/2 ton truck if my life depended on it. The numbers are impressive I just think the practical use and application of all that towing should be left up to heavy duty vehicles. I will say though, the ford interior is really nice. Too bad you can't get the regular F150 with the 6.2

I wouldn't tow 11K lbs with a 1/2 ton truck if my life depended on it. The numbers are impressive I just think the practical use and application of all that towing should be left up to heavy duty vehicles. I will say though, the ford interior is really nice. Too bad you can't get the regular F150 with the 6.2

Have you seen the F-150 frame compared to the F-250 frame? There's not a ton of difference. It's pretty stout and I have no doubt that my ecoboost with 11,300 towing capacity would happily tow those loads. While I would agree that for someone who tows often and tows near the limit of the vehicle for long distances, the 1/2 ton may not be the vehicle for them. I otherwise see no issue with the casual towing of 11k in a 1/2 ton that's engineered to do so.

I have the 6.2 with FX4 trim and max tow. I have towed over 10k pounds with no problem. Did not feel much different from my 2008 F250.

That being said, would not want to tow that kind of weight every day with a light duty set up.

• Like 1

It is the weight of the vehicle that is the problem. I have towed 10k lbs with a 1/2 ton and it felt like that trailer was towing the truck.

And a couple hundred pounds makes a magical difference?
  • Like 2

I am just saying my 2500 weighs 10k lbs my 1500 weighed a lot less than that. It hada big tow package and it had about half of the brakes that are on the hd trucks. Between the much heavier hitch to the frame to the brakes and suspension a light duty truck is not comparable to a hd truck. 11k lbs with a light duty truck for any amount of distance would be considered dangerous by most people. 75% of tow ratings are generally what is considered safe

I am just saying my 2500 weighs 10k lbs my 1500 weighed a lot less than that. It hada big tow package and it had about half of the brakes that are on the hd trucks. Between the much heavier hitch to the frame to the brakes and suspension a light duty truck is not comparable to a hd truck. 11k lbs with a light duty truck for any amount of distance would be considered dangerous by most people. 75% of tow ratings are generally what is considered safe

"Just saying" it's 10k lbs doesn't actually make it so.

Maybe it weighs 10k when you are carrying two tons of bricks, but the curb weight of a long box crew cab duramax 4x4 is about 6600lbs. Closer to 5k than 10.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-2500hd-pickup-truck/features-specs/capabilities.config%3Dcrew_cab_long_box.html

Edited by shawndoggy