Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Truck Help

mrnate450r

Well, I will be in the market for a new truck in the next couple of months. I need something that will be capable of towing my new LSV. The only other requirement is that it has to be a gasser and has to average 15mpg(not towing). I really like the new GMC, but may have to spring for the 6.2. My other favorite is the F150 with the Ecoboost. I like their pecan color interior. I don't like the interior of the Tundra, although I haven't seen a new one and the mileage thing may play a factor. I'm looking for real world experience towing 7-8000lbs with any gasser. I know, diesel is the way to go, but I can't for several reasons. Anybody with some suggestions and positive or negative experiences please chime in.

F150 is being replaced in 11-12 months. I'd wait for the next gen.

I'm in the same boat, literally I ordered a 23 too, and I'm buying a new truck in March. I drove the new GMC with the 6.2 and that's going to be my new truck. The All Terrain package with the 6.2 is fabulous. I currently drive a 2011 FX4 and it's hands down better.

The next gen F150 is going to be really good, but they GMC (6.2 only) is really good now. Plus, the new GMC's are amazingly quiet on the road...really quiet. Check out that new All Terrain package.

Trevor

I'm in the same boat, literally I ordered a 23 too, and I'm buying a new truck in March. I drove the new GMC with the 6.2 and that's going to be my new truck. The All Terrain package with the 6.2 is fabulous. I currently drive a 2011 FX4 and it's hands down better.

The next gen F150 is going to be really good, but they GMC (6.2 only) is really good now. Plus, the new GMC's are amazingly quiet on the road...really quiet. Check out that new All Terrain package.

Trevor

How would you compare GM and Ford to Dodge in this respect?

I tow my 23 lsv with new ram hemi lifted with 35" tires. I average 15mpg doing 70/30 split hwy/city not towing. Towing I get 10 to 11 mpg through some serious mountain passes and have no problem maintaining 70mph on the steepest grades.

• Like 1

These threads are such a can of worms. Take your boat to the dealerships and do a test tow then you know first hand what each model you are thinking about will feel like with your boat in tow. If the salesman won't let you do it, just find another dealer.

Edited by Wayne

These threads are such a can of worms. Take your boat to the dealerships and do a test tow then you know first hand what each model you are thinking a out will feel like with your boat in tow. If the salesman won't let you do it, just find another dealer.

Problem is, I don't have my boat yet. I need a truck by the time it gets here. I would love to take a truck to test drive towing my boat, but it is in pieces in Tennessee.

• Like 1

Anybody do any serious towing with the new 5.3 in the Sierra or silverado? I know the 3.73 gears are an option again.

Hopefully its better than the old 5.3, I used to tow with 4.10 gears and it was still terrible.

I just bought a 14 GMC with the all terrain and 5.3 w/ 3.42 gearing. I was dead set on going with the 6.2 and 3.73 (max trailering package). The dealer let me have the truck for a weekend so that I could go and compare the GMC and the tundra back to back pulling the boat. They didn't have any 6.2's so I took the 5.3 with the promise that it was nothing like the older 5.3 (which is what I was trading in). I pulled the boat around with the gmc for about an hour and I was very impressed. While it wasn't like pulling with a diesel, it was still a huge improvement from my 2011 sierra.

My boat is an 05 VLX, so its a bit lighter than your LSV. I don't think you'll have any issues with the 5.3 and your boat, but if you want that extra power for passing and starts the 6.2 would be nice. Either way you go, do not get the 3.08 gearing.

• Like 1

I just bought a 14 GMC with the all terrain and 5.3 w/ 3.42 gearing. I was dead set on going with the 6.2 and 3.73 (max trailering package). The dealer let me have the truck for a weekend so that I could go and compare the GMC and the tundra back to back pulling the boat. They didn't have any 6.2's so I took the 5.3 with the promise that it was nothing like the older 5.3 (which is what I was trading in). I pulled the boat around with the gmc for about an hour and I was very impressed. While it wasn't like pulling with a diesel, it was still a huge improvement from my 2011 sierra.

My boat is an 05 VLX, so its a bit lighter than your LSV. I don't think you'll have any issues with the 5.3 and your boat, but if you want that extra power for passing and starts the 6.2 would be nice. Either way you go, do not get the 3.08 gearing.

I don't need to win any races, but I don't want to be screaming 4000+ rpm going up the small hills we have here in Kansas. It is hard to find the 6.2 here too. My search showed 3 within 100 miles, and they all showed "in transit". I feel like the Fords have better "deals" than GM.

Trevor

Did your 11 FX4 have the Eco, 5.0L or 6.2? If it didn't have the 6.2 you are comparing apples and oranges. I have driven both GMC and Ford 1/2 ton with 6.2L and they both do well. I currently have a 3/4 ton diesel and think my next truck will be the F250 with 6.2L. It is not my daily driver any longer and noticed very little difference in gas mileage between 1/2 and 3/4 ton but the 3/4 ton pulls so much better than 1/2 tons IMO.

I don't need to win any races, but I don't want to be screaming 4000+ rpm going up the small hills we have here in Kansas. It is hard to find the 6.2 here too. My search showed 3 within 100 miles, and they all showed "in transit". I feel like the Fords have better "deals" than GM.

How far do you usually tow? I didn't see it above anywhere.

Regularly, not that far maybe 20 miles. Occasionally, 200 miles one way to better lakes. And, maybe once or twice a season a little farther to get to Table Rock or Beaver Lake.

That's pretty close to what I do as well, it's about 30 miles to our lake.

I would suggest talking to both your GMC (or any auto brand) and Malibu dealers and see if you can get a test drive arranged. See if the Malibu dealer will let you hook up your truck and tow a LSV around. Go to your GMC dealer and pick one up for the day. Go out on the lot and find the truck you wouldn't mind buying as long as it tows to your satisfaction. The GMC dealer should have no problem doing this. Not sure how the malibu dealer will be but i would imagine they will go out of their way to make the sale. This will also give you the peace of mind that you are getting the right truck for your needs, which is important. These trucks now a days are easily 40K +!

Edited by SuperchargedC6

Your judging some of these vehicles on how you do or dont like their interiors? Wow, kinda goofy. My interior gets trashed from kids, wives, friends, hunting, fishing and camping. Why the hell would i worry about how pretty the interior is?

The reason the 6.2 is hard to find is that it wasn't available on the initial release of the 2014 model. The 4wd 5.3l is rated for 11,200lbs with the 3.73 ratio. Should easily tow any wakeboat made.

Your judging some of these vehicles on how you do or dont like their interiors? Wow, kinda goofy. My interior gets trashed from kids, wives, friends, hunting, fishing and camping. Why the hell would i worry about how pretty the interior is?

Some of us like a nice interior and take care of our trucks. That's how I've owned an almost 12 year old Avalanche for over 8 years with minimal money into it and no plans to upgrade. Why replace a truck that does its job and costs nearly nothing to keep yet can be trusted to tow across the country at a moments noticed?

Some of us like a nice interior and take care of our trucks. That's how I've owned an almost 12 year old Avalanche for over 8 years with minimal money into it and no plans to upgrade. Why replace a truck that does its job and costs nearly nothing to keep yet can be trusted to tow across the country at a moments noticed?

Better knock on some wood nitrous. I had a tranny grenade on an avalanche towing.

It's not all about being pretty. Convenience plays a factor too. I have to like looking at it as well as be user friendly.

• Like 1

So with that logic do you live in a card board box and why have one of the nicest boat interiors on the market in your choice of boats

Better knock on some wood nitrous. I had a tranny grenade on an avalanche towing.

I've had a huge aftermarket tranny cooler on this truck since I bought it. I've also reprogrammed the ECU to improve the towing shift points to my liking, but the $50 cooler is what has been keeping this tranny alive and well. I towed through the Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia mountains multiple times at temps of 90 and above with no tranny issues. I'm sure it will die eventually but 155k and going strong. I've never even changed the tranny fluid on it.

I have driven or owned the following and towed most of them...

2011 5.0 F150

2013 6.2 Ford

2011 3.5 Ecoboost F150

2009 5.3 Silverado

2012 6.2 Denali Truck

A good friend has a Ram and his thoughts are what you'll find if you search the net. The 5.7 Hemi is not a tremendous towing engine.

The GM and Ford 6.2 are comparable, but I think the new 6.2 will be better than the old one. (the numbers say so anyway)

The 5.0 Ford and the new GM 5.3 seemed very similar, which the numbers and power bands suggest as well. The 5.0 and the 5.3 will tow your boat, but it's going to work hard on the freeway. All depends on how far you're towing. The old 5.3 was a DOG.

The EcoBoost tows pretty well, but I just didn't care for it. Towing mileage was just like a V8 for the most part.

The old 6.2 was great when I towed my boat, I suspect the new 6.2 will be as well. Be patient, GM is just releasing the 6.2 motor now. In 45 days they will be all over...somewhat all over. :-)

Edited by tjklein

I had a 2008 GMC sierra 4DR 4WD with the 5.3 with my 21.5LSV. It pulled it fine, but up and down the hills of Kentucky and Tennessee it could be a struggle.

I have a 2011 GMS sierra 4DR 4WD with the 6.2 and the same boat. There is a step change in performance and i like knowing the hills are not an issue and when i need to change lanes, pass, pull into traffic, whatever, i can do it and get moving.

I know the new 5.3 is different, but when i went from my 5.3 with the 4 speed auto to the 6.2 with the 6 speed, I got the same MPGs.

And I don't know why anyone would buy a Ford, Dodge or Toyota. There is only one truck.

(shirt off, sperry's on :biggrin: )

Edited by Soon2BV