Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Truck Help

mrnate450r

Well, we pulled the trigger on a used 2013 F150 Platinum 4x4 Ecoboost. It's going to be great pulling the boat!!

Lets see that Baby!!! I have only been a ford owner for 72 Hours, Lets just say I make up stuff to do so I can drive my F150

• Like 1

Lets see that Baby!!! I have only been a ford owner for 72 Hours, Lets just say I make up stuff to do so I can drive my F150

Lol my dad does this all the time with our Avalanche. And he was the one bitching about how it would never be driven as it sucks gas. I'm glad to see so many of you buying f-150's, great trucks.

20140102_202932_zpse41d2aed.jpg

We didn't do the garage test before we brought her home. It's about 4" too long to pull straight in. Good thing we have a third car we can angle into.

• Like 2

We didn't do the garage test before we brought her home. It's about 4" too long to pull straight in. Good thing we have a third car we can angle into.

Good point. When I bought my Ram, I specifically brought it home to insure it would fit. It did but it had to be at the precise angle and pulled ALL the way forward until the tires hit the board I bolted to the floor. I would not let anyone but me put it in or take it out.

Great Looking Truck, Congrats!! Looks like you wont have to do any mods to customize it!! Looks great just like it sits!!

• Like 1

Great Looking Truck, Congrats!! Looks like you wont have to do any mods to customize it!! Looks great just like it sits!!

Tonneau cover and tint are all!!

• Like 2

I really dig the platinum. That and the metallic tri-coat white.....VERY nice. My wife had an explorer with that color and it's sweet. My F-150 is black and I'm bummed that it's not the "tuxedo black" that's metallic. That's pretty hot. I hope you enjoy the ride. I sure enjoy mine. Watch those perellis though....I've had bad luck with them.

Tonneau cover and tint are all!!

I think 35% is legal in most states, I went 20% to match the rest of the truck, It only cost me 60.00 so I will roll the dice, Thankfully I know most of the Po Po In the area they leave me alone!! In fact I text one of our finest today to let him know what i'm driving now, It's a running Joke.. Because I change cars so much...New Wheels and tires going on mine next week with a level kit!! Just sold my New stock rims and tires today!!IMG_4190_zps525ab0a8.jpg Scored these Babys from one of Crew Members!! Wheels_zps89670fd9.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

I really dig the platinum. That and the metallic tri-coat white.....VERY nice. My wife had an explorer with that color and it's sweet. My F-150 is black and I'm bummed that it's not the "tuxedo black" that's metallic. That's pretty hot. I hope you enjoy the ride. I sure enjoy mine. Watch those perellis though....I've had bad luck with them.

Apparently the previous owner had problems too. It has almost brand new michelins on it!!

What are your thought on getting a 2009 F150 Lariat with 5.4L and 3.55 rear end with 113,000 miles on it? Found a nice one not to far away for under $20k in great shape but all the Ford talk has been about the Ecoboost and 5.0. Right now I have the '01 VLX, but plan on moving up to the 23' LSV or a newer VLX this year or next and tow up to Arkansas a couple times a year.

Have the spark plugs been changed already? If not, make that part of the deal.

I haven't gotten that deep into it yet since I was unsure of the 3.55 ratio with the 5.4L being good enough for the towing. Didn't the spark plugs change in '08 to a normal one? If so, hopefully it does not have that dreaded issue. But agree that with 113k miles, that definitely needs to be done if it has not been already before I would even think about purchasing it.

Oh, yeah, the plugs may be different. I have 3.73 limited slip and 4x4 in my '05. 3.55 is only 5% different, and I pull a 32' tow behind camper with no problem. I have pulled the Malibu 80 MPH on the interstate, also with no problem. I also pull a Kubota L2800 with implements on both ends. Mild hills here, but I don't need to use the overdrive lockout unless I'm trying to "keep up" when towing the camper.

Does the truck have a factory towing package?

I would not recommend that truck to pull an LSV. VLX is about the limit I would do. The 5.4 is anemic compared to todays offerings without some sort of forced induction. I had and 08 Roushcharged and even with 550 ft lbs it delivered , the Ecoboost in stock form would eat its lunch

The shining star for the ecoboost is the fact that it builds peak torque right at the RPM range you are towing at.

If you have no hills at all to contend with I may just barely cut it, but myself personally would be willing to pay 4-5 k more for a used Eco.

And just for kicks, the plug design changed mid 08 model year.

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 2

Thanks BB, would it be any better if it did have the 3.73, or even with that it is still going to be at it's limits? The Ecoboost or a newer Tundra are the ones that I have narrowed it down to but this one did seem like a good deal.

Gear ratio will help of course.

The best thing you could do is go drive one of each, tow the boat you have. This is what I did . You will know after your test drive which the clear winner is.

2009 was the first year for the 6r80 trans. It is better for towing than the previous 4 speed, but the bad thing about the torque curve is it is not very flat. It's peaked pretty nastily around 3000-4000 rpm and falls off there after IIRC. A long flat curve is what you want for towing performance.

The 5.4 on general is plagued with oil pressure related issues. The oil pressure system is taxed due to the design of the VCT system. Any of them that have not been religiously maintained have a while gambit of different related concerns. Phasers, solenoids, broken chain guides, blown tensioners, scored cam journals and failed roller followers which in turn trashes the cam shafts. Seen em all.

I used to think the 5.4 in 3v form was a good platform also, but time has changed my mind. Given what I know and based on sheer performance alone, I would buck up and spend 25k in heart beat vs. 20k for the 5.4 platform.

Edited by Bobby Bright

The power of the ecoboost is crazy. I find that driving around town that I barely have to touch the gas and we are off like a prom dress!! I did have to put gas in it yesterday. I will love the huge gas tank when towing the boat, but filling it up is a $100+ ordeal.