Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to spell check in forums?

BillM22

What happened to the spell check option when posting in the forums? It must be there and I am just missing it but I looked at all the little icons.

This is kind of important to those of us that are spelling challenged. I looked in the Help Section and searched but I did not find anything on this topic.

Thanks

• Like 1

What happened to the spell check option when posting in the forums? It must be there and I am just missing it but I looked at all the little icons.

This is kind of important to those of us that are spelling challenged. I looked in the Help Section and searched but I did not find anything on this topic.

Thanks

A good question. This would also apply to those of us who know how to spell but can't type worth a (the stuff the Doc wants us to eat if we have C Dif).

• Like 2

There is no spell check built in, there hasn't been for a long time.

Most modern browsers have it built in, both Chrome, Safari & Firefox have had it for a long time now. Whether or not IE does, no idea. I'll continue to say it: DON'T USE IE, continuing to support that POS browser is wrong, plain & simple. (Yes, I understand that within many enterprise situations you have no choice. Fundamentally though, that doesn't make it less wrong.)

There is a plug-in for IE 8 spell check that works OK. I just "upgraded" to WIN 7 and IE 11. IE 11 has it built in.

Wakegirl, can you please explain what's so awful about IE11? In my thorough 2 minute research, I read that IE 11 is just as fast as Chrome, standards compliant and better for security and privacy concerns. I noticed my favorite non-forum websites look and work great. My forum websites though have problems remembering my login (recently fixed) and this site especially, won't support the "quote" button or cut/copy and past. Not trying to defend Microsoft, just trying to understand how things work.

Speaking purely as a web developer & putting all performance issues aside....

It would not be an exaggeration to say that IE is responsible for 99% of the problems with pages on this site rendering correctly. Why? Because MS consistently & arrogantly continues to ignore web coding standards that were put in place specifically for the purpose of having cross-browser compatibility. You wouldn't believe some of the ugly code hacks that I've seen & had to write because MS won't conform & play nice with the rest of the industry. They make it very, very difficult on developers because we write scripts that work in every other browser, and then often it needs some sort of special trick or hack to get it working in IE. It's ridiculous how hard MS makes it, and it's complely, utterly needless. That kind of practice, IMO, should absolutely not be supported.

Don't get me wrong, MS makes some great products, but IE is not one of them. Go ask any software developer for any piece of web software that isn't written for MS & they'll tell you that IE should die, & the developers taken out & publicly tarred & feathered before the world. If you have a choice, please please please use something, anything else.

WakeGirl, tell us what you really think....just joking

I am using firefox. I will do some searching to see how to turn spell check on in the firefox settings.

I checked the FF settings and "check spelling as I type" is on. Spell check works in applications (search box & other forums) and underlines in red.

I will keep using my simple spell check work around. I open a new email, type a reply to the forum then copy + paste into the crew. 1 or 2 extra steps but it works and everyone does not know if you have a third grade spelling level. What can I say math and science are my game.