Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EcoDiesel > EcoBoost

Big Jay D

Heat,cylinder loads, more fuel to perform like larger cubic inches, as a old gear head and racer I still believe that running the engine harder to make the same power = less engine life. Gas or diesel, look how long the 7.3 "s are lasting now.

Edited by MLBurns

7.3 is a dog though. No power. No economy. Sure it will last forever it's super old. Loud, lazy, and slow. It's these old diesels that have tainted Americans views of a diesels potential.

The new diesels do have more problems but higher injector pressures and higher rpms and emissions is usually the root issue.

• Like 1

7.3 is a dog though. No power. No economy. Sure it will last forever it's super old. Loud, lazy, and slow. It's these old diesels that have tainted Americans views of a diesels potential.

The new diesels do have more problems but higher injector pressures and higher rpms and emissions is usually the root issue.

I agree that the 7.3 is pretty down on power compared to the rigs of today. However, it's the 7.3 and 2V Cummins that are responsible for giving the diesel a second chance here and started the hp/tq wars in the HD pickup segment. I bet 90% of all HD pickups made have diesels in them now thanks to those two old girls. This segment worships long duty cycles, mileage, and towing ability. Not sure they care much about noise and smell. (Some even like it!!) Also not sure why you think the 7.3 has no economy. My 7.3 could get 20+mpg on the highway and averaged 16mpg. Pretty much same (if not better) mileage that todays diesels get.

You can thank General Motors for the attempting to kill the diesel in America (I actually think they pretty much succeeded) with the famous Olds 350 gas to diesel conversion motor. I can remember my buddies dad buying one on those engines in some kind of 1980's Oldsmolbuick and it made it all the way from the dealer to his house before the rear main seal let loose in his driveway. What a smoking POS. :lol: Sometimes I wonder if they did it on purpose?!

Edited by Tims

One of the biggest deterrents to getting diesels here is the emissions standards. I do not believe europe has the stringent diesel standards we do and that is where most of the diesel tech comes from for smaller vehicles. No one is too crazy about adapting those engines for the US market. GM is trying it again with the Chevy Cruze, interesting to see how that plays out. But built right, a small diesel can last as long as a large one.

I agree that the 7.3 is pretty down on power compared to the rigs of today. However, it's the 7.3 and 2V Cummins that are responsible for giving the diesel a second chance here and started the hp/tq wars in the HD pickup segment. I bet 90% of all HD pickups made have diesels in them now thanks to those two old girls. This segment worships long duty cycles, mileage, and towing ability. Not sure they care much about noise and smell. (Some even like it!!) Also not sure why you think the 7.3 has no economy. My 7.3 could get 20+mpg on the highway and averaged 16mpg. Pretty much same (if not better) mileage that todays diesels get.

You can thank General Motors for the attempting to kill the diesel in America (I actually think they pretty much succeeded) with the famous Olds 350 gas to diesel conversion motor. I can remember my buddies dad buying one on those engines in some kind of 1980's Oldsmolbuick and it made it all the way from the dealer to his house before the rear main seal let loose in his driveway. What a smoking POS. :lol:Sometimes I wonder if they did it on purpose?!

And GM wonders why there is a perception about their cars..... But lol given that the diesel makeup of GM during those years was so minimal kinda makes you wonder....then again that's giving them too much credit.

I heart 7.3's

I heart 496.... just sayn' :)

I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0.

Got it last March and currently have about 25k on it.

Highway at anything below 70, I get 20+.

Once I hit 70 and above, it drops to 17-19mpg. Which I fully understand, its like a brick with wheels, not the most aerodynamic.

Towing the boat/trailer/flatbed (loaded), get anywhere from 12-18. lowest was 12.5mpg with a flatbed loaded with 8k lbs of equipment on a 16' trailer.

The power is amazing though, so much there at anytime.

Our boat launch gets a little crazy when the drain our lake. Last year (in the 99 F150), I had to have a friend hook up to the truck to get the boat out.

This year, no problemo.

Amazing difference from the 5.4 to the 5.0.

A couple of my friends have the new tundra and a titan. Mines faster.

• Like 1

In sedans the Germans will be coming with MB, BMW and Audi bringing them in their line up over the next few years. Now that the emission standards are set the R&D investment will payoff. The new 3 series BMW will get 45 mpg with a turbo 4 cyl. The European BMW 6 cylinder comes with 1, 2 or 3 turbos, your choice, giving you all the acceleration and power you would want.

Dodge wins a fuel mileage battle? That should be front page news in 127 font on a special edition! All Dodges traditionally get feces filled mileage compared to their competitors. And I had been a Dodge fan for most of my life . . . . unitl I discovered rice.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonder why the chart doesn't have Ford's 6.2l V8 on it for comparison?

One of our contract companies recently changed the fleet trucks to the new 6.2 Ford, most of the crews now have to fill up daily depending how far they drive. They used to go 3 days on a tank with the old trucks. Don't know what they are getting for mileage, just know they are not happy at all. I bet they are missing the Powerstrokes they traded in on the new trucks.

One of our contract companies recently changed the fleet trucks to the new 6.2 Ford, most of the crews now have to fill up daily depending how far they drive. They used to go 3 days on a tank with the old trucks. Don't know what they are getting for mileage, just know they are not happy at all. I bet they are missing the Powerstrokes they traded in on the new trucks.

Wow, that definitely answers my question then. Thanks, will not give it another look. I was playing on the Ford site building a truck and saw it as an engine option.

I've been shopping diesels hard last 30 days.

First- everybody tracking the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyons will have avail 4 cyl Duramax next yr? Kinda neat, but doesn't help me with a 8-9k tow.

2015 6.7 Powerstroke gets even bigger air charger and it supposed to up MPGs, HP and TQ. Avail spring 2014.

You can buy 2013 Ram crew 4x4, diesel, Cruise, PL, PW, AC, cloth seats with backup camera all day for 40-41k. Not much else though, vinyl floors and fleet steel rims.

^^^ same F250 equipped like this costs about $42.

2014s cost about 3k more than these.

2015 F250 equipped like this ^^^ will be $47ish.

Add leather and they go up 8-10k$ for all of them.

2015 Chevys will be avail spring 2014. They cost about the same as the Fords, completely redesigned body, chassis, suspension and interior. No changes to Duramax drivetrain.

Diesels are hard to get dealers to barter much. They stick pretty close to MSRP, so there is less to play with. Pretty much all they want to do is apply the few rebates only..... Unless there is something I'm missing.

Edited by nyryan2001

I've been shopping diesels hard last 30 days.

First- everybody tracking the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyons will have avail 4 cyl Duramax next yr? Kinda neat, but doesn't help me with a 8-9k tow.

2015 6.7 Powerstroke gets even bigger air charger and it supposed to up MPGs, HP and TQ. Avail spring 2014.

You can buy 2013 Ram crew 4x4, diesel, Cruise, PL, PW, AC, cloth seats with backup camera all day for 40-41k. Not much else though, vinyl floors and fleet steel rims.

^^^ same F250 equipped like this costs about $42.

2014s cost about 3k more than these.

2015 F250 equipped like this ^^^ will be $47ish.

Add leather and they go up 8-10k$ for all of them.

2015 Chevys will be avail spring 2014. They cost about the same as the Fords, completely redesigned body, chassis, suspension and interior. No changes to Duramax drivetrain.

Diesels are hard to get dealers to barter much. They stick pretty close to MSRP, so there is less to play with. Pretty much all they want to do is apply the few rebates only..... Unless there is something I'm missing.

Did you look at any rice burners?

Datsun, I mean Nissan is introducing a 5.0 liter Cummings in the redesigned Titan P/U in 2015. My 04 Titan is still a nice and tight tow vehicle even after 140,000 miles. Perhaps 40,000 of that towing. All my brothers use it for towing between NJ and upstate NY too.

• Like 1

I am talking diesel for a 9k lb boat tow. I have a 5.7 Tundra now. Terrific truck, but this is a HEaVY tow.

What rice burners could do this??!

I don't know. You gave a good review of US trucks, I was wondering if you had similar info on the Jap trucks.

Edited by Baddog