Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to clean the engine bay & bilge

The engine bay and bilge area is pretty gross on our boat. Looks like some mold and mildew in there from the standing water in the bilge, being on the water all summer. What's a good way to clean it out? I'm assuming you can't power wash it with the electronics in there, any other ideas on how to get a good cleaning in there, other than getting in there with a toothbrush and going to town?

greased lightning works ok. Fill the bilge with water (ok, not full) dump some in there, drive around a bit to slosh around, drain. May need to repeat but occasional bilge baths can keep it clean

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

I have always put a few squirts of dish soap in the bilge, water in there sloshing around under way keeps

everything nice and clean. Try this first and see b4 the big pwr wash.

• Like 3

I have always put a few squirts of dish soap in the bilge, water in there sloshing around under way keeps

:plus1: and 50/50 vinegar and water has worked for me to clean ballast hoses, fuel lines, etc.

ahopkins22LSV

:plus1:

:plus1: and 50/50 vinegar and water has worked for me to clean ballast hoses, fuel lines, etc.

:plus1: Also works for cleaning out coffee makers :whistle:

Start by spraying, wiping, and rinsing with this: http://www.easyboatcare.com/marine-greze-off-quart.html

After that, put the plug in, fill with some hose water, then dump about a quart of this in: http://www.easyboatcare.com/starbrite-bilge-cleaner.html

Drive around then drain. The Starbrite Blige Cleaner also smells nice; it is a soap.

I have had an oil disaster in my bilge and these products have helped a lot. I haven't cured my disaster yet but these have made a very noticeable improvement.

For normal maintenance I use a bit of dish soap or some other mild soap in the bildge during operation. For a deep cleaning a brush may be required to get the funk loose so it will all come out. A toilet bowl brush or back scrubber (think on a stick) is a good option for getting into tight spaces and not busting your knuckles.

i have been using degreaser from the grocery store - there is some orange and other bases (i think my last one was Mr Clean).

I spray it around, and then dump most of the bottle in. Then, like others have said, I drive around and let it slosh around and then open the drain holes.

For the BILGE AREA... I use about a cup of Dawn Dish Detergent and a 5 gallon bucket of hot water in bilge...drive around and let is slosh all over for a while...when it is all emulsified, open the back drain and let it go back in the 5 gallon bucket...On land of course....and that way you don't pollute your waterway...do this at the beginning and end of the season, coupled with about a cup full in the bilge every other week during the season, and you will be pretty much spotless from this point on....

For the Engine itself and Transmission...I use a rag and some WD-40....works like a charm to keep the motor shiny

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • Like 2

My boat was nasty and stank of fuels and oil when I got. Dawn soap, water and a toilet scrub brush where I could reach got her real purty and smells nice. I busted a bar of lava soap in two and threw in back and the other in the ski locker and it kept her nice all season long. .

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas, will be spending some quality time getting the hidden areas of the boat clean in the Spring! She's all wrapped up for winter and in storage for now.

One hidden area will be the internals of the bilge pump. You will want to take off the top and clean it out. I use dish soap & water as a cleaner, keeps it spotless. Bleach will kill the mold, make sure you rinse afterwards. Other products that work include toilet bowl cleaner, bleche-white, Zep cleaners from Home Depot.

I put a urinal cake in there at the start of the season...believe it or not, it actually works fairly well!

If I did that I would have to add a Hanoi Jane urinal sticker. (Some of y'all will have to Google that one).
  • Like 3

I too have been putting Dawn in my Bu prior to every outing. but I really like the idea of doing the 5 gallons of hot water trick at the end or beginning of season.

The lake we frequent is alkaline so that means flushing and washing the boat after every outing. I flush with salt away, and catch the bubbly liquid from the exhaust as it comes out in a 5 gallon bucket, then dump that bucket in my bilge. The boat gets stored a mile or so away and there's a pretty steep hill where I park for a minute or two till all of the water runs out.

...and there's a pretty steep hill where I park for a minute or two till all of the water runs out.

I pull the transom plug every time I trailer, so I enjoy doing this. I add the occasional detergent and hot water shower and the bilge stays dry and clean.

• 10 months later...

I put a urinal cake in there at the start of the season...believe it or not, it actually works fairly well!

Where does one get a urinal cake, actually? Lmao