Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a new system

wakebrdr94

So hopefully the boat sells tonight and I am already looking for a system for the next one. Rev 10s are too big for my liking, so I was considering either two pairs of rev 8s or the exile 9s. Going to go with in boats from the factory, add tower and sub myself (done it before). I saw this on exiles site http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/tower-speakers/wake/xm9-wake-package-2.html

And just wanted to make sure that amp would get the job done for the towers. Is that a fair price? Also looking to do a zld and Bluetooth. I've demoed a bunch of malibu's with their Bluetooth, never had an issue, and the wetsounds unit seems to have range issues from what I've read. I made my own for my current boat an it works like a champ (thanks Martinarcher)

I'll probably run a 12l7 as the sub as I've been happy with the solo baric in the last two boats

I'm open to all advice

Edited by wakebrdr94

Is hearing the music @ 80 feet off that important to you? I like the idea of exiles new surf speakers. http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/tower-speakers/surf/sxt-surf-package-2.html and also I think you can get more bang for your buck on the in boat speakers by doing them yourself, just get Malibu to prewire everything then plug and play the speakers and amp.

• Like 1

Is hearing the music @ 80 feet off that important to you? I like the idea of exiles new surf speakers. http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/tower-speakers/surf/sxt-surf-package-2.html and also I think you can get more bang for your buck on the in boat speakers by doing them yourself, just get Malibu to prewire everything then plug and play the speakers and amp.

Is that an option to have them run just the wiring with no speakers? They no longer offer sound pack 1, 2, and 3. It's all or none now (including the head unit for in boat speakers).

Take a look at the trend....several of the Exile XM-9 owners have made the move to the new SXT-9 "surf speaker"....got to be something there worth looking into!

Also - lot of folks using the Millenia Bluetooth piece that you can get from crutchfield.

Good luck and throw some pic's up when you are done!

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with my dealer, he said there are sound pack options still

Sound pack 1 - black box with 4 inboat speakers

Sound pack two - adds 4 more in boat speakers

Sound pack 3 - 2 pair of Titan alpha speakers and can choose to have wetsounds cones

Sub is separate all together. This was in regards to a 2014 vlx

FYI

Hearing at 80' isn't a must, but at least the option is there. Like I said, I may go wetsounds as well. I don't really have a shop near by that I can hear the two

Edited by wakebrdr94

I just got off the phone with my dealer, he said there are sound pack options still

Sound pack 1 - black box with 4 inboat speakers

Sound pack two - adds 4 more in boat speakers

Sound pack 3 - 2 pair of Titan alpha speakers and can choose to have wetsounds cones

Sub is separate all together. This was in regards to a 2014 vlx

FYI

Hearing at 80' isn't a must, but at least the option is there. Like I said, I may go wetsounds as well. I don't really have a shop near by that I can hear the two

Good to see Malibu has kept the options for some of their boats... Just ordered a 23LSV and you can't order sound pack 1, 2, and 3 anymore. It's either the wake 23lsv pack (8 in boats , amp, and head unit) or nothing (no head unit either). This means to get maliview integration you have to order it all. The sub and tower speakers are still separate options.

Back to your topic, I have heard good things about the new exile surf speakers. I am sure you would be able to hear them at 80 feet. Just not as clear as a cone driver.

I know you said no to the rev10s, but you may find that one pair of rev10s takes up less room than two pair of smaller speakers. And if you power them right one pair can totally get the job done for 98% of people.

I know you said no to the rev10s, but you may find that one pair of rev10s takes up less room than two pair of smaller speakers. And if you power them right one pair can totally get the job done for 98% of people.

I agree with you, but something does not look right with only one pair of speakers on the tower IMO. Plus I'll be doing the Rgb rings and lights as I did on this boat, something more symmetrical looking with the two pair.

I hear ya. I run two pair. Just throwing it out there. From a volume perspective, i'd have to think one pair would get just as loud as your skylons.

I do think fman's looks pretty good tho.

13_VLX_interior_zps48e9963c.jpg

vs

null_zpsae5f6742.jpg?871

Edited by shawndoggy

What is the difference in a "surf speaker" and the others? I guess better worded...what makes a "surf speaker" different than all other tower speakers ie rev 10's

Edited by TNWILSON

What is the difference in a "surf speaker" and the others? I guess better worded...what is different about a "surf speaker" than all other tower speakers ie rev 10's

Rev10s are cone drivers so they are specifically designed to be clear and loud for wake boarding distances. Surf speakers are not cone drivers so they won't be as clear at wake boarding distances. They are tuned for better sound close to the boat. They still can get loud enough to be heard at 80 feet plus, they just won't be as clear.

Exactly. Surf speakers are for, well, surfing. Amazing sound quality in the boat and near it. 2 pair will get you to 80 feet, but will not be as loud as an HLCD speaker. The HLCD will be louder at 80 feet but at the sacrifice of harshness inside the boat.

Edited by wakesetter8796

A Pair of XM 9's Will fit nicely, or the new surf as well, I have heard the surf XST-9's And they are a great option, I still prefer the XM'9's but it's close, Here a pic of three, Most go with the 2 on each side, 51926_10200895658291884_1176893782_o_zpsseat019_zps8840c376.jpg

• Like 1