Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Frame Recall

Levi900RR

I would be careful stating this advice over the internet. Someone takes your word for gospel, pushes their belt to long and has a failure. Costly mistake.

If your the proud owner of some VW/ Audi vehicles the timing belt could fail BEFORE the published service interval. Wonderful huh?

Did I recommend people not to replace there timing belt? I think you need to re-read the post, all I stated was people are running at over 160k miles on the same belt with no issues. I personally believe this might be pre-mature for replacement. And unfortunately there are many items that every manufacturer "suggests" you replace when its really not needed.

Edited by Fman

Did I recommend people not to replace there timing belt? I think you need to re-read the post, all I stated was people are running at over 160k miles on the same belt with no issues. I personally believe this might be pre-mature for replacement. And unfortunately there are many items that every manufacturer "suggests" you replace when its really not needed.

Basically you suggested that Toyota was intentionally misleading the public by specifiing premature timing belt changes based in the fact that a few people get away with putting 160k on their timing belt. I read you post perfectly.

Would you suggest that people change the battery in their smoke detector evey 1.5 years instead of yearly because batteries sometimes last longer? Or would you err in the side of caution because your a professional and you understand the consequences?

Oil and antifreeze leaks can cause premature failure of the timing belt and therefore cam and crank seals as well as water pumps should be changed a long with the tbelt. Many people dont even realize there's a leak..... Believe me it's worth following the service interval.

So yes I respectfully disagree with your opinion that it's ok to stretch timing belt intervals.

Edited by Ruffdog

If someone reads my post and does not change there timing belt at 90k miles that would be there choice. If you do some research on people performing this replacement on there own nobody seems to see any excessive wear issues on the belt when visually inspected at 100k-120k miles. This does not suggest a belt has never broke at over 90k miles before. For my vehicle I will more than likely hold off until at least 100k miles.

And yes, always change your batteries once a year in your smoke detectors even if they are hard wired.

Are you a mechanic for Toyota? Maybe you can answer my question about the 4.7l timing belt. If it breaks you will not bend any valves if you try and start it up. I know on other vehicles it causes serious damage when a belt breaks and you crank over the motor. I have been told this is not the case with the 4.7l V8? Any truth to this?

fman if it's an interference engine and your belt breaks, your motor's gonna be toast whether you try to start it up or not. belt breaks and mayhem ensues immediately. or not, if noninterference.

If someone reads my post and does not change there timing belt at 90k miles that would be there choice. If you do some research on people performing this replacement on there own nobody seems to see any excessive wear issues on the belt when visually inspected at 100k-120k miles. This does not suggest a belt has never broke at over 90k miles before. For my vehicle I will more than likely hold off until at least 100k miles.

And yes, always change your batteries once a year in your smoke detectors even if they are hard wired.

Are you a mechanic for Toyota? Maybe you can answer my question about the 4.7l timing belt. If it breaks you will not bend any valves if you try and start it up. I know on other vehicles it causes serious damage when a belt breaks and you crank over the motor. I have been told this is not the case with the 4.7l V8? Any truth to this?

It's easy enough to look up. Interference or not the service interval should be followed in order to avoid being stranded and the tow bill that follows. I teach automotive technology and I am a technician yes.

Toyota

TOYOTA

1.5L {53}

1.6L {53}

1.8L Diesel Replace Every 60,000 Miles

1.8L Gasoline {53}

2.0L {53}

2.2L Diesel Replace Every 60,000 Miles

2.2L Gasoline {53}

2.4L Diesel Replace Every 100,000 Miles

2.5L {37}

2.8L {37}

3.0L Inline 6 {53}

3.0L V6 {53}

3.3L Replace Every 90,000 Miles Or 108 Months

3.4L {53}

4.7L (1998-2003) Replace Every 90,000 Miles Or 72 Months

4.7L (2004-09) Replace Every 90,000 Miles Or 108 Months

Interference/non-interference

1.5L (1A-C, 3A-C & 3E) Interference

1.5L (3E-E & 5E-FE) Free-Wheeling

1.6L DOHC (4A-F & 4A-FE) Interference

1.6L DOHC (4A-GE & 4A-GZE) Free-Wheeling

1.6L SOHC Free-Wheeling

1.8L Diesel Interference

1.8L DOHC Gasoline Interference

2.0L Free-Wheeling

2.2L Diesel Interference

2.2L Gasoline Free-Wheeling

2.4L Diesel Interference

2.5L Free-Wheeling

2.8L Free-Wheeling

3.0L Inline 6 (Except 1998 2JZ-GE) Free-Wheeling

3.0L Inline 6 VVT-i (1998 2JZ-GE) Interference

3.0L V6 Free-Wheeling

3.3L V6 Free-Wheeling

3.4L Free-Wheeling

4.7L Interference

VVT-i - Variable Valve Timing With Intelligence

I did some poking around to see if it was common practice to push a tundra past the tbelt service interval. This is the first place I looked and didn't think it necessary to look further.

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/4-7-liter-i-force-v8/2269-90k-service-timing-belt-replacment-nessary-3.html

Edited by Ruffdog

I happen to have an 08 with 60K sitting in the driveway. Not for sale though.

Same thing when I bought it in 2010. Only one 08 V10 for sale in the country. Had to have it shipped from Washington to NC.

I wanted to thank RuffDog for the information on the 4.7L engine being an interference motor, I also appreciate the article he linked. I will more than likely be doing a timing belt change in the next few months. I guess it pays to shop around, I called three different dealers and got three different prices for a timing belt and water pump replacement. The highest quote I got was $1145, the lowest was $800. A pretty large price swing between different dealers. I am also considering doing it myself, I can get all the parts for under $300. Found a couple videos on youtube, it does not look like anything too difficult for a weekend warrior mechanic.

I am going to try and leave them alone... I was thinking about swinging over on Wednesday or Thursday to take a peak.

Don't forget the power of beer...maybe a Tuesday afternoon drive-by :)

• Like 2

Don't forget the power of beer...maybe a Tuesday afternoon drive-by :)

I often emply this tactic....asking the service guys what time they get off work and what they like to drink. A 12 pack of their choice, $2 worth of ice and a $4 7-11 styrofoam cooler left outside the service bay 5 minutes before closing time will get you remembered.

Many times I have shown up at the dealer in the middle of the summer with an issue and somehow the work gets done that day.

I've got a '13 Tacoma as a loaner... They just called me. They guy who was going to swap my frame had a family emergency and needs the week off. They aren't even going to look at my truck 'till next week. They said I can keep the Tacoma.

I'd rather rack the miles up on their truck than mine.

• Like 1