Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Frame Recall

Levi900RR

Anyone have theirs replaced? I'm having my Tundra inspected next Wednesday and everything I've read online leads me to believe they'll have to replace mine. The service bulletin reads that if there is a rust hole larger than 10mm the frame must be replaced. I poked around under my truck last night with a flashlight and the claw of my 16oz Estwing and found this right where my frame curves up in the front:

IMG_1297.jpg

I'm going to push hard for a frame replacement. My truck is in great shape otherwise and if they don't replace it I'm not sure if it will pass inspection.

Unless your tech is blind, they are going to replace that. I don't see a way around that.

Off topic:

Why do they still salt the roads over there? I lived in Klamath Falls for 4 years where snow was on the ground from November to April some years and we got by fine without Salt. Don't get it. I am sure there's a good reason right?

Edited by Ruffdog

Anyone have theirs replaced? I'm having my Tundra inspected next Wednesday and everything I've read online leads me to believe they'll have to replace mine. The service bulletin reads that if there is a rust hole larger than 10mm the frame must be replaced. I poked around under my truck last night with a flashlight and the claw of my 16oz Estwing and found this right where my frame curves up in the front:

IMG_1297.jpg

I'm going to push hard for a frame replacement. My truck is in great shape otherwise and if they don't replace it I'm not sure if it will pass inspection.

Holy Cow !! :shocked:

Check out TTORA.com there is a big thread in the Tacoma's being recalled somewhere there. If I recall correctly some of the guys that had their trucks bought back received much more than top blue book value.

The dark of the night and flashlight illumination help paint the apporpriate picture. That thing is gnarly. Make sure you post up a pic of the new frame that point once you get it.

I know dude, I was blown away when I saw that...

The funny thing is that not than twenty minutes ago I was on my way to work on a section of freeway that makes my Tundra bounce in such a way that the frame is flexing right the middle.You can look in rear view mirror and see the bed flexing away from the cab at a pretty fast pace. I was thinking I hope there are no weak spots in the frame.

The dark of the night and flashlight illumination help paint the apporpriate picture. That thing is gnarly. Make sure you post up a pic of the new frame that point once you get it.

I will for sure, I get it inspected next Wednesday and if it fails (needs new frame) I get a rental car for 3 days while they disassemble the thing and build it back up on the new frame. I'm planning on having them replace a bunch of parts while its apart as you dont pay any labor for the installs.

New shocks

Timing belt

water pump

Exhaust

The other cool thing is they replace almost all the bushings as they usually disintegrate during diss-assembly. This thing has 85K miles on it and this should give me another 10 year of life.

The funny thing is that not than twenty minutes ago I was on my way to work on a section of freeway that makes my Tundra bounce in such a way that the frame is flexing right the middle.You can look in rear view mirror and see the bed flexing away from the cab at a pretty fast pace. I was thinking I hope there are no weak spots in the frame.

What year is yours? New GEN?

When you say frame replacement, are you talking about the whole frame....or just the effected part(s). Seems like a massive job to replace the frame on a truck.

BTW...I have an '02 Sequoia...do you know if I should be expecting something in the mail from Toyota? I don't drive the truck much, maybe 100 miles a month, but I huess I should go out there and check out the frame?

Yeah its a newer one, 07, with 165k.

You should be set then

When you say frame replacement, are you talking about the whole frame....or just the effected part(s). Seems like a massive job to replace the frame on a truck.

BTW...I have an '02 Sequoia...do you know if I should be expecting something in the mail from Toyota? I don't drive the truck much, maybe 100 miles a month, but I huess I should go out there and check out the frame?

Yeah man, 01-03 Tundra Sequoia is a different campaign but they were recalled. Google Toyota frame recall and you'll find where you can put in your VIN to see if you qualify.

Yep, it was there.

But it states thats its for vehicles in cold climate, high salt use areas, which I am not. I'll crawl around undedr there when I get home, anyway. With 160K on the odometer, the thing runs like a swiss watch, but I am sure I could use some bushings and shocks, as the ride is not what it used to be.

Curious as to why I didn't get notified int he mail, though.

Yep, it was there.

But it states thats its for vehicles in cold climate, high salt use areas, which I am not. I'll crawl around undedr there when I get home, anyway. With 160K on the odometer, the thing runs like a swiss watch, but I am sure I could use some bushings and shocks, as the ride is not what it used to be.

Curious as to why I didn't get notified int he mail, though.

I think if you're not registered in the "cold climate" states they don't reach out to you.

So what the heck does Toyota make frames out of....tissue paper? Not wanting to start any brand debate but man, I have a 11 and 42 year old Ford and they look pretty darn good in spite of the salted roads. When the Toyota dealership did the frame recall on the Tacomas a few years ago there was a TON of them that were sitting in the dealership lot.

One thing you have to give Toyota is their willingness to admit when they are wrong and take responsibility for their issues. That's pretty awesome in my book.

I have an 07 Tundra with 350,000 Kms on it, just called the dealer and they informed that it is under the recall. On a side note I have owned every brand of truck manufacture and my Yota is the best truck ever! runs as strong as it did the first day I bought it.

A co-worker of mine several years ago got his '99 Tacoma recalled. He only had like 50k miles on it. Though his was 3 years older than my Avalanche it had less miles. We looked underneath each and it was a night and day difference. Mine was solid everywhere with only some surface rust. We were poking holes through his everywhere. Even now, with mine have over 3x the mileage and many years older, it is still is far better condition.

Back then Toyota was paying a fortune on the buy backs. It was KBB retail value + a couple grand more IIRC. They even gave a bigger bump if you bought another new Toyota.

Park that thing, no way I would drive it around the block. What is a frame replacement? My reference is the Fast and Loud TV Show where they rebuild and entire car on a new frame?

or are they going to cut and weld sections on your truck without taking it all apart?

I think I would trade it in on a new one.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1

Holy schnikes Levi, I'm with Boz. I would be afraid to drop that thing off to get it fixed.

And I'm also with Martin, what the heck is going on with Toyota? That's just....wow....I don't have the words. That's the kind of thing that would take me away from a brand forever.

I know its off topic but no one answered. Why do they salt the roads on the east coast? Other parts of the world get just as much snow and don't do it? Maybe I am wrong, don't know. :dontknow: