Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pros and cons of 2 vs 1 pair of tower speakers

UofM_MXZ

I am looking to replace my towers with rev 10's and I am not sure sound wise/looks wise which would be better or if two is needed. I like the look of the 2 sets of rev 10's but also since they are large, I wonder how much they will get in the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by UofMVLX

They don't really get in the way much on a G3 tower, not like on an alpha z where they hang down quite a bit. Sound wise they are going to be louder with 2 pair obviously, they also look better. I'm currently running one pair and they are plenty loud for everything we do.

I have two pair. They can and will get very loud clear sound to a wakeboarder if powered right.

When cranking to get sound to that rider, on a forward oriented tower like the G3, they will be incredibly loud in the cabin, especially in the lower position. To the point that I'd think there's a pretty good chance of hearing damage. If you are going to need people to sit behind the speakers (i.e. the back seat), keep in mind that those folks are sitting right in front of a flamethrower of sound.

They sound good in the boat, so higher volumes ARE tolerable, but keep in mind that two pair are really really friggin loud.

• Like 1

Better yet, run 3 pair like I do. But......I'm running a Titan 3 tower, which puts the speakers up higher and farther back than the G3 tower. I can really crank it up without killing the ears of people on the boat. The only place it is too loud is if you sit across the bench in the back. Crystal clear at 80ft and I have them angled so you can hear the speakers out in the flats beside the boat.

Pros of 2 pair of tower speakers:

• More sound, louder stereo
  • Balanced look on tower (up for debate)
  • Better chance a rider can hear it at wakeboard rope length and speeds

Cons of 2 pairs of tower speakers:

• Cost of having 2 pairs vs 1
  • Double the amplifier power required
  • Louder in the boat too.
  • Hang height and placement issues on tower.
  • Like 4

I have two pair. They can and will get very loud clear sound to a wakeboarder if powered right.

When cranking to get sound to that rider, on a forward oriented tower like the G3, they will be incredibly loud in the cabin, especially in the lower position. To the point that I'd think there's a pretty good chance of hearing damage. If you are going to need people to sit behind the speakers (i.e. the back seat), keep in mind that those folks are sitting right in front of a flamethrower of sound.

They sound good in the boat, so higher volumes ARE tolerable, but keep in mind that two pair are really really friggin loud.

on a calm day, can you propel your boat with your flamethrower speakers?

I can't imagine two pair of Rev 12s, the one pair of Rev 10s I have seem to more than get the job done for me, of course I am not rockin Gangnam Style

I'm an anomaly here with just 1 pair of Rev 10's. Started with this just to see if 1 pair would be enough. I knew I could always add another set if necessary. And, they are plenty loud and clear. My objective was to be able to hear clearly behind the boat but didn't care to be the loudest on the lake. I accomplished that with 1 set. 2 sets will most likely give you both. With speakers of this magnitude, it's all about powering. If you fuel them correctly, 1 pair is all you will "need." Want/Desire is an entirely different story.

I will agree that 2 pair probably look "cooler" than 1 pair, but at the same time, being 10's, I don't feel like my boat looks incomplete. They are large speakers. And, I also agree with the comments about those on the back getting bombarded with sound. Even my single set will blast folks. So be careful.

Lastly, since you are considering a jump to a significantly more powerful speaker, I reccomend adding a WS-420 (approximately 300.00) to control your tower speakers independantly. Well worth the money. Personally, I think you'll want seperate controls for your tower if/when you upgrade to 1 or 2 sets. Plus, it's nice to be able to turn them down/off if you're floating and wantig to listen to just your cabin speakers at a normal level and still be able to carry on a conversation. Just my $.02.

bv

on a calm day, can you propel your boat with your flamethrower speakers?

I can't imagine two pair of Rev 12s, the one pair of Rev 10s I have seem to more than get the job done for me, of course I am not rockin Gangnam Style

yes, let's not forget the benefits of two pair!

I've had 1 pair of Rev10s on my last 3 boats... You put 400+ quality watts to each and that's plenty for me....and I like a big stereo. I tend to go heavier on sub than most. 1 pair of Revs has always been plenty for watersports and more than my fair share of party cove blasting.

My tower fits 1 pair tucked into the upper corners out of the way perfectly.... Another pair and I'd start hitting my head. Some guys do it, even 3 pair. No thanks.

Also increase your power consumption considerably.

I currently have 2 pair on my boat. They sound awesome. Our previous boat we only had 1 pair and loved them. The pros of going to two pair for us was being able to tune them differently since we aren't pushing them as hard to get same sound projection. The mid bass is ridiculous. That has made them sound way better than one pair IMO. Granted to most people you couldn't tell difference since they don't hear them every weekend.

I currently have 2 pair on my boat. They sound awesome. Our previous boat we only had 1 pair and loved them. The pros of going to two pair for us was being able to tune them differently since we aren't pushing them as hard to get same sound projection. The mid bass is ridiculous. That has made them sound way better than one pair IMO. Granted to most people you couldn't tell difference since they don't hear them every weekend.

Great point. Mine are high-passed pretty low too.

For what it is worth...

Having the REV410's I find them to be smoother and warmer than the plain Rev10's

So if you are thinking about just 1 pair of Rev10's, maybe you should audition a Rev410....just to make sure what your EARS like...

Here is a pair of rev 410's while I was breaking them in prior to mounting them on the tower...

I removed a pair of Pro485's that were powered by a SYN4 bridged

these rev 410's are being pwoered by the same SYN 4 on the Miles Davis song (1st one) and are at about 45-50% volume

the second video was the same Rev410's now being broken in by a pair of HT2's still at about 45-50% volume

they are really crystal clear, but the recording device was just my phone...so the loudness distorted it a little...

granted these videos are taken inside of my warehouse which is 40' wide, 300' long and has an open ceiling that goes up to about 18' at the peak....sides of the walls are all block and the inside of the roof is wood....just to give you the gist of the acoustics in there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19iVJYng3QI

Miles Davis on REV410's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DfNlbn2pys

Joe Bonamassa on REV410's

Edited by JB-FOOT

I love the 410's. I just hate how you have to mount them in the middle.

I have mine mounted on each end. but they do take up the entire width of my tower....but my tower is High and I also have my Bimini UNDERNEATH of my tower speakers, so they don't kill you inside of the boat.....

Playing brass on an HLCD. WOW! And that's what separates the Rev410.

Yes David,

I love the REV 410's....

They play it ALL.....from Miles Davis's "Time after Time" , to to Madonna's "Holiday" , to SRV's "Tin Pan Alley", to David Benoit's "Sara's Theme" .....and it also does Bass Nectar's "Bass Head" ,.....with Ease............

The 410's are like a thermos.....doesn't matter if you make it hot or cold, it just does both well....

I did not read the whole thread but here is my take. I have experienced one pair of rev 10's several times. It is more than enough. If you are not happy then add another pair. Unless you just have to be the guy who has more, one pair does it all.